It is only on the upper 2nd octave frets, low 20's, so they are near the pickups - steel wool isn't really an option due to that. What say you guys? How can I get these little pieces of metal shining again
Last edited by TheTrebleMaker at Oct 3, 2009,
What?! Why isn't steel wool an option? If it works on some frets, why not others? Please enlighten me on the topic.
Quote by supergerbil
What?! Why isn't steel wool an option? If it works on some frets, why not others? Please enlighten me on the topic.

Because it will get stuck to the pickups. The extended range fretboard is so close to the pickups there isn't even enough gap between it and the fretboard to fit a pencil... The steel wool sticks to the magnets.
Quote by supergerbil
So you can't cover the pickups?

I could just take the neck off if I wanted to too, but the double locking floyd makes it sort of hard to do anything. I just restrung it yesterday, and to be honest, don't want to go restringing it again just so I can cover the pickups. What I've been doing is dipping the tremolo really hard so the strings are all lose and just steelwooling them from there up to the upper frets
What are you on about? Why would you need to restring it to cover the pickups? Just slide a cloth under the strings, or a bit of tape, over the pickups.
Quote by supergerbil
What are you on about? Why would you need to restring it to cover the pickups? Just slide a cloth under the strings, or a bit of tape, over the pickups.

I guess you'd have to see the guitar to see what I am talking about... I just did it anyways, I used brass wool instead and just used compressed air to clean it out
OK. I messed up on the title. I meant oxidation from pickup polepieces and oxidation from thin frets near pickups on a polished fretboard... That's why I can't cover the pickups, because I'd have to take everything apart to cover everything but the poles. I was able to brass wool the frets, but I still don't know what to do about the polepieces.
there was a thread asking the exact same question yesterday. It's probably still on the first page, read that.
Quote by guitarcam123
there was a thread asking the exact same question yesterday. It's probably still on the first page, read that.

Yes... And they recommended steel wool. Which would get in the magnets.
I found this by when reading about pickups, but thought of your thread once I saw it, so I hope this answers your question.... I think they're talking about the entire magnet in the pickup, but it might work for your situation

48) My magnets have rusted, how can I clean them and prevent it happening again?

Don't use steel wool because little pieces break off and stick to the magnets. An ordinary kitchen scourer with care and vigour will clean rust without damaging anything else, (but be careful not to rub the black bobbin surface too much). After cleaning thoroughly apply a light coat or two of clear nail lacquer (polish).
Impossible is Nothing