hello, i dont know if this is in the right section or not but i am quite stuck right now.
From where can i get some good blues licks. I have tried several books but when playing through them i didnt like any of the licks that the book had. Its just that there is something about them that just does not feel right. What other ways are there for me to acquire some blues licks that i can generally use to improvise or make my own songs later on.
Blues music.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Yeah, I'd recommend looking into some blues music. Learning some tracks from some blues players you admire?
If you're not too familiar with blues guitarists, now's the time to change that.
Not a huge fan of bees
the latest "Total Guitar" is pretty good. It has a special on "Green Onions" by Booker T & The MGs.

It's pretty cool. Also has a few sections on phrasing techniques, which would totally help you out with your blues impro.

EDIT: this is pretty cool too
http://www.totalguitar.co.uk/page/totalguitar?entry=riff_writing_lesson_with_neil
Last edited by mdwallin at Oct 3, 2009,
I believe it was Zappa who said, "good musicians borrow... great musicians steal!"

as contemporary blues guitarists go (of which there are few with the level of popularity of "name recognition") I'd say look into Joe Bonomasa. Great licks and amazing tone, excellent dynamic control.

For blues-rockers, look no further than Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Beck, Allman, Perry, Slash...

...and a personal favorite, Buddy Guy. I've jacked more riffs from that guy than I know what to do with!
Quote by GrisKy
I believe it was Zappa who said, "good musicians borrow... great musicians steal!"

as contemporary blues guitarists go (of which there are few with the level of popularity of "name recognition") I'd say look into Joe Bonomasa. Great licks and amazing tone, excellent dynamic control.

For blues-rockers, look no further than Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Beck, Allman, Perry, Slash...

...and a personal favorite, Buddy Guy. I've jacked more riffs from that guy than I know what to do with!

Yeah, Buddy Guy is one of those absolutely endless sources of inspiration, because his career has been so long and his playing has stayed fresh throughout. I saw him live last December and he absolutely blew the roof off.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Yea i mean Blues can be seen in the blues in the more ortodox sense or in the great rock guitarists of the 60s 70s and some that were even later. GrisKy gave some great example of the best I think SRV should be noted as well.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Blues music.

+1

the best source for learning a particular style of music, is the music itself.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by brownsfan456
Yea i mean Blues can be seen in the blues in the more ortodox sense or in the great rock guitarists of the 60s 70s and some that were even later. GrisKy gave some great example of the best I think SRV should be noted as well.

you're absolutely right. i don't know how i left SRV off the list!