Hello. I've owned the 3120 since late January/Febuary this year. Love the amp, but I've had an issue with the FX loop since purchase. Not quite sure if it's faulty, or another problem.

I run my units as so: from guitar to tuner/wah/od-1/od-2/decimator/to amp.

The FX loop is from send to input of volume pedal/flanger/delay-1/delay-2/reverb/to return.

In Rhythm or Lead, toe up on the volume produces a very nice, hushed output through the speakers, as if my amp wasn't on. When in toe down, there is a horrible howl or whistle. It isn't too noticable if I'm jamming all out with the volume on my guitar wide open, but rolled back and playing quieter stuff, it's noticable.

Also, I've noticed while jamming an audible pop or crack that is somewhere in the fx loop. On occasion, I run two delay's at a time (short and long) with reverb on. I'm not sure if it's the two delay's interfering with each other, or another unit in the chain causing the pop.

Any and all input will be much appreciated!

P.S., months back I was asked for clips of the amp. Two tracks were inproperly mixed (an impromptu session at my church with my friend, I didn't know he was recording), but they give a small idea of what I do and what tones I got going on through my 3120. If you like what you hear, please join!

David Stewart Music

Again, thanks for any input! Rock on!
Ibanez S520EX w/DM Pro and FRED
Peavey 3120
Egnater Tourmaster 2x12 Cab
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Way Huge Electronics Pork Loin
Ibanez TS9-DX Turbo Tube Screamer
ISP Technologies Decimator
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
Lol Peaveys answer to Bugeras budget range. I predict more faults come out the woodwork.
^Pffff.....It's basically an XXX with a 3120 name on it and EL34 tubes.

Too bad I don't do facebook PV3120

Upload here bro, it's easy. It's already an MP3 right?

As far as your problem, I can only think of a few things. Personally, I'd put the Reverb up front before ISP. You can then experiment with bringing the delay pedal(s) up front too. First one, and then the other.

I run everything up front now except Volume pedal and EQ. My delay and phaser are up front and they work great. I did not do that because I was having issues I just tried it one day. Is your ISP up front because you have noise from your guitar? If not, try moving it to the loop at the end. Actually, try that first - and then move pedals up front like I was saying.

After that, I'm not really sure. I doubt it is a amp quality issue but

Rock on.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 3, 2009,
I've tried running my FX up front, and all 4 fx (flanger, delays and reverb) lost there effect going in the front end. I guess the effects lost there fx going straight in rather than through the fx loop with too much gain eating it up?

I run the decimator after all my units before going into the front end of the amp to eliminate some of the hum I was possibly getting from the guitar/along with any possible noise from wah and od's. In the fx loop the decimator solves my noise issue but then I get extreme noise from the front end. Especially when one of my od's are on. Also the decimator takes away from some of the effects parameters, or depth.
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
ok, I was going to say maybe you need another ISP. Or a G major.

I'll sell you my SmartGate for cheap as I don't even need it anymore. Wait, you are ways away

Crackle and pop in the loop is not good...I'm not really sure what to suggest there. How is everything powered? Decent patch cables? Loop jacks are secure and all?

I guess I'd still try your short delay up front again and long delay in loop.

There is a clip in my profile called 'Smartgate demo'. That is with my delay pedal up front. Same riff without and with the Gate. The second half of the clip is high gain.
Uploaded four songs. Don't think my page is working. I click on it and there is no content:

Try here: David Stewart Music @ Reverbnation

Or: David Stewart Music @Ultimateguitar.com
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
Does the 3120 use a preamp tube for the f/x loop? Maybe you could try a low gain tube in that position.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
311ZOSOVHJH, glad to hear you enjoyed the clips! I listened to some of your clips. I love the sound of your Splawn amp. Have you heard of Disciple? There ex lead guitarist plays Splawn.

About my issue, I haven't really made an advancements to the problem.

boxcarmonument, All I know is according to the manual the four EL34 Power amp tubes are driven by a 12AX7, with three 12AX7's in the preamp. the 3120 I bought came with JJ tubes in it.
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
311ZOSOVHJH, thank you for the comments on my songs. I just read them, and I truly appreciate them. I'm very humbled as well with your comment on Blackberry Jam! Haha!

BTW, that little bit of whistle or hum you hear before I start jamming on "Riff in F" is the noise I get when the volume is toe down from my FX loop...
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
^hmmm, that's interesting. I'll have to listen to that again later. I didn't realize you had this 'noise' recorded

Quote by PV3120
311ZOSOVHJH, glad to hear you enjoyed the clips! I listened to some of your clips. I love the sound of your Splawn amp. Have you heard of Disciple? There ex lead guitarist plays Splawn.

About my issue, I haven't really made an advancements to the problem.

boxcarmonument, All I know is according to the manual the four EL34 Power amp tubes are driven by a 12AX7, with three 12AX7's in the preamp. the 3120 I bought came with JJ tubes in it.

Thanks for the comments. If I could play better my Splawn would sound even better

No, I didn't realize that band used those amps, I'll have to check them out.

Is it possible you have a microphonic 12AX7 preamp tube. Do you know how to do the preamp test for microphonics?
Where are the send and return levels set to on the back of the amp? They should be at equal (5 & 5) or opposite intervals (8 & 2)

I would also replace the V3 preamp tube, which controls both the active eq's and the effects loop. It may be faulty.

Also, spray contact cleaner inside the send and return jacks. They might be dirty.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
311ZOSOVHJH, if I could play better I'm sure my 3120 would sound better, so I'm right there with ya! Lol! If you do check out Disciple's Music look for their album's Scars Remain and Southern Hospitality. These are the albums that you'll hear a Splawn on, as earlier albums featured Marshalls.

No, I don't know how to do the preamp test for microphonics.

Van Noord, the send is all the way (10?) while return is about 2. Thank you for your reply to the matter, as well!
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
^OK. I'll check it and add it to the Only Thread for Splawn Amplification.

preamp tube check:

unplug your guitar
Take all the aluminum casings off the preamp tubes
to do this push down and turn a 1/4 turn to the left (the casing, not the tube)
turn the amp on and turn the volume up
tap/nudge each preamp tube with the eraser end of a pencil
if you can hear the 'tapping' thru your speaker, that tube 'may' be microphonic
all preamp tubes are microphonic by nature, so I'm talking 'overly-microphonic'.
replace said tube
I'll give it a try. Thank you for the help.

Answer me this: I was told should a tube need replacing, then you need to replace ALL the tubes and must get the amp re-biased by an expert technichain. Is this true? If so I better start looking for a tube amp tech in the Lakeland Florida area...
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
**UPDATE**

Problem found: one of my Preamp tubes proved Microphonic. My local GC doesn't stock JJ (which is what came in the amp upon purchase). They have GT preamp tubes which are either the Sovteks or EH type. So now I'm in search for some preamp tubes.

Any recommendations?

I like the JJ's and I want something close to the amount of gain and tone they produce. Don't really know what GC will give me. The only other store in my area is Carlton's Music Center, but I don't care for their service or selection.

I need a new tube, or tubes by Sunday.

Also, if I get one GT tube and install it with the 3 remaining JJ's, will a mix and match work or will I be better off replacing all four in the preamp?

Thanks for any and all help once again!
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
It was V3 that went bad right? If so it doesn't really mater which 12ax7 you use, that tube really has little effect on the tone, V1 and V2 change you tone the most, use a what ever you have available, JJ 12AX7s are pretty decent tubes, but in V3 any tube you use will have very little effect on your tone, so its not that impotant which brand goes in that position.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Oct 6, 2009,
Yeah, any tube will work for now PV. GuitarCenter only carries GroveTubes as far as I know so just get whatever.

When you want to settle down on preamp tonal changes we can help you.

I would contact Doug at dougtubes.com and tell him what you want. Great guy.

I recently got a TungSol, Penta Labs and JAN Phillips 12AX7s from him so that should tell you that you can def mix things up.

Mullards are close to JJs so if you can find Mullard NOS tubes, that is what I would get if you have the money.

Glad you got the issues resolved
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 6, 2009,
Hmmm, don't really know what tube it was. I'm guessing it was the V3. On the 3120, it's this one:

3120 Rear
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
i suggest getting jj ecc83s
in my experience, they sound the best
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
311ZOSOVHJH, thanks for the dougs tubes link. Found some JJ ECC 83 S's.

If it was the V3 tube that went out (don't really know) what type of tube should I get? Standard test, balanced triodes, high gain, or high gain and balanced, and what should I get if it's one of the other tubes?

V3?
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
V1 is typically the furthest away from the power tubes and closet to the insert jack. V3 (or last preamp tube) is typically closest to the power tubes as it is the phase inverter in a Class A/B amp.

Forget all the balanced and tested BS. If you like high gain get the high gain version of the JJ. JJs are darker sounding then say a Tung Sol. If you you want better cleans you would look for a 12AT7 vs 12AX7.

Email Doug.

Hope that helps. I don't own a 3120, I just want one.

you are welcome and you can just call me 311.

everyone else does.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 6, 2009,
Well then I'm guessing THIS is the V1. Furthest from the Power tubes, and the input jack is just about in the same area on the flip side. Thanks for that info, 311!
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
Last edited by PV3120 at Oct 6, 2009,
ecc83 is basically a 12ax7, and i suggest running jj because they sound best with a darker pre amp
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Ok, cool. Thanks you guys!
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
Quote by PV3120
Well then I'm guessing THIS is the V1. Furthest from the Power tubes, and the input jack is just about in the same area on the flip side. Thanks for that info, 311!

Yep. I can't guarantee that is it but I'm 99% sure. I mean really, you want to just replace the tube that is microphonic despite which V slot it's in.

You're welcome my friend

Hope that does the trick.
The V3 tube I said to check and replace is located here: (PW are the power tubes)

PW_PW_PW_PW_v4
.................v3____v2____ v1
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Oct 7, 2009,
Thank you Van Noord! According to that diagram, then it was the V1 that micro'ed. I've got a "High Gain" JJ on order from Doug'd tubes...
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^except maybe in a Valveking

yes- ecc83 is the same thing. I think it is just the European name but has nothing to do with Europe, they are the same. Kinda like tubes vs valves.

i meant in the xxx cuz its so damn bright
or 3120. same difference
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by PV3120
Thank you Van Noord! According to that diagram, then it was the V1 that micro'ed. I've got a "High Gain" JJ on order from Doug'd tubes...
That's the tube I put the V1 spot of my JSX. One of the best tone improvements for these amps IMO. Hopefully it solves your problem. If not, be sure to try it in every other spot as well.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Oct 8, 2009,
Just got my JJ from Doug, and installed it into the V1 of my amp. I'm still getting loads of noise from the amp whether I have the FX loop on or not. Also, it sounds as the I have more noise than ever with the FX loop off.

So now what? Do I go switching my tubes from spot to spot, or what? Also, for the V1, 2, 3, and 4, what do they control in a peavey amp?

Thanks again for any and all help!

***UPDATE***
I just found out the V4 tube isn't a JJ 12AX7, but an EH 12AX7EH, with the numbers 06 12 on it. If I'm not mistaken, isn't the V4 tube the driver to the EL34's? Is having the EH12AX7 in amid the JJ's causing a porblem of some kind?
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
Last edited by PV3120 at Oct 10, 2009,
any ideas?
Peavey 3120
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Dunlop 535Q
Boss BF-3
Two Boss DD-3s
Boss RV-5
Try it in every other spot. Every brand of preamp tube will work in any slot, in any combination.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by lucertia.
Lol Peaveys answer to Bugeras budget range. I predict more faults come out the woodwork.

Uneducated? The 3120 is the almost exactly the same as the XXX, with a name change and EL-34 tubes. Slight circuit mods (has much better cleans), but it's definitely not a "budget" amp.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Oct 11, 2009,
Quote by PV3120
Just got my JJ from Doug, and installed it into the V1 of my amp. I'm still getting loads of noise from the amp whether I have the FX loop on or not. Also, it sounds as the I have more noise than ever with the FX loop off.

So now what? Do I go switching my tubes from spot to spot, or what? Also, for the V1, 2, 3, and 4, what do they control in a peavey amp?

Thanks again for any and all help!

***UPDATE***
I just found out the V4 tube isn't a JJ 12AX7, but an EH 12AX7EH, with the numbers 06 12 on it. If I'm not mistaken, isn't the V4 tube the driver to the EL34's? Is having the EH12AX7 in amid the JJ's causing a porblem of some kind?

No. I doubt it.

Swap things around like Van was saying. Also - email Peavey on their support site.