I'm trying to get a nice smooth over driven sound without the distortion that usually comes with it. My setup goes LP special (P90s) -> TU-2 -> Jekyll & Hyde OD -> Boss EQ ->Vox AC30CC2 Normal Channel. The Vox settings I use are as follows:

Master - Almost full, seems to add the creaminess.
Tone Cut - Not much, I like the treble.
Bass - Less than half, probably about 1/4
Treble - About 3/4
Reverb - Just a touch
Normal Channel Volume - About 1/4 usually, I control the volume with this one.
Brilliance switch is on.

Jekyll and Hyde settings are as follows:

Drive - Usually just a bit, around 1/4
Tone - A little over half, I fine cutting it makes my sound too... Bluesy/Rocky for what I play.
Volume - About half, I find turning it up just adds distortion and turning it down makes me quieter.
I don't touch the distortion side much.

EQ pedal I just use as a boost really.

So basically I want that lushness that overdrive gets without as much distortion as I seem to be getting now. There's a few bands/guitarists that replicate this but I can't think of any good examples other than The Kooks, The Strokes and sometimes The Libertines and Dirty Pretty Things. Actually The View has it on a few songs too. I'm fairly certain I can do it without adding any pedals or effects since the bands I mentioned don't use a whole lot other than overdrives/volume pedals and such.

Thanks for any input.

edit - I added some youtube links to songs that have what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRN-wTJWAYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vKoIw_THvQ

The loudest guitar in either of those are similar to what I'm going for.
Last edited by jamiethorpe at Oct 3, 2009,
lower the overall treble. the higher frequencies tend to add that sharp distortion you're talking about. also put some more mids in the mix.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by jamiethorpe
Wouldn't adding the mids add growl to it rather than smoothness?

Not necessarily. I would also boost your bass up a bit.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
+10
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

So you're thinking pretty much just a lack of bass issue then? Or back down on the treble too? I think I need to record it to really listen to it, I must not be hearing it correctly standing next to it.
up the bass and mids some and lower the treble some.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

They really need to make AC30s with a mid control.

Any other suggestions are also welcome. Does finding the perfect tone ever drive anyone else close to insane?
Last edited by jamiethorpe at Oct 3, 2009,
use your eq pedal yeah?

finding the perfect tone is like a journey, you should run into great tones along the way. that's what i do
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

You Tube is down for maintenance but I managed a listen to the first one. Looks like he's playing an SG which will be smoother sounding than your Special. Therefore the EQ changes suggested should get you a good way towards it. Too much top will take your sound further away 'cos the Special is already a good bit brighter sounding.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I also have a p90 equipped guitar and for my sounds i do Little Giant: 3 watts, Volume 4, mids:9.8, bass:6, treble:6.5. Then on my OD pedal i have the volume at 12 o clock, the gain at around 4 o clock, and the tone around 10. On my guitar i usually use the neck pup and keep the tone rolled back a little.

What I'm going to recommend you try is less treble, more mids, and on your OD pedal maybe bring up a little gain and turn down the tone.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
turn your tone control down. I got a freaking awesome creamy smooth tone out of my guitar's Duncan 59 with the tone control at 0.

What you need is less treble, and more mids and bass.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'll definitely try these suggestions out when I get home from work. I never tried boosting the mids and bass because the music I play is usually associated with tons of treble. And ya I've definitely found some awesome tones along the way, and also learned that AC30s are a very tempermental beast. Somedays I'll turn it on and it just sounds perfect, then other days I have to fight with it for an hour to find a good sound.