I was jamming away on my B-52 AT212 (thats all tube with 2 12" speakers), and suddenly my sound just died. Now it doesn't work on any of the channels. I've tried using the knob on the back that switches it to solid-state and that did nothing so I'm assuming it's not the tubes. And if any of you have had an old computer burn up, that's the smell that was coming out of it. Is there anyway I can fix it? My lil 15 watt backup does NOT keep up with my drummer and I can't really afford a new one
Maybe you should take it somewhere where it can be repaired, you may not have to buy a new one. It's better to let professionals check it and fix it then to do it yourself, because you may do something wrong and make it worse.
Quote by PnT
Maybe you should take it somewhere where it can be repaired, you may not have to buy a new one. It's better to let professionals check it and fix it then to do it yourself, because you may do something wrong and make it worse.

PnT has hit the nail on the (metal) head
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Quote by PnT

this

plus its kinda hard for us to diagnose it from the interwebz
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Well I'm fairly good with electronics although I haven't played around with amps before. But I know that if I let the professionals do it, I'll end up paying more than twice as much as I would if I did it myself
Quote by cminicooperj1
Well I'm fairly good with electronics although I haven't played around with amps before. But I know that if I let the professionals do it, I'll end up paying more than twice as much as I would if I did it myself

When you said you hit the switch to "make it solid state", you just made it solid state rectified. Many would still consider this an all tube amp, me included. The point is, you're still using the tubes. You could have blown out some tubes, or the speaker could have simply died. I can't diagnose your amp here, but don't rule out the tubes. However, some guy had a thread just like this a couple weeks ago where the problem was the speaker.

Take it to a tech.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I've tried the built in speakers and an external cabinet. And before I take it to a tech, is there a way I can test the tubes with a meter? And if so, what are the typical results?
Turn it on - make sure all the tubes are lighting up. DON'T mess around in there if you are inexperienced at working with amps - especially tube amps - as they *can* be extremely dangerous to your health.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Quote by cminicooperj1
I've tried the built in speakers and an external cabinet. And before I take it to a tech, is there a way I can test the tubes with a meter? And if so, what are the typical results?

I'm not really the most experienced one on this forum with amp maintenance/troubleshooting. The best advice I can give you is to take it to a tech. Someone else may come on here that knows more, though.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
There really isn't a way to "test" a tube with a multimeter, you can only realy monitor their bias, dissipation, etc.

It doesn't sound like tubes to me, they usually give good warning as they die (crackling, sputtering, distortion, fading in and out, etc.).

More likely is that a tube may have failed, then taken out something with it.

That "burning smell" is (unfortunately) common to the laminates of a transformer burning through it's laminates.

Hopefully that's not it, you could have also just popped a cap or resistor somewhere.

If your amp is under warranty, take it back!

But just cutting off like you describe, it could just be the fuse. Check that first.