to match my ESP AX and our neighbors BC rich Warlock

its his first instrument

suggestions?
^ this guy knows his stuff. both are a great choice for a beginner. Also maybe look into squier for a bass. their basses are much better than their guitars from what i hear about their guitars. But i'd pick the Ibanez since i'm an ibanez fanboy.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
ive heard many times that ibanez is the best for basses but they dont have anything... edgey... i guess

he just wants to mess around with us, he was looking at a BC rich virgin, anything like that?
ESP LTD AX-50
Rocktron VG08
i take that back the ICB looks pretty cool but its almost double what he wants to pay
ESP LTD AX-50
Rocktron VG08
So you want something that looks startling? Most of those types of basses (and guitars for that matter) usually aren't very good, BC Rich basses except for some of the high end ones are meh at best.
Yeah. Get him an Ibanez. If you're listening to a song on a CD/MP3 player, if what the instruments look like is important, something's wrong there. Not counting watching a music video on Certain MP3 players. Plus, (You'll hear this a ton on here) Ibanez basses are great for the money. Acoustic is good, I'd suggest a B20 since he's playing against two guitarists, if not a B100, although that might be a bit much for a beginner.
I agree, some very good cheap ibanez's out there. kinda makes me wish i started on one it might have lasted a bit longer than the ones i picked up.
My first bass though that i was happy with and had a bit of an edge to the look was my LTD F-104, which i mainly bought for the look, was always thinking bout getting a 414 but went away from LTD and got my fender jazz..

I stil think the F series are mean looking basses, i picked mine up for 500 bux first hand (australian dollars)
Instruments like that tend to be overpriced for their quality. If he's dead set on a wicked body type, though, there are bass versions of those 2 guitars for under $300 (Bronze Warlock and AX54). Just be warned, they're probably going to sound crappy as compared to a similarly priced Squier or Ibanez.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
I play a btb(although a much higher model) and i think it looks edgy enough without being over the top. I've never played a btb I didn't like and with ibanez's reputation for great basses on a budget this may suit him better.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-BTB200-Electric-4String-Bass?sku=517952

I believe there is also a 5 string model..would be the btb205

EDIT: remember that the icb was originally a guitar design and most basses made with a guitar design have horrible balance resulting in neck dive.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Oct 3, 2009,
The f54 seems to have good reviews and isn't mostly based on a guitar shape. Hard to go wrong for the price too. I've played a couple esp's in stores and they were ok basses. if he plays it and likes it(not just for the body shape) i'd say go for it.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Things like a BC Rich basses and the like are usually a very poor value for the what they cost. I would second the Ibanez GSR200 suggestion a million times over, its solid, cheap, sounds good, and it will last forever. A Squier is always a good bet too. When it comes to the ESP/LTD, I've played the F-104 before, its a a pretty solid bass. I would definitely recommend it over the F-54 simply because the extra pickup and the 2 band eq, its probably worth paying a little more for.
Tostitos, i was looking at that bass on another tab while just before i checked this thread. i think thats what im gunna try to get him to get.

just a random question, is there any reason all the links you guys post are from musiciansfriend.com rather than guitarcenter.com ?
ESP LTD AX-50
Rocktron VG08
Quote by TrabenBassist22
Yup you guessed it im going to suggest a Traben. They sound great and if he really wants an edgy look it'll work.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traben-Array-4String-Bass?sku=512053

thank you for remembering Traben! Great bass, yes, but out of all the suggestions, probably most awkward and difficult to play.

And musiciansfriend.com usually has a wider variety of equipment available, I know I don't use guitarcenter.com that much because its a form of Guitar Center, and I try not to buy from Guitar Center if I can help it, but thats just me supporting my local shops (although I can never resist going into Seattle's GC, its just so big and beautiful )
What about Schecter? I'm not well informed about their low-end basses, but it seemed to fit the bill, at least somewhat.
out of those two i would definitely say the Traben, however if it was between the Array and the F-104 then it would be a tough choice. The Array has a 3-band eq where the F-54 doesn't also the Traben has two pickups where the LTD only has one.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by Meta||ica
thank you for all the input but hes decided to get either of these, he cant decide:

ESP LTD F-54
http://www.espguitars.com/basses_f.html
Traben Array 4-String
http://www.trabenbass.com/array.php#

hes leaning on the ESP because it looks better, he knows nothing about tech specs
vote for your favorite

The traben is roughly 100 times better than the ESP
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
^
It really is. Go for the Traben. Mine is about on par with my MIM P bass.