Over the past 6 months I have been taking a class at The Guitar Craft Academy in Hollywood, CA. The inspiration for taking this class was a China made Squire Strat that I took apart and needed to learn how to put back together. I figured if I was to learn how to design and build my own guitar from raw materials, I would also learn how to put back together my newly created pile of strat parts...

The first guitar I built was a PJ Bass based on the Fender design. The second is a custom chambered double cut-away. Specs and pics to follow...
Specs:
Basswood body
Flame Maple bent top
Maple neck
Ebony fingerboard
Pickups:
Neck - Precision Bass handwound
Bridge - Jazz Bass handwound
Gotoh Bass Tuning Keys
Schaller Roller Bridge

Chambered Mahogany body
Mahogany top
3-piece Laminate tilt back set-neck (maple/ebony/maple)
Maple fingerboard w/ black binding
Ebony headstock cap
Handwound pickups based on '59 PAF Humbuckers
3x3 Grover Imperials Chrome Tuning Keys
Pigtail Wraparound Bridge

The truss rod cover is made from a piece of the maple/ebony/maple after being cut away from the neck during shaping. The ebony spine for the neck is made from a 5-string bass fingerboard.

Note: Click for larger images...
Last edited by DezFX at Oct 3, 2009,
I thought the warlock kinda body was not right for the second one. But good for you for being original. They both look awesome.
Quote by turd_ferguson
[0:17] If my parents knew I was part of a group who celebrated christmas by drinking cough syrup they would probably cry

WEATHERER, the greatest band ever.
I love the bass, the guitar looks weird though. The neck isn't set far enough into the body, so the neck and bridge pups look... Out of wack... I bet they sound good though.
Quote by MadAudioMan
I love the bass, the guitar looks weird though. The neck isn't set far enough into the body, so the neck and bridge pups look... Out of wack... I bet they sound good though.

I see what you mean, fret access looks off the fo shizzle though
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
I really like the bass. The guitar isn't my thing, but it looks like it would play rather nice. I do like the headstock on the guitar.
Thanks for the comments!

The binding was something I had not planned on from the start but once I got into the build I thought it would be a nice touch.
Yes, full 24 fret access all the way up the neck.
The body is fully chambered on the left side.
The neck tenon goes about 3.25" into the body, past it's contact point, which puts it fully below the neck pickup without going past the pickup ring.
Honestly, they only look OK to me. The guitar looks really familiar. Some custom shop jackson I think looks similar to it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack