Can anyone give me advice for right hand technique when alternate picking on the wound strings? i cant seem to find an effective way to pick, especially when i palm mute.

but for some reason its not a problem on the first 3 strings
guitars go up to 65 frets these days o.0

whao

lol jks XD
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Jackson JS30 Rhodes (modded)
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
Quote by MetalManForLife
guitars go up to 65 frets these days o.0

whao

lol jks XD

no, they don't. they have at least 65 strings
Epiphone Les Paul Studio AW Ltd Run
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Harley Benton 2X12" (Celestion V 30s)
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive CO1
Marshall Reflector RF1
Digitech Hardwire HW DL 8 Delay/Looper
I used to have similar problems being able to pick effortlessly on the treble strings and having such an uncomfortable time on the bass strings. Use logic/knowledge you have gained from this board/Freepower's videos/lessons, watch good guitarists pick on the bass strings, and experiment a bit. Just try to stay relaxed, pick at a slight angle if possible, make minimal movement, and be patient with it. You'll probably notice that you can do so really well at extremely slow speeds. Well, just practice and analyze at those speeds and gradually you will improve.
Quote by roter$baron
no, they don't. they have at least 65 strings

lol could ya imagin a 65fret guitar tho XD, ud need about 2-3 ppl to play it XD
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Jackson JS30 Rhodes (modded)
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
65th string.

Its the same as picking on the other 3 strings, maybe there's slightly more resistance but its negligible.
Quote by MetalManForLife
lol could ya imagin a 65fret guitar tho XD, ud need about 2-3 ppl to play it XD

Or just get Michael Angelo Batio and just for ****s and giggles add another neck or 2.
Ibanez 540S, Randall RG50TC, Blackstar HT-DISTX, Ibanez TS-808
Quote by fixationdarknes
I used to have similar problems being able to pick effortlessly on the treble strings and having such an uncomfortable time on the bass strings. Use logic/knowledge you have gained from this board/Freepower's videos/lessons, watch good guitarists pick on the bass strings, and experiment a bit. Just try to stay relaxed, pick at a slight angle if possible, make minimal movement, and be patient with it. You'll probably notice that you can do so really well at extremely slow speeds. Well, just practice and analyze at those speeds and gradually you will improve.

I used to be the same, but the other way around. I found I easier on the bass strings.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
65th string... that'd be one thick ass string!
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I used to have a similar problem. My alt picking on the lower strings was ok when I was playing rhythm, but when I was playing lead and descended from the higher strings, the lower strings would feel awkward. What was happening was that when I was playing rhythm I was putting my hand in a position that was good for picking the lower strings, so I was fine. When I played lead, I was putting my hand in a good position for playing the higher strings, so I could play those fine. But when I descended, I wasn't moving my hand enough, so I was still partly in the position needed to play the high strings, so my wrist wasn't at a good for picking the low strings.
I fixed it by introducing a bit of elbow movement to get from string to string. The wrist makes the picking motion, the elbow moves the hand from string to string. Someone else here described it as your elbow being like a crane that moves your hand around. The end result is that you as you move from string to string, you are keeping the same optimum angle/distance between your hand and the string you are picking.
My playing improved a great deal when I started getting the hang of that.

I don't know about the 65th string!! That son of a b*tch would be as thick as your arm and make a sound so low it would dissolve concrete.
I know just what you mean. My band wrote a song a few months back that incorporated a lot of tremolo picking on those three strings and I wasn't very good at it right away. My suggestion to you is to try a few different kinds of picks. Since the strings are bigger and heavier it feels like there's more "resistance" when you go to pick them. A different pick material or thickness might help you a lot. I personally discovered these guys and they made fast alt/trem picking on the thicker strings a little easier for me.

fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi">fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi">http://images.google.com/images?q=snarling%20dogs%20brain%20pick&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

I like the gray ones. They're the 1.00 thickness.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Last edited by AndyR83 at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by WantzChas
Or just get Michael Angelo Batio and just for ****s and giggles add another neck or 2.

Well he already has a quad guitar with a total of 96 frets.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.