Guys, I'm stuck between choices and I wanted to know what you think about it.

A couple of days ago I sold my Epiphone Les Paul to get some extra cash I needed to get a brand new MIM strat. The one I was really interested in was a fat strat with maple fretboard. Today I went to the guitar center in my city, and there it was; a MIM HSS strat (arctic white). I tested it on a few amps using only the bridge and the middle pickups, but when I switched on to the neck pickup it was too silent. The tech in the store got it checked for me and told me that the problem was probably the pickup itself, and not soldering.

After receiving such bad news, I asked him to call at other stores in the country (méxico, as you can see) just hoping that they could send a brand new one to me. He told me today that it's the only fat strat with maple fretboard left in most stores, and it would be hard to get one for me, or it would probably me delayed for a few weeks. The thing is, I need it for the next week, because we have 6 gigs coming these next months.

There are 2 arctic white strats left in the store, apart from the faulty one. But the dilemma lays between those two; One of them has a SSS setup and a maple fretboard, but the other one has a HSS pup setup and a rosewood fretboard. I tried them both already and I just CAN'T CHOOSE. They feel excellent in my hands.

What guitar would you choose if you were in this situation? I have thought of getting the SSS strat, and get a red lace sensor pickup for my birthday (november 19).

Cheers buddies, and
INB4 TL;DR
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
It depends on wether you like the maple neck that much better. If the HSS is really important and you can't wait but you like the maple neck you could always change the pickguard down the road. I don't think you going to be able to get the sound you want by putting a red lace sensor in. It won't sound the same as a humbucker.
Neither. only spend the money on the guitar you REALLY want. you settle for something less and you'll end up regretting it.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Do you need the beefy humbucker tone? Cause if it matters, then get it. Neck wood is important, but all the maple is gonna do is make you sound brighter by a bit.
arctic white with maple is way sexy. that gets my vote mainly because of the looks and also I feel like the humbucker on the HSS models needs to be swapped after market

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Quote by enselmis
Do you need the beefy humbucker tone? Cause if it matters, then get it. Neck wood is important, but all the maple is gonna do is make you sound brighter by a bit.

I forgot to mention, I'm only interested in the humbucker because of the noise reduction, not so much because of the fat tone. I've never tried a red lace sensor, but I'm guessing it can handle distortion quite well. Am I wrong?

:EDIT: The more I try rosewood the less I like it. I feel the freboard way smoother if it's maple.

:EDIT 2: What about a hot rail in the bridge of the SSS?
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Last edited by Svennz at Oct 2, 2009,
Quote by Svennz
I forgot to mention, I'm only interested in the humbucker because of the noise reduction, not so much because of the fat tone. I've never tried a red lace sensor, but I'm guessing it can handle distortion quite well. Am I wrong?

:EDIT: The more I try rosewood the less I like it. I feel the freboard way smoother if it's maple.

:EDIT 2: What about a hot rail in the bridge of the SSS?

When it comes to strats, I'm somewhat of a purist in terms of the SSS configuration compared to HSS. Don't get me wrong, HSS is fine, but I just think strats just seem like strats with the original SSS setup.

Now, onto the topic. You can get pickups that have noise reduction and still have that integrity of single coils. Dimarzio has them, I know Andy Timmons uses the Dimarzio cruiser and his Ibanez still has the pop and twang of single coils with the typical alder+maple config. Eric Johnson used the HS-2s from Dimarzio on his 1954 strat, and Paul Gilbert if I recall uses the area 61 set or whatever on his Fireman.

You can get 2 hum canceling single coil pickups, and a mini-bucker of a single coil sized humbucker. I think they also make stacked single coils, but I might be repeating what I might've already said.
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm going to check the guitar tomorrow before buying it (I don't want any fret buzz or crap). I'll update this thread in a few hours with guitar pr0n included.
w00t, I got the guitar 3 days ago but due to my lack of a camera, I had to take the pictures with my celphone. Here it is:

Last edited by Svennz at Oct 6, 2009,
If you shield it well, you can dramatically reduce hum, almost to the point where it's non-existant. I'm not sure about it when with distortion/overdrive though, but I'm sure it can help.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at Oct 6, 2009,