Since I am in Australia and we're pretty much f**ked for prices over here on high end amps (Mesas, Engls etc.) I was wondering how is the importing process over here.

Any of u UGers from aussie ever buy an amp head/combo/cab online from abroad and have it shipped here? Do they take duty/tax on it? Is it messy and paperwork-y and overall unpleasant?

I'm thinkin of gettin an Engl Invader 100 head but the lowest aussie price new I found was from billyhyde at roughly $5000 or so. But if I get it from somewhere like the Thomann site I get it for like $3400 or so which is a huge difference.
Alright, if you buy an amp from say America, you'll have to either hope it has a voltage selector, switch the power tranny, or get a drop town transformer.

Also, on the MArshall forum, somebody from perth wanted to buy a DSL without the head box from canada, and it was gonna be like $450 canadian dollars for shipping, not sure about taxes.

Edit: And don't forget, the amps headbox weighs a lot too, and that ENGL is like 2kg heavier than the completed DSL

In the end it may end up the same price
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Oct 3, 2009,
i dunno, but I wanna know the same thing... our aussie prices suck big time
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Income tax is a bitch!!
Anything over the value of $1000 Australian dollars is taxed 15%.
I've thought about buying a PRS so many times but I would end up paying $240 in tax and another $180 or so in shipping. I would still probably come out on top but is it really worth it :s. Many sellers will also make you pay +3% if your paying via paypal. In the end you will still come out on top but there are quite a few hidden costs in there. Make sure you research it prior to making the decision!
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
From the Thomann site the price in AUD would be A$3370.

Adding to that import tax of 15% is A$3875.5

Shipping according to the site for the Engl Invader head (21kg) is A$142.96 for economic or A$291.57 for premium

Which would be a total of say A$ 4018.46

Even allowing for some hidden costs that is still a fair bit cheaper than the 5 grand I would have to pay locally. Also the 5 grand is only for billy hyde music. Other retailers all sell them for A$5749 or so.

Anyone really know why aussie prices r so ridiculous?

Also if buyin from Europe how much of a discrepancy is there in the mains voltages
Quote by Ereleon
From the Thomann site the price in AUD would be A$3370.

Adding to that import tax of 15% is A$3875.5

Shipping according to the site for the Engl Invader head (21kg) is A$142.96 for economic or A$291.57 for premium

Which would be a total of say A$ 4018.46

Even allowing for some hidden costs that is still a fair bit cheaper than the 5 grand I would have to pay locally. Also the 5 grand is only for billy hyde music. Other retailers all sell them for A$5749 or so.

Anyone really know why aussie prices r so ridiculous?

Also if buyin from Europe how much of a discrepancy is there in the mains voltages

The mains voltages difference is nothing to worry about. UK/Europe is 220~230, so its close enough it wont cause a problem. Plus almost all amps are rated a bit lower than what they can actually handle, so a slight change in voltage wont fry them.
i feel your pain. i would love to own amps like an engl, cornford or a mesa but australian prices make it nothing but a pipe dream. even buying a carvin direct gets about 400+ aud added onto the price.
Last edited by TheFunkyAvocado at Oct 3, 2009,
You're forgetting the tax on a tax that isn't actually meant to exist.

When importing an item over $1000AU in value, including shipping, you pay 5% import tax, then on top of that you pay 10% GST.

Fun piece of trivia I thought I'd share
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Since i was looking for an Amp and guitar a while ago i looked into this, various ways actually and i think i have found the answer.

I have realized that it is only worth it on cheap things and really expensive things.

example: Cheap stuff like pedals and lower end amps will fall under the 1000AUD mark which lets you slip by the customs and taxes without paying 15%. On the other side of things it works with the really expensive stuff because Australia simply overprices this stuff. My example being the Mesa Boogie Mark V, it is about 6500 retail price in Australia but in the US it is around 2500 (i think), this would be worthwhile to import as NO amount of shipping, taxes and currency conversion can explain a 4000 dollar mark up.

If it's in between you may just be wasting your time as even if you save it will be minimal.
Has anyone actually been through this whole process of buyin and shipping? How would u say the experience was? Convenient? Worth the few hundreds saved? Too much of a hassle?
just a suggestion. there might not be tax on importing used amps. It would also turn out cheaper simply because its used. the problem with the used market though is finding the amp you want.
Quote by TOMMYB22
Since i was looking for an Amp and guitar a while ago i looked into this, various ways actually and i think i have found the answer.

I have realized that it is only worth it on cheap things and really expensive things.

example: Cheap stuff like pedals and lower end amps will fall under the 1000AUD mark which lets you slip by the customs and taxes without paying 15%. On the other side of things it works with the really expensive stuff because Australia simply overprices this stuff. My example being the Mesa Boogie Mark V, it is about 6500 retail price in Australia but in the US it is around 2500 (i think), this would be worthwhile to import as NO amount of shipping, taxes and currency conversion can explain a 4000 dollar mark up.

If it's in between you may just be wasting your time as even if you save it will be minimal.

I thought we had it tough in Malaysia (all electrical items have an automatic ad valorem tax of 30% slapped on it, fortunately we don't have GST or VAT yet).

I thought the Mesa Boogie Mark V was darn expensive over here at RM15,500... which translates to AUD5166. When compared to your AUD6500, its still somewhat cheaper. Man... Australia really hates musicians.

On a side note... I can actually explain part of the mark up. Even if you buy it direct from Mesa, they slap close to USD1,000 for the 240V power transformer... sooo Australia is not the only one buggering you over mate.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I thought we had it tough in Malaysia (all electrical items have an automatic ad valorem tax of 30% slapped on it, fortunately we don't have GST or VAT yet).

I thought the Mesa Boogie Mark V was darn expensive over here at RM15,500... which translates to AUD5166. When compared to your AUD6500, its still somewhat cheaper. Man... Australia really hates musicians.

On a side note... I can actually explain part of the mark up. Even if you buy it direct from Mesa, they slap close to USD1,000 for the 240V power transformer... sooo Australia is not the only one buggering you over mate.

Yeah, i just used Mesa as an example because they're unmerciful to Australians. But generally we just pay more. I even compared prices from US to AU for MI Audio pedals and they still get it cheaper even though they are made right here in Sydney. I could drive down there and try to buy it in person if i wanted to and the US still gets them cheaper.
Quote by TOMMYB22
Yeah, i just used Mesa as an example because they're unmerciful to Australians. But generally we just pay more. I even compared prices from US to AU for MI Audio pedals and they still get it cheaper even though they are made right here in Sydney. I could drive down there and try to buy it in person if i wanted to and the US still gets them cheaper.

LOL
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Wow that is pretty bad... maybe aussie UGers should instigate a country wide boycott of local distributors n buy from abroad
There is way more competition in america so they get better prices. how many different brands of pedals do you see in big chain stores like billy hyde or allans? competition is the key.
Quote by joe_k
There is way more competition in america so they get better prices. how many different brands of pedals do you see in big chain stores like billy hyde or allans? competition is the key.

I know the competition forces the price down but they are still screwing us. I could use many examples but it seems we are really being taken advantage of. If only there was like a whole sale dealer or some company that sells with decreased mark up.

Of course it took me first hand experience to find this stuff out. The experience being how i got my Schecter C-1 Classic. When i bought it i thought i was being real thrifty and was going to save hundreds. Instead the recession hit, pushed the aussie dollar way down which made the price+shipping way over 1000AUD, then got hit with the 15% taxation. In the end i ended up spending $50 extra than if i had driven up to billy hyde and bought it in person, i also would have gotten it 2 months earlier too.

One day i hope to making big bucks and i'll spend thousands on ass-ripping guitar gear, one day.