Well it not as great as my last find but I found this AL4042 first act guitar in the same pawnshop. I bought it for $30 tax free believe it not it's not that bad of a guitar. I want to do something with I just haven't decided yet. I think I might put two single coil pickups in it middle and neck position and make a custom pickguard for it myself. What do you think does anyone have any other ideals? The two things that made me want to buy it where the humbucker pickup and the volume and tone knobs. Does anyone know where I can get another set of them?

I like it and it's a lot of guitar for $30 bucks

I love these things it has a type of magnifying effect to it. Where the number that it is on looks bigger the the rest it was hard to get a good picture of it.

WORK IN PROGRESS

This is kinda of the way I want it to look I know I suck at photoshop

What do you think?
Quote by blindsagacity
Don't compromise what you want just because the other option is easier. That's how people get stuck with fat chicks.

Love it
_________
Last edited by YouWantToKillME at Oct 3, 2009,
I think you should kill it. With fire.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I think you should kill it. With fire.

sounds like fun!!!
Why don't you just try & see for yourself ? After all it's your guitar. Still, congrat for the find, nice thing for 30 $ to be gettin' .
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Should be interesting and fun.

The PUs are mounted to the pickguard?

Gotta second the kudos on the Burns-style split pickguard.

I bet if you replace the tuners, nut, and bridge, you'd be in bidness, after the PU swap...
How could I install a gibson style pickup selector in the left top corner? I mean without having to route it all the way through then drill a hole through to the pick up cavity to run the wire? What I'm asking is there a easier way?

Also where can I buy some cheap 3 ply pickguard material? I have found a couple places. But they are asking to much for it come on it's just plastic

Quote by blindsagacity
Don't compromise what you want just because the other option is easier. That's how people get stuck with fat chicks.

Love it
_________
Last edited by YouWantToKillME at Oct 5, 2009,
i really like what you did with the pick guard thats sweet, i would find a way to incorporate some pin-stripes to keep the same shape of the pick guard, also if it was me, i would find a neck with 24 frets, but that my personal playing style, this has a lot of potential, its all about what you want.
Thanks for all the support guys but how could I get the pickup wires to the pickup selector? How do I do that? There's no way to drill a hole that I see that's the last piece of the lay out puzzle. Then all that's left it to gather up all the pieces for it Like I said I need

1. 5 way gibson style pickup selector

2. Cheap 3 ply pickguard material

If anyone knows where I get these at a great price please let me know.

Also I have a bridge and middle single coil pickup can I use them as middle and neck positions? would that work? How would it sound?

Thanks
Quote by blindsagacity

Love it
_________
i think it would look good with some gold gibson style knobs on there too

edit: that is if you cant find more like the ones on there

ps nice mods bro. Looks fantastic
Last edited by FUT55 at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by YouWantToKillME
how could I get the pickup wires to the pickup selector?
18 inch long drill, from the output jack to the new switch cavity you put on the upper horn.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
What about these three things

Quote by YouWantToKillME
Thanks for all the support guys but how could I get the pickup wires to the pickup selector? How do I do that? There's no way to drill a hole that I see that's the last piece of the lay out puzzle. Then all that's left it to gather up all the pieces for it Like I said I need

2. Cheap 3 ply pickguard material

If anyone knows where I get these at a great price please let me know.

Also I have a bridge and middle single coil pickup can I use them as middle and neck positions? would that work? How would it sound?

Thanks

and this on more thing

I don't want to buy a neck pickup. How can you check a pickup to see if it's dead or just wired up wrong?

Thanks
Quote by blindsagacity

Love it
_________
Last edited by YouWantToKillME at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by YouWantToKillME

I don't want to buy a neck pickup. How can you check a pickup to see if it's dead or just wired up wrong?

Thanks

PLUG it in to an amp!!! lol !!! look at how it is wired and if anything seems wrong post a pic and Some Very helpful people will tell you.
it wasn't working when I bought it, it was in an old guitar
Quote by blindsagacity

Love it
_________
first acts are ****ttyyyyy Just get a new cheap pickup for it! whats ur budget???
Ever wanted to pretend to be Pete Townsend?
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Quote by YouWantToKillME

now im not trying to be negitive but im pretty sure that doesn't exist
(feel free to prove me wrong though)
i think the only kind of 5-way switch would be either a rotary switch or a blade switch
That’s how we’ll know. This is not a test, oh no
This is cardiac arrest

Of a world too proud to admit our mistakes
We're crashing into the ground as all fall from grace
Last edited by Demonic82 at Oct 7, 2009,
Gibson actually used to have a 6 way toggle that they used on their 3 pup models. Its been discontinued though...

And no 5 way either
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
There's a good reason why Gibson stopped making the 6-way.
IronGear pups all round and a decent setup will get it sounding good. Then worry about cosmetics.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by xstillspinninx
Ever wanted to pretend to be Pete Townsend?

I'm not gonna smash it

Quote by Demonic82
now im not trying to be negitive but im pretty sure that doesn't exist
(feel free to prove me wrong though)
i think the only kind of 5-way switch would be either a rotary switch or a blade switch

Don't worry about pissing me off because I'm not easily offended I here to learn

I will need everyone help to complete this especially when I go to wire it up

That's why I said a 5 way gibson (style pickup selector) I want one that looks like it

Keep the replys coming Good/Bad I will take them both

Thanks
Quote by blindsagacity

Love it
_________
Last edited by YouWantToKillME at Oct 7, 2009,
Would $37.95 be a good price on a 12" x 19" 3-Ply white pickguard blank?

Quote by blindsagacity

Love it
_________
you can get it cheaper.

Do you have a multimeter? If so you can test the pickup to see if it has any juice left.
Where can I get it cheaper? tell me please

No I don't have a multimeter how much does one cost? I called my local guitar shop and asked them if they could test it. They didn't know what I was talking about my local shop SUCKS!!

Thanks
Quote by blindsagacity

Love it
_________
I don't know where you can get it cheaper, google around. But somewhere must have it cheaper cause I can buy it cheaper here in Aus and stuff is always more expensive over here.

As for multimeters, you can buy a cheap on for around $5
I suppose you could make a decent guitar out of this but, it is gonna cost you. Unless you get some free or really cheap parts. but go for it. It will be a very good learning experiance and learning though experiance is how EVH did it and look at hime now,. lol. you could keep the pickup in the bridge and re wond it so it hotter, and you could even replace the magnet in it so it's more original, if thats what your going for.
Quote by SG Commander
keep the pickup in the bridge and re wond it so it hotter, and you could even replace the magnet in it so it's more original, if thats what your going for.

ITS A FIRST ACT!!! dont do that its too much work! its not worth it!

great quality for only like 30 bucks! http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html
Quote by SG Commander
I suppose you could make a decent guitar out of this but, it is gonna cost you. Unless you get some free or really cheap parts. but go for it. It will be a very good learning experiance and learning though experiance is how EVH did it and look at hime now,. lol. you could keep the pickup in the bridge and re wond it so it hotter, and you could even replace the magnet in it so it's more original, if thats what your going for.

- Rewinding a pickup is a lot more trouble than its worth on a cheap guitar like this.
- A hotter pickup does not always sound better, when you wind a hotter pickup you lose treble response and high end and the Resonance peak shifts from higher to lower frequencys.
- You can, though if you want get a bit more tone from the magnet. An AlNiCo 5 will give you Bright, glassy, good dynamics, tight bass, sharp attack and an AlNiCo 2 Warm, smooth, clear mid range, soft bass, soft attack.
There are also stronger ceramic and neo magnets and a few other grades of AlNiCo that would give you a different tone. The magnet which is in your pickup now is most likely an AlNiCo 5, but I can't be certain on that.

EDIT: I just remembered where I saw the cheap multimeters. Check them out: http://www.futurlec.com/Multimeters.shtml
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Oct 9, 2009,
Thanks for all the help/comments now how about the 5 way gibson style pickup selector? I don't want a blade and I don't know much about a rotary switch what's it do, turn? I want a toggle like of a switch is there anything like that?

3 MADE IN U.S.A, 5 WAY ROTARY CERAMIC SELECTOR SWITCH

Quote by blindsagacity

Love it
_________
My uncle has a router that he said I could use and he already has a bevel attachment for his. Would it be the same or will I have to buy this one?

5243 Pickguard Bevel Cutter $23.88

Quote by blindsagacity

Love it
_________
To be honest, a normal bevel bit would work.

Word of warning, though. Routers are really, REALLY powerful.
As in, it'll rip your finger off easily.
DO NOT PUT YOUR BODY NEAR THE BIT WHEN IT'S RUNNING.
Follow basic shop safety rules, plus: Don't lift the router till it stops moving.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^ this. my uncle (in his long hair days) had his hair pulled into a router, ripped the scalp in that area straight off. he was lucky. It could have pulled him with it and gouged him. So if you have long hair, tie it back.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
I'm sorry, dude, but 30 bucks for a first act isn't that great.
I got an Ibanez for 30 bucks at a pawn shop. *shrug*

Anyway, dude, just level frets, add a pickup, and lower the action as far as is humanly possible. At that point, it will play pretty well and sound decently good.

Have a sizzlin' day,
AJ
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster