At some point around Christmas I'll be looking around to replace my (terrible) Line 6 Spider III. Go ahead and laugh now.

Done? Great.
I'm looking for a good amp that will sound good at a small gig but not be too loud for normal bedroom practice type stuff. I was looking at two tube amps, the B-52 AT-112 and the Peavey Classic 30. I have only played the Classic 30, but it told me two things - tube amps are way louder then solid states and I would need to replace the tubes. So, just for the sake of comparison shopping, what are some decent solid state amps that could handle a small scale gig and practicing well and not sound like crap doing it?

I play mostly metal (go figure), but I dally around with classic rock, classical guitar stuff, blues, and just about everything that has a guitar in it. Thus, I would like something that has a decent clean tone and can handle distortion. Built-in effects are nice but entirely optional.

My price range is probably going to be around $400 give or take. I might be able to go to $450, but that's the maximum.

Go ahead. Stick me.
Also, I have heard decent reveiws about the Line 6 Flextone. Is it worth looking at?
Peavey bandit-old ones are completely solid state, new ones are hybrid.
They are the ****
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Roland Cubes....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, it's part tube, and it's $450.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
If you wanna go solid state, the Line 6 Flextones are excellent amps. You can find them used for around $400.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by Cachao
Peavey bandit-old ones are completely solid state, new ones are hybrid.
They are the ****

Nope, new ones are still solid state, they're just designed to sound like tube. Plus, I have one of the older ones. It's terrible for metal.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
you could do what i do and put a boss gt-10 through a roland cube
it takes a bit (alot) of tweaking but you've got every tone you'll need in there
and the cube compliments the gt perfectly (made by the same company)
it's a totally solid state set-up but it's possibly more cash then you want to spend...

if that's so then i hear good things about the vox vt series...
Quote by spitonastranger
you could do what i do and put a boss gt-10 through a roland cube
it takes a bit (alot) of tweaking but you've got every tone you'll need in there
and the cube compliments the gt perfectly (made by the same company)
it's a totally solid state set-up but it's possibly more cash then you want to spend...

if that's so then i hear good things about the vox vt series...

If you got enough cash get a GT Pro.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I would say get a Randall G3 for Metal....
Those are quite good SS amps, althoug its been some time since i tested one, so if anybody else tried one out. please tell me if it was crap.
Within your budget in USA you might find an old Fender Yale. Sweetest 50w SS you;ll ever find and takes pedals well. Last I saw one was on Ebay at about $325. If one comes along, check out the reviews on Harmony Central.

p.s. Has better cleans than a chinese laundry and the classic Fender spring reverb.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by Lurcher
Has better cleans than a chinese laundry and the classic Fender spring reverb.

Ancient Chinese Secret, huh?

The best Solid State amps? Peavy Bandits, B-52's, Line 6 Flex/Vetta and the HD 147.

This is the first thread Ive seen that referenced the Fender MH 500, never seen one, let alone heard one.

The Peavey Classic 30 is a great amp, Ive used it, looked into buying it, but I decided against it as I want a nice VOX head for the cabinet I have. For Metal, you should look into a used Randall Warhead, hard to find, but have tons of gain on tap.

If your a budget player, get a loud amp with good cleans and invest in a high gain pedal, like a crunch box, the new noxious pedal, or a kelley modded MT-2. The Heavy Metal Pedal by boss aint bad either.

Good luck shopping.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by linkage25
I would say get a Randall G3 for Metal....
Those are quite good SS amps, althoug its been some time since i tested one, so if anybody else tried one out. please tell me if it was crap.

yeah go with the g3 youll be very very happy.....no changing tubes its a pretty sweet amp for the price as well
Gear:
Ibanez RG1527M Prestige
Martin DX1
Agile-2000
The only Reallly good one ive heard is the roland cube, I personally think tube amps are far superior so if your gonna spend 600 your better off with a Blues Jr, Epi valve, Vox AC15 or any of the other well priced amps.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
You don't need to worry about the valves/tubes "going" on a new amplifier. If you don't drive it at full volumes regularly, there should be no reason why you won't give you at least two years of solid use
The older model of the Line 6 Spider Valve is worth a look.
As mentioned, so is a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, B-52 AT-112 and Line6 Flextone III (SS, as wished for)

The Peavey Classic 30 isn't ideal for metal, but is capable of certain sub-genres with the correct EQ'ing and pedals.

You could also look into the Vox Valvetonix series. I've kept my really old AD30VT over Mesa, Framus, Line6, ENGL, etc. There is a setting on it that covers my needs nearly perfectly.
You could pick up a Vox AD100VT off ebay for well under $400.
Flexitone. Personally, I wouldn't get the vypyr, too many people are jumping on the "it's amazing" bandwagon. When I tried it, I was very disappointed.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Tech 21 Trade Mark 60 or a Power Engine 60 and run whatever preamp or pedals through it. The TM 60 has an awesome clean and takes pedals well to for metal. So you can get metal, rock and blues out of it easily. I had a TM 60 so I know and I still have a PE 60. If you know what you're are doing they can work readily for any genre low or high volume. Its an option...

I use to pair my PE 60 with my TM 60. It doubled the sound field and sounded great. Tech 21 even makes a 410 PE but its a bit spendy. Good if you already have preamps on hand though. Alot lighter than a 412 to carry to gigs so it has a place in using it for that. So do the others.
FJA DSL50
Night Train

Strat
GT HH Tele

Dano CTO-1
Route 808
Ht Dual
An older Peavey supreme would be great for metal if you want solid state

You can find them all over the place for a great price
some of the best ss amps right now are the roland cubes, vox valvetronix and peavey vypyr. I have a cube and its great for bedroom practice and has some good metal models