I am beginning to learn a 3 finger picking technique. The way im going about this is with this finger pattern.

(note: Index-I, Middle-M, Ring-R)

I-M-R-M-I-M-R-M-I

to me that pattern seems more logical than

R-M-I-R-M-I

Is this correct of me to think this? any other opinions?
I do R-M-I out of habit. It's like when you tap your fingers on a desk, it's more natural.
Whatever works for you, i dont like it because you use your middle finger two times more than the others.

RMIRMI does take a while to get to a point where its smooth and you play in fours instead of triples.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by Thegian
Whatever works for you, i dont like it because you use your middle finger two times more than the others.

RMIRMI does take a while to get to a point where its smooth and you play in fours instead of triples.

yeah the thing that seemed most awkward to me was it seemed like you were forced to play trips...but..smoothness comes with practice. might as well learn everyway
It's just a bit of odd counting in your head:

1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4
R-M-I-R-M-I-R-M-I-R-M-I

I picked it up from when I had nothing to do in class I would roll the three fingers like that but counting them in my head as a duple. Helped a lot when I actually got on bass to play that way.
Last edited by NoOne0507 at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by NoOne0507
It's just a bit of odd counting in your head:

1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4
R-M-I-R-M-I-R-M-I-R-M-I

I picked it up from when I had nothing to do in class I would roll the three fingers like that but counting them in my head as a duple. Helped a lot when I actually got on bass to play that way.

The counting is exactly the reason prefer when playing 8th 16th or 32nd notes
like R-M-I-M-R-M-I-M Thats the advantage imo to doubling up the middle
......1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4
Now when playing triplets I like just using each finger once
R-M-I-R-M-I-R-M-I
1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Oct 3, 2009,
^
It's your preference. I've never been able to get that comfortable doing R-M-I-M, I've practiced the odd counting enough to have it really engrained in my head.

R-M-I also works surprisingly well if you are playing shuffled 8ths.
Last edited by NoOne0507 at Oct 3, 2009,
R M I M is the way to go if you ask me. If you do it the other way, everything starts to feel like a hemiola
R M I is better for me if i play fast. But when i play slowly i use both RMI and IMR
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
i start with my index finger as well. i've never been able to do it the other way round.

EDIT: i meant i go I M R I M R
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Oct 4, 2009,
The counting thing becomes a subconscious kinda thing, whatever you want to call it .... you cant possibly count as fast as you may end up needing to so its just something that your fingers will become used to.

All in all, the hardest thing for me to do is keep the pattern up while string skipping, working on that most of the time now. Its all your preference anyway, even which direction you go but thats probably a natural development from the anxious/nervous finger tapping thing.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
ive been changing between both methods the last few weeks and cant decide which to use. R-M-I turns into triplets or even gallopping at a high tempo while with R-M-I-M I cant get much faster than 16ths at 105 bpm~
Im a natural guy for playing triplets @,@ i learned 3 finger with the I-M-R-I-M-R pattern, while playing scales and whatnots hehe. Now im 4 fingering and its superb =D
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
I like R-M-I for triplets (just feels nicer than I-M-R to me) and for 8th or 16th notes i'll go M-I-R-M-I-R-M-I so its a 2-3-3 grouping (adds up to 8)
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
whatever works for you. I always liked R-M-I-M-R but thats my personal opinion
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
the whole point of 3 fingers is to keep your fingers from getting fatigued. R-M-I-M-R-M-I-M-R kinda defeats the purpose. It does still help with speed a bit though....I'm a big fan of the R-M-I-R-M-I-R-M-I-R-M-I
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
i do two different types of three finger picking, the super fast R-M-I gallop, but otherwise for playing normally i just use R-M-I-M, the opposite to what you do but that doesn't matter