Just a quick question, is it better to buy a 100watt or a 300 watt bass amp, I'm mostly practicing in my bedroom, not too loud, sometimes I jam with my brother and/or friends usually with a loud drummer, but there's no gigging in the foreseeable future.

Is the 300watt too powerful to use for silent practice (90% of the time I'll be using it)?
Or is the 100 watt sufficient for bit of band practice?
████████
████████
████████
Looking to gig in the future? Get the 300w one. You may not be giggin now, but you might later. If it's 300w with 2 outputs, like the Ashdown MAG300, you aren't even going to be getting 300w anyways unless you get two cabs (if it's the head version. Same with the combo version, actually, except replace two cabs with extension cab)
My band's bass player has a Laney 50W which he rarely has to turn above 3 for full-volume band practices. I think 100W should be plenty
300 watt is far too loud for bedroom... I recommend getting 100w or under
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
My 100 Watt doesn't go past 4 and it gets over our hearing damage volume drummer.300 watts=overkill.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
k thank you all, I'll get the 100 watt then
████████
████████
████████
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Which amps are you looking at, out of interest?

probably Ashdown Five Fifteen
have looked at A LOT of amps and a bass-playing friend of mine suggested Ashdown and then i found the Five Fifteen
████████
████████
████████
Last edited by Skywalker007 at Oct 3, 2009,
If you have the opportunity to get a 300 watt amp GET IT. There is ZERO point in getting a 100 watt amp if you can get 300 watts. They make volume knobs for a reason. I have a 300 watt Markbass and it can easily be quiet enough for bedroom practise. On the other hand, I used to have a 100 watt Rumble and it didn't even come close to comfortably getting over a drummer alone.
Get the 300W. Experiment with how loud it is normally, then just set the master volume on your amp to like, 1 and if that's still too loud turn the volume on your bass down a little bit, maybe to 75%. 300W might be "overkill" but by no means is it impossible to make it be quiet.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
If you have the opportunity to get a 300 watt amp GET IT. There is ZERO point in getting a 100 watt amp if you can get 300 watts. They make volume knobs for a reason. I have a 300 watt Markbass and it can easily be quiet enough for bedroom practise. On the other hand, I used to have a 100 watt Rumble and it didn't even come close to comfortably getting over a drummer alone.

Volume knobs and headphones are wonderful things. I have a 150W Ampeg that just edges above my drummer if he's playing with hotrods. Get the best quality and wattage you can afford on your budget.
Use the volume control and you'll be fine, I use the Ashdown 600 and it sounds fine at levels below the TV my wife is watching next door. Equally my 20W peavey goes far too loud to be turned right up in a domestic room.

!00W is a difficult level for a bassist, If the speakers are efficient it is loud enough to gig with but with less efficient speakers like the Rumble it won't have quite enough grunt. You are almost there but not quite. Go for 200+and you can do most things.
+1 to the headphones thing, i'd really hope you ended up with a amp that allows you to do that. Probably very common within this range too.

Anyway, 75-150 or so watts is likely to be the most useless power area of bass amps as you'll either just be able to practice by yourself or really have to strain it to be heard even a little. Why completely cut yourself off from the possibility of gigging or at least a full band practice?
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
I'd go with the 300 watter. I have done band practice with a variety of different amps rangnig from 20w up as far 75w. The 75w could just about be heard for most of the practice, but that was turned up absolute full, with my desired tone, pretty much out the window. At the moment im using a borrowed peavey tour 450(while my GK1001RB gets fixed) through an 8ohm GK 410 SBX (so i guess its running at about 200-220w) and even then it can still be a bit of a struggle getting above the drummer and two guitarists.

So yeah, +1 for the 300w
Quote by Skywalker007
probably Ashdown Five Fifteen
have looked at A LOT of amps and a bass-playing friend of mine suggested Ashdown and then i found the Five Fifteen

Well the Five Fifteen is 65 watts, IIRC. Save up for the Ashdown MAG300 combo, where you'll get 180 watts out the box, and 300 when you add another cab, or this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_t15_250s.htm

Not much more than the five fifteen, and you get about 150 watts out of the box, and 250 with an extra cab.
If it is a solid state amp than wattage is irrelevant compared to bedroom practice (you can just turn down the master volume and it SHOULD sound the same (now tube amps on the other hand... something about cranking them makes them sound better)).

I also agree with, "is it only for bedroom practice or do you eventually want to use it to play small gigs too?"
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
too much power is better than not enough power. if it's in your budget i say, get the 300w
amp. you never know what opportunities the future holds. with the 300w, you'll be ready for most any situation. and thats a good thing. imo, you can only be under powered. you can never be over powered.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
too much power is better than not enough power. if it's in your budget i say, get the 300w
amp. you never know what opportunities the future holds. with the 300w, you'll be ready for most any situation. and thats a good thing. imo, you can only be under powered. you can never be over powered.

agreed. amps have a volume knob for a reason.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I dont care what anyone in this thread or this forum says. 100w is not enough.

It would be one thing if you were practicing with a CD player in your room, but I promise that if you buy a 100w amp and plan on gigging with it, you will be disappointed

EDIT: Also, am I correct in assuming that bass isnt something you plan to take all that seriously?

If thats the case, then if you eventually sell your amp one day, a 300w amp will keep much more of its value than a 100w amp
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by tubatom868686
I dont care what anyone in this thread or this forum says. 100w is not enough.

It would be one thing if you were practicing with a CD player in your room, but I promise that if you buy a 100w amp and plan on gigging with it, you will be disappointed

EDIT: Also, am I correct in assuming that bass isnt something you plan to take all that seriously?

If thats the case, then if you eventually sell your amp one day, a 300w amp will keep much more of its value than a 100w amp

Uh, he said for BED ROOM PRACTICE. 100w is perfectly fine for this purpose.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Get the 300. Like everybody else has said, use the volume knob. It's this wonderful little round thing that lets you adjust the sound level to suit your needs. For obvious reasons, 300w is more versatile. In case you do get asked to gig, it would come in handy.
Quote by lordofthefood1
Uh, he said for BED ROOM PRACTICE. 100w is perfectly fine for this purpose.
Yes, but why just get a 100W to practice if you can get a 300W that can do that and more? If you can't quiet the 300 enough with the volume knob, like I said you can turn your bass volume down too.

This is my bedroom rig. 300w + 4x10" cab. I never turn it past 25% at home, and always was audible in live situations when using 50%. So I suggest taking the 300w, since you won't have to upgrade your rig, when you decide to play live.
If it's too loud, you're too old. It all depends on how much you want the walls to shake.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Quote by nesveikuolis

This is my bedroom rig. 300w + 4x10" cab. I never turn it past 25% at home, and always was audible in live situations when using 50%. So I suggest taking the 300w, since you won't have to upgrade your rig, when you decide to play live.

You're only getting 180 watts out of that head with the one cab, unless that cab is rated at 4ohms.
The thing is I am mainly a guitarist and for passing all the college entry exams, my parents gave me a budget for which I could buy a bass and a bass amp.
Having played in few bands as guitarist, I will probably be a guitarist in my next band. So I'll only need a practice amp for bass, with only the possibility to occasionally jam with my brother or friends when at my house, at my friends house, I plug my bass directly into his Huge PA system with a DI box.
Secondly, I don't have a separate budget for bass and amp, the more i spend on the amp, the less I can spend on the bass, which at this point for me is more important than the amp.
████████
████████
████████
Last edited by Skywalker007 at Oct 4, 2009,
Personally, I think not spending the extra £25 or so on the amp I suggested is a little silly. You get the practice volume you want, plus that extra £20 essentially makes it futureproof, bar the need for an extra cab, which will run you less than a whole new setup anyways, if bass was something you do end up in a band with. Heck, I'd make that £25 up myself out of my own pocket on top of the budget if you were so bothered about the bass side of it (although £25 isn't going to make a world of difference tbh)
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You're only getting 180 watts out of that head with the one cab, unless that cab is rated at 4ohms.

I'm perfectly aware of that (I'm good at physics :P ). I'm getting a 2x10" right after I buy myself a car :P
To repeat others, get the 300- It'll give you enough volume to play small shows. I'm running 500 watts into a 410 in my college dorm room and all I have to do is turn down the volume.
dude i run a 750 watt GK half stack at practice at about 1/8th volume and a 150 watt Fender for bedroom practice at roughly 1/8th volume. i say go big or go home
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Ive done medium sized gigs with a 100 watt amp, but that was for me to hear and noth the crowd. Thats were the pa comes into play.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I finally ended up buying the five fifteen, because the store I bought it it had it as one of the amps marked for discount, plus I had an extra 10% discount for having guitar lessons at there own private "guitar school" , so I finally got it for only 150 eur and the next step were 300 watt amps starting around 400eur, they didn't have amps in between, which would have had to be ordered and at a small local store they do tend to add a lot of price to these "special orders" Also picked up a Boss Me-50B for 140 (previously thinking of a me 20b or smaller). So I got both for a steal, now just waiting for my bass to arrive.
Thank you all for the help anyway!
████████
████████
████████
Last edited by Skywalker007 at Oct 5, 2009,
I'd rather have more than enough than not enough. I'd go 300watt
If you're not in it, you're out of it. - Joey Ramone
^ obviously someone cant read.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Yeah, I guess that a difference of 250 Euros would inspire me to go for the 100w. 250 Euros is about $365, so that would be a bonus when it comes to funds.