Can anyone please help me with this crazy feedback problem?! And to the jackas$ that told me to turn it down...wow, a regular guitar hero you must be. Seriously folks i really would appreciate the help! I play a gibson explorer, gibson les paul, and a usa tele. And all three feedback the same. Ive tried some noise suppresors but they all seem to kill my clean tones!!
Its the amp dumbass. Why do you have guitars that together probably cost like 7000 collectively through a 300 dollar amp? go out and get a new one.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Microphonic tube maybe? Adjusting settings may not be overall volume but the amount of gain. And you might just have to learn to turn the noise supressor off when playing clean.
Yeah, all you're doing is holding back the true potential of those guitars tonality wise. Definitely the time to get a new amp and if you have to, sell on of your guitars, it'll end up being wayyyyyy worth it.
Smart Pothead and Proud
First of all, how about you stop being a jackass. Turning the amp down is a reasonable suggestion, amps at high volumes tend to feedback easily.

Have you tried turning the guitar so that the pickups aren't facing the amp?
Maybe the pickups in your guitars? I mean it wouldn't be very likely on 3 guitars, but I have a problem with noise with my bridge pick up and not my neck pick up.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by brownsfan456
Its the amp dumbass. Why do you have guitars that together probably cost like 7000 collectively through a 300 dollar amp? go out and get a new one.

I could ask you same thing about running Delta Lab Effects into a Blues Jr.

Stop Implying that you think your choises in gear are better than his.

And the Spider Valve is not a bad amplifier, and last time i tried it, Had no feedback at all.

He should try seeing if any tubes are mircophonic or possibly just investing in a noise compressor.
If it is quite strong he should seek the former.
Quote by brownsfan456

LOL! Line 6 makes more products than just Spider IIIs.

The product in question here has a power tube section designed by Bogner, so while there may be a problem with it, the problem isn't that it's a $300 amp. These cost a lot more than that.

Anyway, there isn't enough info in the opening post. For example, under what circumstances is the feedback happening, when did it start, and what amp TS used previously?

If suppressors stop the feedback problem, then maybe it's a matter of improving muting technique on the strings you're not playing.

Best way to see how good you are at that is find a guitar with a sustainiac, turn on sustain mode with full harmonics and play normally. If you get a bunch of uncontrolled squealing, then it's your technique.
Quote by brownsfan456

It's not the amp, dumbass.

It's so pathetic that UG's hate towards the Spider-series amplifiers has turned into an all-out general hate towards anything Line 6. The Spider Valve amplifiers are actually pretty good. They have good tone and versatility.

Even the Spiders aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Chill.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
yea my spider valve had ridic feedback, so i bought an ISP decimator and it works wonders
i LOVE taylor swift...oyes in a creepy way
The only truly bad product Line 6 makes is the Spider, but really, even that isn't all that bad. The biggest issue I have is that for the price I payed, I could have gotten a better sounding amp. Mostly, I think it's widespread bitterness about a disappointing first amp. I like the effects on the Spider and the clean and crunch channels aren't bad if you take the time to fiddle with EQ.
+ 1 for all you Line 6 supporters.

My Vetta is regarded as one of the best ways to get so many tones in one package.
Hey thanks bro. Spider valve is actually a great amp that fits my tone needs well. I dont need a stupid huge amp rig and tons of pedals to carry around on tour. Thanks for the info bro. I really appreciate that
you need to give us some more vital information here man. i don't know if you made other threads about this and gave us the adequate details but i can't find that thread so i'm asking you here:

when and how does it feedback?

i'm sure you would have noticed that the amp only feedbacks when you do something like stand right in front of the cab facing the speakers. so what is it?
sorry bro, it will feedback on any size stage we play! Its really bad in the rehearsal studio. Ill be on the other side of the studio and it will still scream. Could i turn down the presence or anything without sacrificing my established tone? On a side note to anyone considering buying or listening to the crap being spoken about line 6 spider valves, let me just say i owned a mesa boogie triple rectifier and a large array of pedals. I reconsidered my rig after many nights on the road having to deal with setting up and tearing down. I bought the line6 rig with the shortboard and havent looked back.

Listen guys, its not the name of the brand on the amp that makes you a solid player. If someone likes the sound they get out of any amp that is their sound! Im new to UG and all im seeing is a
bunch of haters on other musicians that are trying to enjoy this community. Come on guys let keep this a great site to network and learn about our passion...guitars.
Welcome to UG!

Please ignore the ignorant people, you'll find that unfortunately, there are quite a few.

As the others have suggested, check your tubes to see if they're microphonic or not. You could always try a retube to see ifnhat held anything.

Line6 is a great company. I love the Spider Valve along win the Vetta, Flextone, and many others. It's a shame about the SS Spider series, and their distortion stompboxes.

Edit- to test for a microphonic tube, power up the amp, let it heat up, then tap each tube gently with a pencil eraser. You should hear a faint thump noise. If a tube is microphonic it will either not glow red or will make a weird sound when tapped. I'm not an expert on tubes so you might want to consult google before you try anything.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Last edited by jc349 at Oct 4, 2009,
Thanks bud i will try that as soon as we leave lake tahoe! I actually believe i was a member of this site before but i left because of all of the nonsense.
it should be a microphonic tube.

or a problem with the circuit.

you could try switching guitars, cables and other gear apart from the amp to see if the problem lies there. but as we all know, the problem would most likely be in the amp's circuit itself.

much as we all have strong opinions about the spider series (be it valve or not valve), they were not designed to feedback and scream like the way you described. if you can't solve the problem on your own, take it to a tech.
WTF with you Line 6 hater?????

They are teh brutolz dat made teh awesum Vetta
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Keeley is a nice guy he lives near me and has recently built me a new road case!
What kind of cable are you using... I find sometimes it can be the cable. A lot of people neglect the cable and sometimes it is the source of the problem. But yah check the tubes too.

I was playing a Hughes & Kettner Zentera its a SS preamp Tube power-amp amp and it was just screeching away at me I was using an ibanez destroyer with it, and the volume was quite low the gain was low too, the problem was the cable, thin unsheilded peice of crap...

So check your cable maybe just to be sure.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Ethanb08
What kind of cable are you using... I find sometimes it can be the cable. A lot of people neglect the cable and sometimes it is the source of the problem. But yah check the tubes too.

I was playing a Hughes & Kettner Zentera its a SS preamp Tube power-amp amp and it was just screeching away at me I was using an ibanez destroyer with it, and the volume was quite low the gain was low too, the problem was the cable, thin unsheilded peice of crap...

So check your cable maybe just to be sure.

Agreed.

Plug your guitar straight into the amp with a known-good cable. Then, with your guitar volume on 0-, turn it up. If it feeds back at this point, it's most definitely a microphonic tube.

If you don't get any feedback that way, try gradually turning up the volume again, this guitar with the guitar volume on full. The fact that all three of your (high quality) guitars have the same effect suggest it's certainly not a pickup issue.

When you get to the volume where the amp begins to feedback, you need to see if you can narrow things down to a single tube. I don't understand how the Spider valve's preamp section works, but the usual 'pencil tap test' should apply to any 12AX7s in there, along with the power section.

Googling 'microphonic tubes' should give you a wealth of information.
my spider amp used to feedback on me in my room, but not in my basement.... when playing in my room, it seemed to make a big difference how far away from the amp the guitar was, and the direction which the guitar was facing: guitar further away, pickups not facing the amp = less or no feedback

not very technical, but worked for me :p
Try the built in "noise gate" hold the tap button and turn the reverb past 12 noon and it should kick in. I run mine at band volume with no feedback problems. Double check your tubes too. I went through two sets in a year, they can go bad quick. It is easy to bias. I posted images and instructions on the line 6 site for biasing new power tubes. To all the haters - why? Man let people have their own taste. My SV absolutely rocks! You put some volume to it and it smokes!!!!! Wifey said it best "most musical amp" she has ever heard me own, which includes, marshalls, fenders, boogies, egnaters, shit ton of top line rack gear and too many tube amps to list. Just started practicing with new band and the consensus was that the SV was a "pro" rig. Solos were just singing, they were blown away with the volume and tone. Louder I played the sweeter the tone. I know a local guy that prefers his SV to his bogner ecstasty. He owns both and more and is continually impressed with SV. Not that he hates the ecstasty, but for 33% of the price.....SV is a marvel. If you really want to get blown away try one of the taylor electrics with the full size "rare earth" magnet humbucker pick ups. You will be totally blown away. I tried one into a bogner alchemist and it smoked the les paul I had just tried. Incredible tone. Not hating on the LP, but what a diff from the LP to the taylor.
Great info here, I'd definitely try a good cable, and do the tube test.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!