Hey all,

I'm looking for some ideas regarding how to write down the songs I write. I seem to have lots of ideas but forget them after i put down my axe. Anyone have some techniques for writing them down they can share? I don't really want to tab out the whole damn thing...perhaps some shorthand method?

You guys rock!
Gear
2002 Ibanez RGT42
Marshall AVT150h + JCM900
Buncha pedals
I always use lined paper as tab format, and just scribble what only I can understand on it. As I read it, it usually comes back to me. But, from there, I've been sooo addicted to Tuxguitar recently. I've taken little guitar licks and turned them into full on songs, with drums and even orchestra and piano parts. I don't know if I recommend all that, because I'm a little bit of a perfectionist. But, yeah, shorthand lined-paper tabs work the best for me. Especially at like 3am when you can barely see. Lol
Record it somehow when it enters your mind.
Quote by alcoholicpanda
Depression?

Kill it with Lysol.

Quote by i_killed_bill
Some guy in a striped sweater stole all my hamburgers. **** was soooo not cash
just write parts of the song in tab, then when you look at it later you will remember.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
listen to how it sounds and remember that, not how you should play it
alternatively recording is best, or standard notation
Quote by rocknroll93
just write parts of the song in tab, then when you look at it later you will remember.

this has worked well for me, too. i just notated a few bars, prtty much the main melody, and everytime i come back to it it makes sense. nothin' beats a decent recording tho.
lol, tab IS the short hand way, but i guess recording yourself can work fine.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

cheap tape deck + notes = priceless
seriously spend $30 at radio shack on a cheap tape deck with a built in mic, record the songs on tape and name them on the tape "this is stupid stuff 1" then write notes in a notebook "stupid stuff 1 - E G A D 3/4 time" so when you listen back to it and look at the notes you know its E G A & D in that order in 3/4 time, all you have to do is follow the picking pattern.
^ good idea. I just make sure there are lots of blanks sheets of paper (or blank tab) lying around my practice area. When I play something and say "that's a keeper", I just stop and scribble it down so it doesn't get lost.
I film my stuff with a video camera, that way I'll hear it and see what I'm doing. Often when I go back to look at tabs, I can't for the life of me remember rhythms and melodies.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
I film my stuff with a video camera, that way I'll hear it and see what I'm doing. Often when I go back to look at tabs, I can't for the life of me remember rhythms and melodies.

this is why standard with a tempo wins. had the same problem years back before i just sucked it up and started writing standard. at the very least, making rythmic notations beside your tabs should work.
Quote by rotzak
Hey all,

I'm looking for some ideas regarding how to write down the songs I write. I seem to have lots of ideas but forget them after i put down my axe. Anyone have some techniques for writing them down they can share? I don't really want to tab out the whole damn thing...perhaps some shorthand method?

You guys rock!

Producers just write the concepts down and parts on a big white board. I like to do that when I am not thinking clearly and then record all of my jam sessions. Mapping is very very useful.
Last edited by silentdud at Oct 4, 2009,