Didn't really know where else this would go, but anyways...

I am currently in a three man band, its me (guitarist/vocalist), a bassist and drummer... i am lead vocals and i was wondering what i should do when it comes to a vocal amp. currently for practice i just use a ****ty guitar amp but i was wondering if its worth the investement in buying a vocal amp as wont most places have a system setup in which i plug the microphone into (gigs wise)?

and if i should get a vocal amp i was wondering what kind you suggest
RAW POWER
Vocal amplification is much more complex than the simple all-in-one nature of guitar amps - you need a full 'PA system' which will, at a beginner level, look something like this:

You'll need to spend a bare minimum of $400 or so to get something worth gigging with, but spend the most you can afford.

What sort of gigs are you doing/planning? Where do you play?
well probably in bars little things like that for now... would they have a pa system or would i need to buy my own like the ones shown aboev?
RAW POWER
a lot of them have PA systems, but to practice check out pa systems like above.

they are useful, and most have room to grow, like Phonics.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Phone the clubs/bars/pubs you're most likely to be playing at. I'll be incredibly surprised if they don't have anything at all. Everywhere around me has a PA, but quite often I hire one out or take my own cause its usually pretty bad.

Although, it might be worth getting one for your band prac, also. Most of them also have record out sockets so you can do demo recordings, etc, etc.

+1 for phonic stuff. I've been gigging with a phonic powerpod 720 for about 3 years and it's been great.

edit:

What? Is JJ In GG&A?!?!

Btw, if you have any PA questions when you decide to buy, ask me. I promote gigs and I'm quite often a soundguy at venues. I know my way around a PA system :P
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Last edited by Juadafi at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by Juadafi

What? Is JJ In GG&A?!?!

umm, yep, for a few years now.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Hmm. Never seen you post here before. Hi!
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If I'm not mistaken, a keyboard amp (being tonally transparent) can be used for vocals in a pinch. It'll be better than a guitar amp, anyway.
Quote by Led Dirigible
If I'm not mistaken, a keyboard amp (being tonally transparent) can be used for vocals in a pinch. It'll be better than a guitar amp, anyway.
Yup my vocalist (or former vocalist) used one.
yeah problem is that most guys dont have one, and it's not worth it to buy one if PA systems are just as cheap.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah problem is that most guys dont have one, and it's not worth it to buy one if PA systems are just as cheap.

I agree. The only reason my singer bought one was because he was really new to the whole music thing and bought a keyboard amp.
yeah i mean if you have one, it'll sound way better than a guitar amp.

they just refuse to lower the prices on them enough to make them a viable alternative to a pa.

:/
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62