Hi,
I just bought a new used (it's 15 years old) guitar and the pickup covers and the bridge are very dirty and worn off, how can I clean them up? Do I just need to polish them with some polisher? They have some green stuff on them and they are really dirty.

If it helps it's a gibson les paul with gold hardware.

Cheers
Hendrik
all the hardwear on my acoustic is gold and it did the same thing. I think Goo-Gone will take it off just put a little bit on a cloth and wipe it down.
Quote by kornnolis
all the hardwear on my acoustic is gold and it did the same thing. I think Goo-Gone will take it off just put a little bit on a cloth and wipe it down.

Goo-Gone?
Sorry I'm from belgium so we don't have the same brands, maybe you can tell me what it's made of?
Quote by BurningStarlV
I have the same problem.

I hate gold hardware.

Did you do something about it?
Quote by BurningStarlV
Nope. I'm watching this thread hoping somebody knows how to clean it up.

Well, the pickup cover are easy to replace, it's like 10eu here to replace them and they have nothing to do with your sound, I'm stuck on the bridge though, I don't want to pay another 100-150eu for some pieces of gibson hardware.
yeah i have the same problem with the hardware on my ec-1000 so if anyone has any good solutions i would love to hear them
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
You have to be careful when it comes to cleaning Gold hardware. Some chemicals will strip the gold right off. Mainly because it's not real gold and the plating is very thin depending on the manufacturer of the parts. I uses a little dish washing detergent on a damp rag and a lot of elbow grease. Googone is something I would stay away from because it can melt plastic and stain/craze a finish if it gets on it. I found that out the hard way trying to remove glue from a sticker on a guitar pickup.

I have a friend that gold plates automotive badges and emblems that has replated some of my gold harware and it looks brand new.

John