Hi everyone!

I'm looking to buy a new guitar (it's going to be my second electric). I've been playing for a little more than 3 years and have decided that it's time to get a new guitar more suited for the style of music I'm hoping to play. I am going to be using this guitar to play music along the lines of Metallica and Megadeth, but would like to get a nice clean tone out of it too. I'm planning to use the tremolo a lot more since my first guitar didn't have a locking bridge, and so I didn't use the tremolo (and I'll be learning how to use it with this guitar).

The guitars I'm looking into are the Ibanez RG350DX (http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG350DX ) and the ESP LTD MH-250 (http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPMH250 ). I've heard they are both good guitars and I'm going to be heading to a store to try them out this week, but I figured it's always good to have an idea of what they sound like beforehand.

Some questions I have about these guitars are:

How are the Trem Systems in each (I believe the Ibanez has an Edge III and the ESP has a Licensed Floyd Rose)?
Do the necks lend themselves to faster playing?
Do the pickups sound good for the style of music I'm looking to play?
+ Any additional comments

*If you have any other suggestions for guitars (but please, do look at the above two first!), keep in mind my budget is about $450-$750 US and that I'm buying from local retailers (which means I can't order one to my doorstep from across the world).

Thanks for your help!
mmm
ok, i'll help.

well, they are both fine guitars with fine craftmanship. in this price point, you can get good craftmanship with not so good parts. In this case, it's the pickups and FR's of both guitars. The pickups are decent, and you can live with them, but the floy is the rough part. the Ibanez edge 3 has small parts called knife edges that wear too fast.

Both guitars are decent, but the ibanez bridge will last 3 years at much so I would get the ESP. however the ibanez has a better wood (basswood, against agathis on the ESP). on the other hand, the ESP has neck through construction wich gives better playability.

What is your actual amp? Your tone depends more on the amp, and the playability on the guitar. If you can play fine with your actual guitar but you cant get a good tone, I would change the amp. but if you cant play songs or get better because of your guitar, then change it.

In the end, i would get the ESP, because the trem lasts more, it has neck though design and the wood makes barely no difference right now.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Wrong forum and with $750,you can get a top knot used guitar
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
With $750, you can get a nice used RG550.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Thanks for the quick responses!

I still have my beginner's amp (a Crate TG10R which came with my first guitar in the Crate tour pack), but the amp sounds nice and I can achieve the tone I'm looking for. Eventually I hope to upgrade, but that's not too important to me right now. The reasons I'm looking into a new guitar are because my current one has a thick neck (doesn't lend itself much to faster playing), a non-locking bridge (even if I use it once, the strings go out of tune), and because I'd like 24 instead of 22 frets (for a change!). I don't plan on ceasing my use of my current guitar, but I'd like a new one to play different styles with. The two guitars I chose are available in my area, which is why I'm looking into them.

How much would it cost to replace a worn-out bridge (by a technician of course) on average? Also, I'm a bit scared to get a neck-through design guitar for fear that if it breaks, I'll have to toss the entire thing (I've never dropped my current guitar and there isn't so much as a scratch except for belt scratches back when I didn't know, but just in case).

I looked into used guitars, but most of the places around here don't have many used Ibanezs, ESP, or any guitars similar to that. Most have Strats, Teles, and SGs for sale (which are very nice, but not what I'm looking for).

Finally, sorry for posting in the wrong forum. Maybe a mod could transfer the post over to there?
You have $750. Go to Guitar Center and find an LTD MH-401.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
With $750, you can do a lot better. I own the RG350, and it's a great guitar except for the pickups and Edge III. A replacement bridge is between 200 and 300 dollars plus installation. However, the LTD's Licensed Floyd tremolo is really no better than the Edge III, and I'd say the pickups are worse. The Ibanez has better wood by far, they are both very playable (although I prefer the Ibanez), and they both have pretty good construction.

If you don't want to spend the full $750, I'd go with this, because it's an excellent guitar with playability just as good as the Ibanez you wanted, a warmer body wood, and a MUCH MUCH MUCH better bridge. Only issue is, it's got 22 frets, but who really uses all 24 that much?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S320-S-Series-Electric-Guitar?sku=512503
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
You see, the thing is, I'm in Canada, and as such, there's no Guitar Center around here. The budget is about $500-$800 CAD (which I sort of half-converted to US to make it easier if you're in the states).

I didn't think it'd cost so much to replace a bridge!

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I haven't found a shop which has the MH-401, but I'll definitely call a bunch of them up and ask if they have one in stock. As for the S320, I'm looking at it and you're right, it looks like a great guitar. I'll try one of em out (A better bridge is good to have, even regardless if there's 22 frets). It's around $550, which is a great price! I'm just wondering why it's cheaper than the RG350DX (there's gotta be some way they cut costs...just worried, that's all).

Also, how do you find the neck of the guitars you've all recommended? Is it well suited for the style I'm going for?

Thanks again!
Well, replacing a bridge isn't all that hard. you block the trem, take the springs out, take the strings off, take the block out, take the bridge out, and do that all in reverse.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Ah, I see it is a complicated process. I guess that's why guitar technicians are employed!

I've been looking more and more into the Ibanez S320, and I really like that guitar. However, there's videos on youtube and posts in various forums on how the ZR tremolo system is made out of a cheaper kind of metal and that a piece of it breaks in half. I was wondering if this is really as common as it appears to be, or if it's just overblown. Also, I was wondering if, in fact, it is true, whether or not it's possible to prevent it from breaking using some kind of DIY method.
go on to ebay and buy the titanium tremolo
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
I suppose, but those run in the hundred dollar range. Also, like I said, I don't want to order online (buyin local!). Thanks for the suggestion though.
Quote by IBORLTD
Ah, I see it is a complicated process. I guess that's why guitar technicians are employed!

I've been looking more and more into the Ibanez S320, and I really like that guitar. However, there's videos on youtube and posts in various forums on how the ZR tremolo system is made out of a cheaper kind of metal and that a piece of it breaks in half. I was wondering if this is really as common as it appears to be, or if it's just overblown. Also, I was wondering if, in fact, it is true, whether or not it's possible to prevent it from breaking using some kind of DIY method.

No, it really isn't.

It's held on by 2 things, the strings and the springs. take both off, and it comes right out.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
if its not,use a crowbar
Quote by angusfan16
Haha, crowbar!

So I'm comparing all 4 guitars on the list (Ibanez RG350DX, ESP LTD MH-250, Ibanez S320, and the ESP LTD MH-401). So far, the ibanez S320 looks to be the nicest one in my opinion, followed by the ESP LTD MH-401. I think I'll be taking the RG350DX off the list, leaving me with the top 3 (unless any of you would like to suggest more, in which case I'll check those out too ).

So between the Ibanez S320, ESP LTD MH-250, and the ESP LTD MH-401, which do you prefer and why?

Oh, and Happy Birthday Meow.
Last edited by IBORLTD at Oct 5, 2009,
I like the MH401 best.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
that one!!

right there

no,little to your left

WTF up with you,look up

there you go,perfect guitar!!!
Quote by angusfan16
Haha!

The reason I'm looking so deep into this is so I can get as close to the perfect guitar (for me) as possible!