Hey, so I'm about to customize my axe for the first time (I've had it done before by a luthier but I wanna do this on my own for once)

1. How do you change the decal on a headstock? Is it possible to buff out the decal or something?

2. What's under a pickup ring? Is the pickup ring part of the pickup cavity?

3. Anything wrong with drilling in holes? Like for example, when you add a different pickguard, you might have to drill holes. Will this affect the guitar in any way? Also, what about when adding a monkey grip?
Quote by YellowMelo
Hey, so I'm about to customize my axe for the first time (I've had it done before by a luthier but I wanna do this on my own for once)

1. How do you change the decal on a headstock? Is it possible to buff out the decal or something?

3. Anything wrong with drilling in holes? Like for example, when you add a different pickguard, you might have to drill holes. Will this affect the guitar in any way? Also, what about when adding a monkey grip?

1. The decal probably has a clear coat over it. You can sand it off. Buffing won't do it.

2. The pickup ring is what the pickup is attached to. There is nothing under it but the pickup and the cavity. Take the four corner screws out and you can lift it up along with the pickup.

3. Drilling a few holes for a pickguard isn't going to hurt anything.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by YellowMelo

Sand it off and re-paint, or sand it a little bit and paint over it. Some cheaper guitars you could probably buff it off with naptha, but I kind of doubt it.

Just the cavity is under there. Pickup and pickup ring come out as a unit.

Drill away. A little extra hole or three won't have any effect. A monkey grip, however, might. The only thing to worry about there is leaving enough wood to remain structurally solid. I've seen idiots make the grib too close to the edge and SNAP! handle comes off in their hand, along with most of the side of the guitar. Don't do it.