Page 1 of 4
I'm not into his stuff, but he was both a good player and had Synesthesia.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Good, but not as amazing as people make him.

But his music is great.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
ill definitally admit he had skill, but to be honost, idont think he was the greatest at all, people pretty much worship him, and I just dont believe he was that great. of course he had skill, he was great, but not THAT great
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
ill definitally admit he had skill, but to be honost, idont think he was the greatest at all, people pretty much worship him, and I just dont believe he was that great. of course he had skill, he was great, but not THAT great
would you say that many shredders were better than him?
Wasn't the greatest when it came to skill, but he was innovative and extremely influential.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

I hope that I can put this thread to an end by saying this.

A god.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Quote by slash4114
Wasn't the greatest when it came to skill, but he was innovative and extremely influential.

exactly,

I love his music and i think he was a great player but defenetly not the best there ever was.
This isn't a fair discussion without putting it in the context of the time Jimi lived in.

He was/is I think slightly overrated as a guitar player, but enormously underrated as a song writer, and correctly labeled one of the great innovators in "modern" guitar.

The best? No. Probably not.

Among the all time greats? Absolutely.

*edit* Bummer it took me so long to write that. Good call slash.
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Last edited by strat2finish at Oct 3, 2009,
To judge him fairly, you have to consider the times he lived in.

There were few, if any "shredders" at that point.

He innovated much of what we take for granted today.

He was so much at one with his guitar that he'd compensate for the guitar going out-of-tune (from his whammy abuse) by bending the strings just the right amount they needed to sound in tune.
Quote by jbreeze420
would you say that many shredders were better than him?

not really, personally, i like what John petrucci and Michael Romeo can do, I think they are better in my honost opinion, and not because they can shred everything into dust, I like how they write their melodies, their structures of music, the arrangements. i unno, im a prog head so maybe thats why i like them better
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
man jimi was the king, knew no music theory but his improv was impeccable, he was so far advanced than any other player at the time, i dont worship him as a person but as a musician
Jimi Hendrix is the only player I've ever heard and said to myself...

"He is a natural"

Simply put, he was a prodigy, just one of those types that are born to play guitar, which is the highest praise I could give anyone, and I consider him a more gifted than the likes of Petrucci, Vai, etc. Can they play faster, and do more physically demanding things? Well... yes, however, in the end, anyone who puts in the practice and training, will be able to replicate that kind of stuff, there is nothing outstanding about what they're doing outside of their technical abilities, and yes, some of their songs are pretty cool, but when it comes down to it, those aren't natural talents, they're not the same kinds of gifts that Hendrix had. No one has ever been able to play like Hendrix did, and adapt his unique style. And not only that but his playing, it's... art, it's masterful, it's like a Monet painting.

I didn't even know how to appreciate Hendrix until I had played for several years, it wasn't until I went through all the learning of what virtuosity was through the likes of modern shredders, learning "proper" guitar playing and technique, taking a knowledge based approaches to playing guitar, etc. that I actually understood what made Hendrix so good. Basically I saw this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pro_Fl9shjg

And it completely changed how I viewed guitar playing. That performance of that song epitomizes Hendrix's brilliance as a guitar player to me. Everyone could listen and watch it, and at some point or another will hear something in his playing that is just you... Idk appreciate the guitar and the kind of music a person can create. Listen to his playing during the verses, it is impeccable. Every note is perfectly placed, it's not about playing them faster or cleaner, it's about playing the "right" note when there is no "right" note. New, inexperienced guitarists and metal heads rarely ever appreciate the qualities in Hendrix's playing that made it so good, especially if they're expecting to hear a guitar "god" bust out impressive solos. They're subtle qualities, too many people just associate Hendrix with all the noise that he made, and his innovative use of effects, distortion, etc. and not enough attention is paid to the things that made him such a superb guitarist

Jimi Hendrix is one of the most talented guitarists to ever play, in any time context, transplant him into today's music and he is still one of the best to play. He is just like one of those people who looks at a piano for the first time, you leave them there and come back in a few hours and they're playing and creating beautiful music, not necessarily with a ton of technical proficiency, or with a lot of knowledge of how to play the music, with a very intuitive sense of where to place the right notes in a larger context.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 3, 2009,
Honestly watching film of him playing gave me a whole new appreciation for him. Same overall belief as what slash4114 said, but like I said, watching him play was inspirational to me in and of itself.
Quote by slash4114

This, plus emotion. Oh god the emotion.

He also wrote great music, which to me counts more than technicality or anything like that. Guitar also wouldn't be where it is today without his innovations.

Plus he did all of that while singing. That just makes it absolutely badass.

On top of this the energy he exuded live, even when just remaining in video, was so powerful that even today it can make you smile, laugh and wave a V for victory above your head.

Edit; And as always, throw what Al11287whateveritis said right in here.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 3, 2009,
I don't really care for his music as listening or playing material. He had some damn fine chops - certainly some of the finest of his day - and was a good composer, and an awesome performer, but not really my thing.

I believe that his contribution lies not in making "good" rock music - but in making "mature" rock music. He made rock and prototypical metal sound like they had already been around twenty years. Not necessarily top-tier-quality stuff of those genres, but mature.

All of this is IMO, obviously.
watch the full filmed performance at woodstock, that shows what a guitar god hendrix was.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Snake™
Good, but not as amazing as people make him.

But his music is great.

]This
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Born to play guitar. Natural as they come.

He can play bad and still sound good. IE sometimes he would hit bum notes, fall out of time, but he still sounded good, which a vast majority of others can't do.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
Was decent, managed to nail that "Sloppy but accurate" sound that people like SRV have also nailed which is nice.
Decent music, not the best blues out there though.

However I have to say overrated because he died.
People say he was magic or whatever but he really wasn't, he was just okay at making music, a not bad guitarist (and to vacant pistol, when he hit bum notes or fell out of time, it didn't sound good, people just make it sound good in their heads because "It's hendrix.") but when did Johnny Winter get all this? OHWAIT, he's alive.
I guess he's a bit overrated, but he's still one of my favourite guitarists, and definitely the best of his era for me. He's always been one of my biggest influences.

Sure he wasn't the most technical or accurate, but I love his songwriting, his tone, and the way he voiced chords in an unorthodox way. I think he was really ahead of his time, though nowadays he'd be overshadowed by many great guitarists out there; people just have to put things in perspective and stop whining about who's overrated and who isn't.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
He was a legend, very influencial. I personally dislike his music. In my opinion Eddie van Halen revolutionized my preferances in music and the techniques used in that a lot more.
Ibanez 540S, Randall RG50TC, Blackstar HT-DISTX, Ibanez TS-808
In the 1960s: Probally the best at the time, even Clapton thought so.
Overall: Not THE Best , but sure a top 10.
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
Quote by Zoot Allures
he did it like no one else.

I don't know, I mean, Zappa was doing everything Jimi was a year earlier when he released Feak Out!
hang on, vai not a natural?

if there's anyone alive that's a natural it's vai. And I don't even particularly like him.

then you have the likes of shawn lane. the guy was doing **** hendrix could only dream of at the age of 14.

personally I don't like most of hendrix's music, I don't particularly like him as a person . A violent alcoholic, pretending to be gay to get out of a punishment which was an alternative to prison.

he's overrated just like almost any other famous musician who died young.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I think he was awesome as he was very original, but I think he is over rated. Personally I rate Stevie Ray Vaughan and Joe Bonamassa over him, just my opinion though.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Quote by Lemoninfluence

if there's anyone alive that's a natural it's vai. And I don't even particularly like him.

then you have the likes of shawn lane. the guy was doing **** hendrix could only dream of at the age of 14.

personally I don't like most of hendrix's music, I don't particularly like him as a person . A violent alcoholic, pretending to be gay to get out of a punishment which was an alternative to prison.

When Shawn Lane came around, he had other musical influences who came after Hendrix. The more hard rock stuff was coming into the world, etc etc. Yes, Shawn Lane is definitely one of the greatest guitarists, but even he stated that Jimi was a big influence.

Also, Hendrix was a good person. I want to know where you got the violent alcoholic part from, though I agree that the acting gay part to get out of the military was kinda stupid.

Anyways, onto the topic. Hendrix is a big influence to me. I picked up the guitar because of him, but I had always wanted too before I knew who he was. In the guitar world, I would say he's overrated to a degree, but outside of the guitar world, atleast where I live, I've yet to meet anyone who has really heard Hendrix aside from drug users.

He was a fantastic song writer, and always recorded. He always has material you might have never heard, different versions of songs, live performances you've never seen. An awesome showman and he knew how to work the crowd. To Al whats his name who posted the Rolling Stone link, even in that song you can see how good Hendrix was, not by the guitar playing, but when he misses the verse he apologizes and it still sounds like part of the song. Also, when The Beatle's SGT. Pepper's album came out, he took the title track and worked it out and performed it the day after it was released.

Definitely "born to play guitar" as people would say. Ahead of his time, an innovator, and he covered a lot of ground in his time while he was alive. You also have to realize that he was already respected by the biggest guitarists in London within less than a week of arriving in London.

Jimi just seemed like an awesome person to be around. Polite and shy off stage, but on stage he was larger than life. One of the few guitarists who puts shivers up my spine on any song I hear by him.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

How could you not like him as a person if you never met him......
to answer; no, I don't think he's overrated. Why? It's not because he's amazing technically. It's because his innovation to this day is unparalelled. From where i view it the electric guitar was just an amplified acoustic before hendrix.
Musically and emotionally, he's amazing, and one of the best guitarists in that aspect. However he's far from the best technically. If he lived 30-40 years more or something and had time to really hone his skills, he'd probably have been one of the best guitarists in all aspects.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
try to sing and get those impresive riffs and solos, and then you can say " hey dude, he's not thaaat god" but since his guitar playing is pretty intrincate and innovative for a 60-70's musician, He's def. one of the great
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Quote by FallsDownStairs
When Shawn Lane came around, he had other musical influences who came after Hendrix. The more hard rock stuff was coming into the world, etc etc. Yes, Shawn Lane is definitely one of the greatest guitarists, but even he stated that Jimi was a big influence.

by that logic jimi's influences were better than him. Just because lane was influences by hendrix doesn't automatically make him "better".

Also, Hendrix was a good person. I want to know where you got the violent alcoholic part from, though I agree that the acting gay part to get out of the military was kinda stupid.

Quote by wiki
Hendrix was notorious among friends and bandmates for sometimes becoming angry and violent when he drank too much alcohol.[117] Kathy Etchingham spoke of an incident that took place in a London pub in which an intoxicated Hendrix beat her with a public telephone handset because he thought she was calling another man on the pay phone.[118] Carmen Borrero, another girlfriend, says she required stitches after he hit her with a bottle after drinking and becoming jealous.[119] Alcohol was also cited as the cause of Hendrix's 1968 rampage that badly damaged a Stockholm hotel room and led to his arrest. Paul Caruso's friendship with Hendrix ended in 1970 when Hendrix, while under the influence, punched him and accused him of stealing from him.[120]

granted it's only wikipedia but the incidents are referenced. granted I may have misused the term 'alcoholic' but if it's not an alcohol problem it's an anger management problem.

either way, a bit of a tit IMO.

Anyways, onto the topic. Hendrix is a big influence to me. I picked up the guitar because of him, but I had always wanted too before I knew who he was. In the guitar world, I would say he's overrated to a degree, but outside of the guitar world, atleast where I live, I've yet to meet anyone who has really heard Hendrix aside from drug users.

most people I know who are into music beyond the mainstream (whether it's rap, rock, classical etc) have heard of hendrix. And if you asked people (more specifically, none musicians) to list some of the best guitarists of all time I can almost guarantee you he'd be listed up there.

Not because they like his music (as you pointed out not many people (in the grand scheme of things) have listened to hendrix) but because they know his name and know that he's a guitarist. He's famous because of his death and his fame causes people think he's automatically good.

Definitely "born to play guitar" as people would say. Ahead of his time, an innovator, and he covered a lot of ground in his time while he was alive. You also have to realize that he was already respected by the biggest guitarists in London within less than a week of arriving in London.

Lane was considered an urban legend. How fecking awesome do you have to be that people aren't entirely sure you can exist? This is across an entire country, never mind a city. And ahead of his time? Lane's ahead of now, nevermind 'his time'.

now I come across as a shawn lane fanboy (and to be honest I probably am despite not listening to most of his stuff) but I'm staying with the one example just for consistency.

Jimi just seemed like an awesome person to be around. Polite and shy off stage, but on stage he was larger than life. One of the few guitarists who puts shivers up my spine on any song I hear by him.

See here's where it's just down to personal opinion. I'm yet to hear anything by him that has that same effect on me. His live performances that are labelled "amazing" bore me. I can appreciate that many people cite him as an influence, probably all of my influences would cite him as one, but I'd argue that it's because of the fame he gained after his death rather than the influence he had during his life.

Quote by darkcheef
How could you not like him as a person if you never met him......

OK, his reported none musical actions do nothing to make me reconsider my liking of the being known as Jimi Hendrix.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Oct 3, 2009,
To all the people who say that Hendrix was a "natural born" guitarist - a "prodigy" - well, consider this.

Born : 1942
Picked up guitar (15yo according to his bio) : 1957
Debut solo album : 1967

He spent an entire decade living with his guitar 24/7, touring around the US in a dozen different bands, playing session on a loads of albums, getting far more proper experience than anyone today could make up for in 10 years' solo practice.

People sometimes say he was overrated because it seems like he suddenly appeared and was the best player in the world. Well he didn't, but according to so many interviews at the time (Pete Townsend, Eric Clapton etc), he really was astonishingly skilled, thanks to 10 years of working at it.
He was influential. Basically he injected a good dose of intelligent phrasing into the same tired blues licks people then were so used to.

He was a great songwriter, and had a great gift with improvisation.

But as far as actual, quantifiable, objective technical skill, which is the only undisputable way to argue someone's ability on guitar (otherwise its gonna turn into an emotion contest and those are just pointless) he wasn't that great.

Overall he was a better musician than a guitar player.

In my opinion Shawn Lane is the best guitar player ever. He combined a virtuosic ability with great phrasing and musicality and wrote some of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard played on a guitar. Listen to "The Way it Has to Be", it's just perfect.

I would personally rate Vai and Satriani better guitarists than Hendrix, especially Vai, his performance of I'm Becoming on the Sound Theories DVD is another example of his innate musicality.
TBH i respect his music, but it never really does much for me emotionally like some guitar players. I guess i'm just not into that style as much as some people.

that Shawn Lane song does much more for me than Hendrix songs.
Last edited by yoyodunno at Oct 3, 2009,
I've been listening to Jimi play guitar my entire life and he still gives me chills when I hear him. What more can I ask for.
Oh and just as a side note, if you haven't met Hendrix, dont use his apparent bad or good personality as an argument because you have no way of knowing if it's true, you'll just be inclined to believe whatever you want to hear.
Page 1 of 4