I'm heading up to Guitar Center Sunday with my friend to try out a lot of stuff, and he might buy a pedal. He's horrible when it comes to tone (he loves my Spider and his friend's Raven amp), so what would be some pedals for him to absolutely avoid, and some alternatives?

Ones I know of already:

Boss DS-1
Any "Uber/Death/etc. Metal" (Although I think there's one good one, I can't remember)
Digitech Grunge
Behringer

Oh, and if you want to know the stuff he has at his house:

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (I believe)
MIA Fender Strat
BC Rich Avenge
BC Rich Warlock

Vintage Fender Twin Reverb
Peavey Envoy 110
Last edited by Alex Vik at Oct 3, 2009,
DS-1 is actually a great pedal after you mod it. You can get a great pedal for $50 ($30 + $20 soldering kit)
Some of Behringer pedals are great, namely the modulation FX.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
DS-1 is actually a great pedal after you mod it. You can get a great pedal for $50 ($30 + $20 soldering kit)
Some of Behringer pedals are great, namely the modulation FX.

He'd never mod it. The only way it would be modded is if I asked to borrow it for a week and did it myself.
Oh, and I'll keep that on my "good" list.
Avoid Line 6, Behringer, boss distortion if you're not going to mod.
MXR, Hardwire distortion ftw.
Ibanez makes great budget pedals.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
I'd really avoid any boss pedals that aren't over 120 dollars (like the bassman). I'd also avoid voodoo lab, lava lamps, and most autowahs (simply because you get more value out of just buying a modeling set up or a manual wah pedal). That said, a TS-9 screamer is good for all of those guitars.
Quote by Plexi81
I'd really avoid any boss pedals that aren't over 120 dollars (like the bassman). I'd also avoid voodoo lab, lava lamps, and most autowahs (simply because you get more value out of just buying a modeling set up or a manual wah pedal). That said, a TS-9 screamer is good for all of those guitars.

for a moment i thought you were dissing voodoo lab in genereal
but my sparkle drive is sweetness in a box, and their vibe pedal is pretty cool too.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by Plexi81

it's not the price of the boss pedals that makes them suck, it's what they do to your high and low frequencies. unless you're buying an old MIJ (which i doubt you'll find on the shelf at GC unless you're crazy lucky) or you plan on getting it modded,, spare yourself the "boss experience."

jc: i assume by "avoid line 6" you mean the tonecore pedals, right? DL4's not too shabby... but that's the only one from L6 i can think of right now that i even kinda' like.
Quote by GrisKy

jc: i assume by "avoid line 6" you mean the tonecore pedals, right? DL4's not too shabby... but that's the only one from L6 i can think of right now that i even kinda' like.

Well i said Line 6 distortion.......
But some of Line 6s high-end multifx are ok........ i guess
I do love the DL4, and the Verbzilla isnt bad for the price. Other than that.......

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by GrisKy
it's not the price of the boss pedals that makes them suck, it's what they do to your high and low frequencies. unless you're buying an old MIJ (which i doubt you'll find on the shelf at GC unless you're crazy lucky) or you plan on getting it modded,, spare yourself the "boss experience."

Well I really was only refering to the bassman pedal there, that and a boss equalizer are the only boss pedals I'd ever really drop money on.

OD1 and 2 though are quite helpful in making some solid state amps sound better, haven't used them much at all though, just try outs.
A Barber Electronics Dirty Bomb is a nice pedal, a good alternative. However, you won't find one at a Guitar Center.

I would avoid a Marshall Jackhammer, unless you plan on getting it modded. The overdrive channel is pretty good, but the distortion is weak and the controls aren't very responsive. However, if you send it to Von Lehmann or mod it yourself it can be a nice distortion pedal. For overdrive, however, it is very nice right off the shelf. I have seen these go for around $50 on some sites, so shop around.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Be careful with Ibanez pedals...Ibanez has NO warranty for its pedals. Go to their website if you doubt me. My WD7's footswitch broke down on me and there's not much I can do about it. I suppose their TS9s and TS808s are fine, but stay away from the Tone-lok series.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
Be careful with Ibanez pedals...Ibanez has NO warranty for its pedals. Go to their website if you doubt me. My WD7's footswitch broke down on me and there's not much I can do about it. I suppose their TS9s and TS808s are fine, but stay away from the Tone-lok series.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind. I had been thinking of an Ibanez Bass Overdrive, but I guess I'll splurge sometime on a high quality pedal.
Quote by stykerwolf
He likes a spider over a Twin Reverb? Even a deaf man would tell the differance

Anyways back on topic, i would suggest the MXR GT-od, the Customshop green one.
Other then that, the MXR distortion pedal isn't that bad.

I never said he liked the Spider more than the Fender, but he is incredibly tone deaf.
Danelectro Cool Cat series pedals are really nice budget pedals. Not the FAB ones.

Artec has nice budget pedals too.

The analog digitech stuff isn't terrible.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
electro harmonix?

i think they really rock..even the nano series...my guitar buddy got himself a micro q-tron..sounds great for 60€
Behringer make some fantastic pedals. I proper hate pedal snobbery. The VD400 + VT-1 Anallog Delay's are brilliant, The Reverb is meant to be very good along with the digital delays, The tubescreamer copy doesent seem bad either. and many more they do, However the distortions (aside from apperntly the muff copy?) are pretty much a no go.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.