Hey there,

I've researched a few different pick-ups to install into the bridge slot of my telecaster and I've finalised on this one here: http://irongear.co.uk/irongear_026.htm

I basically would like to know if you guys think that could cope with lots of distortion it has got a huge output for this sort of pick-up, I'm playing in a metal band at the moment and I need to get this pickup ordered in time to install it for a gig this month.

Tone I would Ideally try to aim for - Think a chunky, heavy Killswitch tone.

Thanks for the help!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by Dio10101
http://www.billlawrenceonlinestore.com/
These are generally high output.

I was asking if the pick-up I had selected would be suitable for the type of music I wanted to play rather than an enquire into other pick-ups.

However I had a look and cheers for the link

Help me to live.

Why do you play a "tele" for the ultimate distortion experience?????????.....???????

Sorry, no advice.....I was just wondering
Quote by frankencaster
Why do you play a "tele" for the ultimate distortion experience?????????.....???????

Sorry, no advice.....I was just wondering

Ha ha, I was waiting for someone to say that! Basically I have no money, I can't buy an Ibanez Prestige or a nice Les Paul etc. however I do have my reliable old Telecaster which I have already modified with a SD quarter pounder in the neck slot. It's basically a little project till I can afford something nicer.

The cleans still sound beautiful with the SD in the neck, but I would like something really hot down the bridge for hard-rock and metal. I'm also planning to buy a custom pickguard with a hum-bucker slot in the middle position, which will be filled at a later date.

I guess you could say it's not what guitar you own, but how you use and modify it. When I'm done there will certainly not be many other tele's that sound like mine. I can get a versatile instrument yet with my own unique tone. I think it's pretty cool tbh.

Help me to live.

Although I don't have much experience with stacked coil pickups, a friend recently bought some IronGear full-sized humbuckers and they have pretty good cleans and distort nicely, they were medium outputs but managed Led Zep through to AC/DC with no bother. Again though, not too sure what these particular pickups will be like but the company seems to put out some good products.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by roythereaper
Although I don't have much experience with stacked coil pickups, a friend recently bought some IronGear full-sized humbuckers and they have pretty good cleans and distort nicely, they were medium outputs but managed Led Zep through to AC/DC with no bother. Again though, not too sure what these particular pickups will be like but the company seems to put out some good products.

Let's hope their Telecaster pick-ups are just as good, because I've just ordered it! I'm really impressed with all of their reviews. I haven't seen anyone say a bad thing about this company and the price only makes it better.

That SteelTwin does have an output of 16k it's a beast! As soon as I wire it together when it arrives I'll let you all know how it sounds. Cheers for all your help!

Marlin

Help me to live.

I wouldn't want a single coil for heavy distortion. Hardly anybody uses them for it infact (yes I know about the few that do). You'd have been much better off with a single coil sized humbucker.

EDIT: I looked again and its a stacked single coil, so it is technically a humbucker, but I still wouldnt have gone for it :P
Last edited by supergerbil at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by flyingmarlin
I guess you could say it's not what guitar you own, but how you use and modify it.

This should be the new motto of the GB&C. I don't know why some people can't grasp this concept.

TS, I think you still may end up disappointed with that Irongear, but it'll last you for a while. You may want to look into getting a humbucker for the bridge if you want real heavy distortion.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
This should be the new motto of the GB&C. I don't know why some people can't grasp this concept.

TS, I think you still may end up disappointed with that Irongear, but it'll last you for a while. You may want to look into getting a humbucker for the bridge if you want real heavy distortion.

Well, in the next month once I have a little bit of money I'm going to invest in a new pick guard with the humbucker hole in the middle slot and I'll get a hot pick-up to go in there. I'm going to keep the same 3 way switch but wire the humbucker into the circuit as being constantly on, then wire in a two-way switch to toggle it on and off.

My battered old tele will not know what's hit it!

Help me to live.

So you're going to have an S-H-S tele? Coooool.

Quote by bv310
So you're going to have an S-H-S tele? Coooool.

Yeah basically, I'd imagine there's not many with that configuration. It'll look like it's been beaten with the ugly stick though and I might hit my picking hand on the fascia that holds the Humbucker in... I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. I'll make a thread and put a few pictures up when I'm done, everyone can see my ghetto-wiring job!

Help me to live.

You could always direct-mount the humbucker so it doesn't get in the way.

If you click on the reviews link you will see that Paul (Dragondreams) thinks its better than his Hot Rails Tele. I know Paul and he builds custom Teles as a hobby. If he says they are good he knows what he's talking about. It may not sound like an active humbucker but a good amp will get you the rest of the way while you'll also have a great classic rock sound.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by bv310
You could always direct-mount the humbucker so it doesn't get in the way.

Not a bad Idea, aesthetically it would look much nicer too. When I get the the parts I'll definitely try it out. I really can't wait to put it together, I'm quite excited!

Quote by Lurcher
If you click on the reviews link you will see that Paul (Dragondreams) thinks its better than his Hot Rails Tele. I know Paul and he builds custom Teles as a hobby. If he says they are good he knows what he's talking about. It may not sound like an active humbucker but a good amp will get you the rest of the way while you'll also have a great classic rock sound.

Ahh good to hear! I know that Hot Rails usually pretty damn good and to be told that this pick-up which is a fraction of the price beats it is almost too good to be true! I think Iron Gear have won me over for life, or at least I imagine they will have once I test it out.

thanks to everyone for their input

Help me to live.

Wait, which Chelmsford are you from? The UK one or the Ontario one?

The Uk.

Help me to live.