Hey all,

Fairly newish player here (Jan 09), Im slowly building up my collection of effects and so far I've got a EHX memory boy and a Mean Green machine (Tube screamer cloneish) overdrive made by matt at stompunderfoot.

I've been looking for ways to achieve a nice classic rock/ Gilmour solo's similiar tone, that screaming pleasant tone (nothing too harsh, am not into serious metal). I can achieve my blues tone absolutely fine with just my overdrive.

Im gonna be playing it through a Fender HRD tube amp and a strat mainly.

The main reason I ask is I notice theres ALOT of fuzz pedals and ALOT of them are of various qualities. It seems higher the price higher the quality, but unfortunately I can't be breaking the bank yet. I need a pedal that fills the role and is versatile but fair on the wallet, around £60-80 ($100-140).
I guess I'm looking for something in the range of a Green Russian/Civil war big muff.

To much to ask?

Any advice most appreciated.

Thanks!
If you're looking for Gilmour tones, I've been able to achieve similar things with a USSR Big Muff, so I'd look for something like that. I think what Gilmour actually used was a Ram's Head Muff, so you might pick a clone of that up. (stompunderfoot makes one, don't they?)

I'd avoid the Fuzzface, though, especially the new ones. I found it very harsh and bright, not at all what I'd look for in a fuzz, and definitely not for Gilmour's tones.
Last edited by Led Dirigible at Oct 3, 2009,
A bunch of options, especially for Muff type fuzzes.

IMO, you can't go wrong with a Russian Muff, cheap and great modding platforms. I had mine modded recently by a forum member, and it sounds 10x as good as it did before.

There's also the Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz, which is a Green Muff clone. Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys uses one occasionally (though he was using a big Green Russian when I saw them a couple of years back). I know of one forum member who has one, and he raves about it.

Other than that, there's the Frantone Peach Fuzz, which is out of your range, but amazing sounding. Unfortunately, Frantone stopped making pedals, afaik.

Also look into the MJM Foxey Lady. It's based of the Guild Foxey Lady, the precursor to the Big Muff. A little hairier than your typical muff sound, but still amazing sounding, IMO.

And since you mentioned stomp under foot: http://www.stompunderfoot.com/BIG_MUFFS.html

Another one that gets a hairy, garage rocky, type tone is the Maestro Fuzztone (I believe FZ-1A is the reissue model to which I'm referring.) I'm pretty sure they're discontinued again (the reissues), but you can find a RI in your range, I'm sure.

Outside of those muff type options, of which there are more., there are a ton more options, as well. The Death by Audio Fuzz War has a darker sound that can be smooth as silk or very aggressive. MJM makes a ton of good fuzzes, as does MI Audio. MXR has the Classic 108 fuzz, which is the best Fuzz Face sounding pedal I've heard for the money. Devi Ever has a bunch of fuzzes which a lot of dudes swear by. Blackout Effectors has a bunch as well.

You can pretty much spit and hit a great fuzz maker in the current market.
Quote by Led Dirigible

I'd avoid the Fuzzface, though, especially the new ones. I found it very harsh and bright, not at all what I'd look for in a fuzz, and definitely not for Gilmour's tones.

Most definitely agree with this statement. The MXR 108 sounds great, though.

I also forgot to mention the Way Huge Swollen Pickle, which is a muff type fuzz, if I'm not mistaken.
Quote by Led Dirigible
Way to own the thread.
TS, you may also want to look at this.

I'm a fuzz whore.
Quote by Led Dirigible
I wish I was as fuzz savvy as you.

Lots of testing has taken place. I've owned about 6 different fuzzes and tried about 25 (wish I had tried a few more). I can't even remember all the ones I've tried. Most of the information I got off of the net, so just do some research and you'll probably be more knowledgeable than me
I owned a WH Swolen pickle andvit had to be the LOUDEST pedal (volume) i've ever owned!! It was a nice sounding Fuzz pedal............But It wasn't as good IMO as my Russian muff.
It depends for what Gilmour tone you like. Early was a germanium fuzz. I'd go for a MJM London Fuzz it's very good.

Then he started using silicon fuzz on Atome Heart mother. The Jimi Hendrix Fuzz by Dunlop (the kind of blue one) is very good unlike the red one. I have one and it's totally the tone of the song echoes.

Then on the album Animals he started using a big muff. The BYOC Large Beaver Triangle is very good for Gilmour from 1977 to present.
I'm gonna have to say that as a guy who likes sustain and it looks like you do too, i'd say get a big muff pi USA. Don't be afraid to set your amp abit strange or set the pedal abit strange though, there's a lot you can do with those three dials (in combination with smart eqing) you gotta try it out
Used Skreddy Lunar Module?

I don't know Gilmour's gear that well, check out Gilmourish.com
gilmour uses a big muff, i have a clone and it achieves his tone perfectly!!!! get it!
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I'd talk to Matt at stompunderfoot again, if that would be within your budget after all is said and done. If not, a Russian big muff would be my choice.
Way Huge Swollen Pickle, Danelectro CC Fuzz (frantone clone, IIRC) or one of those new MXR fuzzes would do nicely.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Ok after extensively listening to: http://www.stompunderfoot.com/BIG_MUFFS.html comparisons. As matt's overdrive pedal was fantastic, I am confident his muff clones will be too.

I've decided to break it down between a Ram's head and a violet Ram's head (gonna get a Russian muff later on). As his Overdrive pedal was fantastic, I am confident his muff clones will be too.

Just wondering people's experience on both of these, and which one I should be shooting for. Like i said Im aiming for the classic rock lead tone/ gilmour tone with versatility for future tone endeavours. The examples are are great but rhythm focused, so as I'm still in question how they sound in lead tone.

I would greatly appreciate any more advice/experience from the community.
Last edited by Azaril000 at Oct 4, 2009,
Thanks all for the replies so far, keep em coming, really stuck on this violet ram's head vs regular ram's head!
Quote by imgooley
I had mine modded recently by a forum member, and it sounds 10x as good as it did before.

Quote by Azaril000
Ok after extensively listening to: http://www.stompunderfoot.com/BIG_MUFFS.html comparisons. As matt's overdrive pedal was fantastic, I am confident his muff clones will be too.

I've decided to break it down between a Ram's head and a violet Ram's head (gonna get a Russian muff later on). As his Overdrive pedal was fantastic, I am confident his muff clones will be too.

Just wondering people's experience on both of these, and which one I should be shooting for. Like i said Im aiming for the classic rock lead tone/ gilmour tone with versatility for future tone endeavours. The examples are are great but rhythm focused, so as I'm still in question how they sound in lead tone.

I would greatly appreciate any more advice/experience from the community.

Honestly, I would be looking at Matt's Civil War Muff.
Civil War Muffs have a really great violin-like sustain when you use the neck pickup. Great lead tone, very smooth.