A|-------------------------0--------0------|
E|----3--1-----3--1-----0--------0---------|

G|---5--4-----5--5------3--2------3--2-----|
D|---7--5-----7--4-------------------------|
A|---0--------0------------3---------3-----|
E|------0--------0------3---------3-------|

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
You could've been so much nicer by giving us the chords. I do not feel like reading that.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Quote by Ghast
You could've been so much nicer by giving us the chords. I do not feel like reading that.

But I'm not really sure what chords they are...

And I guess this was dumb of me to post in the Bass Forum, thx for moving it...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Ummm... your best bet would probably be to think of it in the key of G. Can't really say for sure because you have some Bb's (3rd fret on G string) which point you towards the key of F, then there's an E chord as well which contains a G# (not common when playing in key of G). You can't always give a definite key to any piece of music.
I didnt actually play this, but maybe Dminor with a blues note? Either that or I would think like a hybrid C mixolydian with a minor sixth?
Due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Quote by Creative-Noise
Ummm... your best bet would probably be to think of it in the key of G. Can't really say for sure because you have some Bb's (3rd fret on G string) which point you towards the key of F, then there's an E chord as well which contains a G# (not common when playing in key of G). You can't always give a definite key to any piece of music.

Ok, thanks. I know the notes on the fretboard, I just suck at building chords... like when someone says to Flat the 3rd, or something (don't even know if you can do that... ), I suck at all that...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29

What key is this in?

G|----4--3-----4--3-----1--2-----1--2------|
D|----5--3-----5--3-----2--2-----2--2------|
A|-------------------------0--------0------|
E|----3--1-----3--1-----0--------0---------|

G|---5--4-----5--5------3--2------3--2-----|
D|---7--5-----7--4-------------------------|
A|---0--------0------------3---------3-----|
E|------0--------0------3---------3-------|

Your progression is:
G - Fsus4 - E - A5 - Am - Em - Gm - Am/C
with repeats after every other chord. The second time through the Em becomes C(♭5)/E

There isn't one key throughout. Looking only at your G string, the highest voice goes on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th frets. There is no key that contains five consecutive semitones.
Last edited by isaac_bandits at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by isaac_bandits
Your progression is:
G - Fsus4 - Eadd11 - A5/E - Am - Em - Gm - Am/C
with repeats after every other chord. (Second time through the Em becomes

There isn't one key throughout. Looking only at your G string, the highest voice goes on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th frets. There is no key that contains five consecutive semitones.

Ok, cool. Thanks.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
isaac most of your chords are right but I'm just wondering where you got the Eadd11 chord and the A5/E chord from. The E chord has an E bass note, an octave, and a major third, while the A chord is a power chord (root 5 octave). An add11 chord is when you have a chord with a root, at least a third, and a fourth above the octave, while an A5/E chord would have the low E string played as the bass note (which it isn't in the diagram). Other than that though, the rest of your chord names are good
Quote by st.stephen
isaac most of your chords are right but I'm just wondering where you got the Eadd11 chord and the A5/E chord from. The E chord has an E bass note, an octave, and a major third, while the A chord is a power chord (root 5 octave). An add11 chord is when you have a chord with a root, at least a third, and a fourth above the octave, while an A5/E chord would have the low E string played as the bass note (which it isn't in the diagram). Other than that though, the rest of your chord names are good

The A (0 on A string) in the A5 chord had moved over because of the way the text was aligned making it look like
G--1--2
D--2--2
A--0---
E--0---
as I was figuring out the chords. They should've been E and A5
Last edited by isaac_bandits at Oct 3, 2009,
Actually, this song does have a specific key. It is G. This confusion arises from the inclusion of non-diatonic chords, which is perfectly acceptable. The chords containing accidentals are borrowed chords.
Quote by Donswald
Actually, this song does have a specific key. It is G. This confusion arises from the inclusion of non-diatonic chords, which is perfectly acceptable. The chords containing accidentals are borrowed chords.

Fsus4, E, and Gm are all not diatonic to G. You can look at them as borrowed chords, or you can look at them as modulations. Its really up to the people writing or playing it to decide how they want to interpret a non-diatonic progression, as there are multiple correct ways.
so tell me how do you figure out what cord is what.. whats the process i no that i would have to read something in music theory but what lesson would you guys suggest