Hey UG,

Today I picked up my guitar and played for a couple hours. After putting it back on the stand, I realized my belt buckle had scratched the hell out of the back of my guitar. Because my guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded, it has a lacquer finish and the scratches are right into the wood. Anybody know if there's any chance of at least hiding the scratches? I doubt there's any way to scratches right out of the body, but any ideas on hiding them would be greatly appreciated.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
How can the scratches be in the wood if it has a lacquer finish?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
It's really thin. As in, you can see the grain of the wood thin.

EDIT:

I don't know if the description on the Gibson website will help you understand or not.
Description
Gear:
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Last edited by TheLifeguard at Oct 3, 2009,
It is an open pore finish, so you can't really hide anything - it will stand out if you try and fill it. It is a utilitarian guitar, and it will scratch very easily, but it hides scratches very well due to the nature of the finish... It is a utilitarian guitar. A Gibson without all the trimmings, that you don't have to worry about a scratch here or there on it. The carved top will also scratch over time as well due to the picks hitting it. Hell, if your fingernail hit it hard enough it would leave an indent as well.

It is just something you will have to get used to... It happens to all guitars, just moreso this specific model than others. In fact, it happens so much that a term has been coined for it - buckle rash.
Last edited by TheTrebleMaker at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by TheTrebleMaker
In fact, it happens so much that a term has been coined for it - buckle rash.

Really? Wow. Never came across that while I was researching it

I guess it is what it is, I'll have to deal with it. Maybe invest in a new belt buckle though.
Gear:
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
some guitars are collectible, others are meant to be played. the studio is exactly that. purely functional without being superfluously loaded up with things to make it pretty and expensive. fender people love to beat the sh1t out of their loved ones. its a badge to be worn with pride.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Last edited by fullsailstudent at Oct 4, 2009,