Im having some trouble with my intonation on my sax. Basically when im playing tunes and going back to the (open?) Eb, the intonation is out compared to when i play anyother note.

Ive tried moving the mouthpiece and changing the reed, and my embouchre is decent and tight. Any suggestions?
Sorry, my dablings in the instrument of the saxophonic nature has only been with the tenor sax... In any case, do what ^this guy says and get a teacher.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Does it squeak? if so its probably just you not releasing all of the buttons at the correct time, or blowing into it with more pressure whilst removing them (open for alto is the c# which is then transposed to E natural i believe)
Quote by daytripper75
This man speaks the truth.
Yes, get a teacher
I've played the sax for over eight years, and only learned from playing in concert band throughout high school, and I can barely say I'm decent at the instrument. I wish I had taken private lesson a long time ago.

It also might be an air leak, if one of your keys are broken and it is letting enough air go through it could causing your horn to go out of tune. Also avoid the wrong environments, too hot or too cold will make you sound out of tune reguardless of your embouchure or mouth piece.
i played alto now i play tenor but think you might need new pads for your keys they might be leaking
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
The 'open' position on any sax produces a note that is slightly out in regards to intonation with the other notes. If you're playing the note in passing in a pretty fast phrase where you won't notice it, use the open fingering. But if you're holding a long note, there's an alternative fingering for the middle of the stave C#. If you hold the G key as well as the register key then you will get a more in tune sounding C#.

Like this:

( )
( )
(X)

( )
( )
( )
with the register key.
Quote by digger35
The 'open' position on any sax produces a note that is slightly out in regards to intonation with the other notes. If you're playing the note in passing in a pretty fast phrase where you won't notice it, use the open fingering. But if you're holding a long note, there's an alternative fingering for the middle of the stave C#. If you hold the G key as well as the register key then you will get a more in tune sounding C#.

Like this:

( )
( )
(X)

( )
( )
( )
with the register key.

you mean the key on the side that you play with the side of the index finger? what i do that it gives me a note a semitone higher

also i cannot afford lessons im afraid.
Adjust your mouth.

I used to play alto, but I switched to Tenor.

Muy better.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
I mean the key you press to get a G, but without the keys you press to get A and B
Quote by Angus_Junior35
Adjust your mouth.

I used to play alto, but I switched to Tenor.

Muy better.

what you mean its easier? isnt it hard to get those low notes?

additionally, i get really tired when i play. ive been playing for 5 months but i still feel light headed and knackered after 2 mins of puff.
no tenor just ,makes you look like a manbeast wilst weilding it
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
Quote by gamenerd323
no tenor just ,makes you look like a manbeast wilst weilding it

It always reminds me of overweight guys with receeding pony tails playing baker street at weddings, ho hum.
I don't know your solution to the problem but. I've been playing for 4 years now it's my favorite insturment! I mainly play Blues/jazz. Hmm maybe we should get a Alto Sax thread....?

Mein herz schlagt Schwarz Rot und Gold
I agree with digger, you might just need to find an alternate fingering.

A higher quality saxophone might help the problem a little bit also, but I think open notes do have slightly different tone/intonation on almost all saxes.
I had that same problem, but with low D and lower, I had to adjust the screw that holds down the pad near the first finger on the right hand, that helped for a bit, then all of a sudden it stopped.

It might be the small pad on the top of the neck, that caused problems for me at a point
Quote by mitchellator
I had that same problem, but with low D and lower, I had to adjust the screw that holds down the pad near the first finger on the right hand, that helped for a bit, then all of a sudden it stopped.

It might be the small pad on the top of the neck, that caused problems for me at a point

you mean like the metal plate?
Open notes are almost never "in tune" with the others, just because they're so open. Same thing happens on my clarinet, sax, and flute, so open just isn't right :/
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Open C#/Eb is always a bit off on an alto...the only way to fix it is with your embouchure, but that's quite a difficult thing to perfect.
Nope, no sig here.
Just to tell you...

You don't have the same embouchure for every note...
For example, when you play the G or A on a clarinet (G is open) you need to change your embouchure a bit... (and for other notes as well, not just the open one....)
Gear:
Buffet E13 Clarinet in Bb.
Canon 40D, Sigma 35 mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 L IS USM macro, Tamron 17-50 2.8, 50 mm 1.8.
Flickr
Quote by rhumst
Just to tell you...

You don't have the same embouchure for every note...
For example, when you play the G or A on a clarinet (G is open) you need to change your embouchure a bit... (and for other notes as well, not just the open one....)

Ok

thats useful to know
Quote by lucertia.
Ok

thats useful to know

Might be :P the changes are nearly unnoticeable, but they are there :P (I don't really think of it, but my teacher once said to do so-and-so when I took the open note)
Gear:
Buffet E13 Clarinet in Bb.
Canon 40D, Sigma 35 mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 L IS USM macro, Tamron 17-50 2.8, 50 mm 1.8.
Flickr
I used to play the alto sax. Dont squeeze the read to the mouthpiece so hard with your mouth. Only advice I can give...cause im not sure I know what the problem is
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
soz.. i play the tuba
Quote by Bamitchell
So you have possible wang cancer and your on drugs? PWNT.

"Money Can't Buy Life" - Bob Marley