What gear does he use? Specifically in "Black Friday Rule," it sounds purely like a lot of tube saturation, but I can't tell what pedals or amps he's using. Anyone know?
I've seen FM a few times and I always remember him playing a tele, don't remember amps though.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
ive always found a big part of flogging molly's sound is the fact that they use both acoustic and electric guitars. i havent a clue what kind of electric or amps they used when i saw them. aside from the facts that i was having a ton of fun in the crowd and was mildly drunk (who wouldnt be at a St. Paddy's day festival?), the rain kept causing the PA to short out. so basicly it was hard to tell what they were using just from hearing it. tele like RHCP said sounds about right, though im also fairly certain Casey also plays strats. looking at live pics on their website, i can clearly see a marshall in a couple pics, and a fender in one as well.

on that particular song, it sounds more like the marshall to me. crunchy with a good ammount of mids, though i still think the acoustic plays a big part in that song as well.
Quote by jof1029

though i still think the acoustic plays a big part in that song as well.

I'm not necessarily talking about their tone as a whole, specifically just the electric guitar tone. And even more specifically, the interlude during Black Friday Rule is what I'm looking at here.
after finally watching whiskey on a sunday, dennis casey is running 2 pedals in his rig. one looks to be a tuner, and the other looks to be an eq. i was wrong about the guitar however, he seems to be using a les paul on black friday rule. i was right about the amp though, seems to be running into a marshall (jcm maybe, werent too many good shots of it).

so basicly that tone is just a LP into a cranked marshall.
Quote by jof1029
after finally watching whiskey on a sunday, dennis casey is running 2 pedals in his rig. one looks to be a tuner, and the other looks to be an eq. i was wrong about the guitar however, he seems to be using a les paul on black friday rule. i was right about the amp though, seems to be running into a marshall (jcm maybe, werent too many good shots of it).

I thought about putting that vid in. Nice find on the gear.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
He isn't the guitarist. He plays the mandolin and banjo. So that answered nothing.

Really? I thought he played guitar too. My bad. Although I'd imagine they use similar amps. Flogging Molly's guitar sound doesn't sound super high gain or anything, so my guess is that it's either an overdriven Fender or a dirt pedal in front of a Fender.

edit: seems I've been beaten to it/corrected. Nevermind then.
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Oct 8, 2009,
yea I posted that video thinking that they were interviewing the guitarist, but it was the mandolin/banjo player by mistake.
Quote by jof1029

Hmmm, that's simple enough. I could've sworn it sounds like he's using something like a Fuzz Factory, Big Muff, etc., not necessarily a natural overdrive.