We are using this play at my school this year and we are talking about the death penalty in a lot of our classes. We had to write an objective paper for arguments for and against the death penalty and the history and why it is such a big issue.

In the book, and in the movie, they use the process of forgiveness is more important part of the story regardless if it is right or not.

I guess the question here is how does one determine the right thing to do when there is so much controversy, and both sides of the argument make sense.

The idea of the death penalty has been around since biblical times and through those teachings such as, “an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth”. There have also been disputes against the death penalty for just as long. Christianity teaches to “turn the other cheek,” which says that two wrongs don’t make a right, stating the opposite (The Holy Bible).

The first argument for the death penalty is that one shall not go unpunished by process of law. If one does something that they should not, they should be reprimanded for their wrongdoing equitably. (Literally: an eye for an eye). The logic behind this principle is straightforward: You kill somebody you should die.
However, not all people believe that this principle should be taken so extremely. Some religions say that killing is wrong and that it never shall be done, no matter what: thou shall not kill (Torah). They believe that certain punishments shall not be taken so extremely because they are inhumane or are blasphemous.

Another for the death penalty is that if one who is constantly using advantages and holes in government systems to constantly “get away” with crimes, and then they would run rampant and go on killing sprees that would not be punishable by death. The argument says that if you kill one, and possibly save a thousand.

The argument against that is that you should not use capital punishment because it is unconstitutional and it infringes on the right of life and liberty. The thing that has been up for debate is what the extent of due process. In the Trop vs. Dulles case in 1958, the Supreme Court deemed Capital Punishment unconstitutional by the Eighth and Fourteenth Amendment.

What is right?
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Kill em all.

good album
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
I say if you kill someone, if it's not accidental, you should be killed in the same way in which you killed that person.

Accidental manslaughter is another story though.
pfft, I saw if they killed some one and it was'nt out of self defense then they should get the chair, because why should we be payin taxes so a murderous bastard has a place to sleep at night?
I think that humans in general are a plague unto the universe that accidentally birthed them.

That's right: I am not pro choice or pro life. I AM ANTI-LIFE.
Quote by Bluesy...
We had to write an objective paper for arguments for and against the death penalty and the history and why it is such a big issue.
Quote by Bluesy...
The argument against that is that you should not use capital punishment because it is unconstitutional and it infringes on the right of life and liberty.
Dude, don't go there or your teacher will think you're fucking retarded and send you to special education classes.

Every person in prison is having their "right to liberty" infringed upon. Do you think they will all be set free because it's "unconstitutional"?

There are plenty of REAL reasons why capital punishment is wrong.
The most obvious reason is this:

The judicial system routinely makes mistakes. It's not perfect.
If we send someone to prison for life and find out 10 years later they were not guilty, we can set them free. True, they don't get those years of their life back. But they DO get the rest of their life.

When you execute someone, it's GAME OVER.
Find out later, it was mistake and you can't repair the wrong.
Dead people stay dead.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

If we send someone to prison for life and find out 10 years later they were not guilty, we can set them free. True, they don't get those years of their life back. But they DO get the rest of their life.

Dead people stay dead.

DNA testing and matching and ect. ect. of today has made that possibility decrease brah (can't remember the dudes name but he was released because of it), but yeah sure there is still that chance of someone at the office ****ing up and that screaming oh **** a year after the inmate was executed.
Costs more to kill a person than to give them life in prison. Not to mention life in prison is far far far worse than the death penalty. Okay, you die, that's it. You're not gonna do anyting ever again but guess what? You're also not gonna give a **** about this little detail, why? Easy; Dead people don't think, feel, or suffer. Prison is hell, therefore, a life spent in prison is a life spent in hell. You can get as religous as you like; you can say that this person will go to hell once we kill them and that will be one thousand times worse than prison, but you don't know that. Give them hell on earth to learn from their mistakes; THEN you can let your god sort it out. The whole point of punishment is not simply to discourage crime; punishment is supposed to teach you to be good. How can someone learn to be good if they are ****ing dead? They can't. I guarantee you there isn't a single soul who can spend their entire life in prison without thinking, just for a minute, "Wow, I ****ed up." You know who doesn't feel remorse? The dead. They don't feel anything at all. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. If a man kills another man, who are we to punish him if all we are going to do is kill him. You can't say something is bad if your just going to turn around and do it yourself. You can't say tell explain to someone why they shouldn't smoke with a hundred dollar bill in one hand and a cigarette in the other. You can't tell someone killing is wrong if your just going to turn around kill them for it. Am I the only one who hears how stupid that sounds? "Killing is bad, therefore, if you kill, we will kill you." Be the bigger person. Put down the nooses, lethal injections, and electric chairs and teach a real lesson.
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
I think we should let the spouse and children of the murder victim have 30min that they can go into a room and torture the inmate/murderer, do what ever they want to him except kill him....
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Dude, don't go there or your teacher will think you're fucking retarded and send you to special education classes.

I got an A+ on the paper

Every person in prison is having their "right to liberty" infringed upon. Do you think they will all be set free because it's "unconstitutional"?

If you infringe on someone's rights, then you have that right of your own revoked, or that is the general idea of the justice system. What is the definition of having your life taken away, a life in containment or death.

The point is that how should your life and your liberty be infringed upon? And do two wrongs make a right? People do stupid things and disable their own rights out of fear. That is why prisons get so much money. Did you know that it is more expensive to keep someone in jail then it is to send you to a UC? I think that they should make prison worse so that the rate at which criminals recommit crimes goes down (it's about at 90% now).

There are plenty of REAL reasons why capital punishment is wrong.
The most obvious reason is this:

Dead people stay dead.

An eye for an eye, or turn the other cheek, which is the best thing to do.

To turn the other cheek takes a much stronger person than one who wants revenge. In dead man walking, everyone saw him as not human for what he did and they wanted revenge. That is worse than killing. Killing someone for a reason that they are too much of a risk for society and as a deterrent for future murderers are the only logical reason for the death penalty.

Quote by Stoner stone

Costs more to kill a person than to give them life in prison. Not to mention life in prison is far far far worse than the death penalty. Okay, you die, that's it. You're not gonna do anyting ever again but guess what? You're also not gonna give a **** about this little detail, why? Easy; Dead people don't think, feel, or suffer. Prison is hell, therefore, a life spent in prison is a life spent in hell. You can get as religous as you like; you can say that this person will go to hell once we kill them and that will be one thousand times worse than prison, but you don't know that. Give them hell on earth to learn from their mistakes; THEN you can let your god sort it out. The whole point of punishment is not simply to discourage crime; punishment is supposed to teach you to be good. How can someone learn to be good if they are ****ing dead? They can't. I guarantee you there isn't a single soul who can spend their entire life in prison without thinking, just for a minute, "Wow, I ****ed up." You know who doesn't feel remorse? The dead. They don't feel anything at all. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. If a man kills another man, who are we to punish him if all we are going to do is kill him. You can't say something is bad if your just going to turn around and do it yourself. You can't say tell explain to someone why they shouldn't smoke with a hundred dollar bill in one hand and a cigarette in the other. You can't tell someone killing is wrong if your just going to turn around kill them for it. Am I the only one who hears how stupid that sounds? "Killing is bad, therefore, if you kill, we will kill you." Be the bigger person. Put down the nooses, lethal injections, and electric chairs and teach a real lesson.

Wrong. The price to kill someone is relatively small, the costs come from the appeals and that can happen with anyone in prison. In about 15 years of someone in prison is comparable to about 5 years on death row if my sources are true and that is only because there are a lot more reasons for an appeal for someone on death row because there is more at stake. The biggest punishment on death row is the fear of death. I think that knowing the exact date and certainty of one's death would be worse than a life in containment. Most people don't think of death as a release, they fear it and that is why they appeal.

I also don't think that prison is hell. If it was the recommission rate of criminals wouldn't be 90%. When you are in prison, you eat 3 meals a day, get play time in a yard and x amount of time in a cell. You have a job that you get paid when you get out and you can sufficiently survive. Most of the time, they have a higher quality of life in prison than out because nobody hires ex-cons and nobody trusts them so the only way for them to survive is to recommit a crime. Life after prison is hell, or it can be. Prison is just routine and loss of freedom, from what i have read from ex-cons.

Would you all say the death penalty is right if the executions were public like they were 70 years ago? Would you say the death penalty is right if you were the one to be executed?
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
oh yeah, i remember watchin the movie for a religion course last fall.