it's my birthday, and that means money for me to go get new gear!

what i'm looking for is something in the $0-300 price range.
i've already got two practice amps, and i'm looking for something to be able to gig with, and hear myself over the drums at practice!
i play alot of hardcore and metal stuff, and a bit of blues and jazz sometimes.
but mainly the stuff i play is "the fall of troy" "protest the hero" "amon amarth" and stuff like that.

are there any good amps for me in my price range, or am i better off saving up?
Quote by thanksgiving
That is quite unique...

Quote by navarreguitaris
What? She said "just solder it back together"?

Quote by JacobTheMe

"Hey guys check out this cool penis!"

LOL
if you have two practice amps then you should really save up
buying one for that price would be getting you pretty much the same thing
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
really? alright. thanks for the advice!
Quote by thanksgiving
That is quite unique...

Quote by navarreguitaris
What? She said "just solder it back together"?

Quote by JacobTheMe

"Hey guys check out this cool penis!"

LOL
You may wish to look into a used Line 6 Flextone - great sounding amp with a lot of models and effects. You can find them pretty cheap, too.
yeah you would be just buying another practice amp in that price range but you should look at peavy valveking 112 or a B52 tube amp they are in that price range and play very loud. they are in the 350-400 price range.
Quote by SpawnSC
yeah you would be just buying another practice amp in that price range but you should look at peavy valveking 112 or a B52 tube amp they are in that price range and play very loud. they are in the 350-400 price range.

Avoid the VK like the plague. They are pretty muddy and lifeless and aren't well suited for anything past blues rockish stuff - they sound horrid when put into higher gain situations.

B-52s are decent amps and you may be able to get a decent Protest tone (I believe they use Mesas). You're gonna want a British voiced amp to get a good FOT tone (Thomas uses Oranges last time I checked). I'm not sure what Amon Amarth use though.

Again, I think a Flextone would be a good investment.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Avoid the VK like the plague. They are pretty muddy and lifeless and aren't well suited for anything past blues rockish stuff - they sound horrid when put into higher gain situations.

B-52s are decent amps and you may be able to get a decent Protest tone (I believe they use Mesas). You're gonna want a British voiced amp to get a good FOT tone (Thomas uses Oranges last time I checked). I'm not sure what Amon Amarth use though.

I agree that the VK sounds muddy but i just bought a new speaker for it from lots of recommendations, but with a few mods its a very decent amp.

but he really should just save his money for a full stack and study up for what his needs are for the amp.
Porosky: Do you ever have trouble capturing the right tone?

Söderberg: Not in the studio so much, because there you have much time to dial it in, but sometimes live, if you play some festival somewhere and they can't provide the gear you want, then it can be kind of hard to get the sound you want. On a tour like this, we have the same amplifiers every night, so it's easy. We have an endorsement deal with Peavey. We get our amps from them, and every [overseas] tour we do this.

That is a interview with amon amarths guitarist
Quote by SpawnSC
I agree that the VK sounds muddy but i just bought a new speaker for it from lots of recommendations, but with a few mods its a very decent amp.

but he really should just save his money for a full stack and study up for what his needs are for the amp.

Fullstack? really?
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by WSR66
Fullstack? really?

While I do believe that a fullstack is a bit over the top for this situation (the TS says he has $300 right now and the dude suggests that he saves until he can get a full stack), there is absolutely nothing wrong with owning a fullstack.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
While I do believe that a fullstack is a bit over the top for this situation (the TS says he has $300 right now and the dude suggests that he saves until he can get a full stack), there is absolutely nothing wrong with owning a fullstack.

I agree, but its super super impractical. I would say just a 2x12 or 4x12 with a very versatile head would be better for him. Or even an awesome 1x12 combo.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by i_am_metalhead

i think the high gain chunky tones from the valveking really aren't that bad imo, but then again this is coming from someone who owns 600 dollars of gear in total...

the flextones are great for the price, snatch one for <250 dollars used and you'll be good. the old school marshall valvestates arent bad either for the price (the AVT's are awful however)
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.