One word: Ibanez. Another word: ESP. One more word: Jackson.

I've heard some pretty bad things about that guitar in particular. Their higher range guitars are good though.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Oct 3, 2009,
iv never owned one, but iv played them, there ok but i cant stand the body shapes
yeah i'm a sucker for ibanez too. If you have the money though, go for a PRS
OI!

-Yes I drew that tomato
-Yes it's a rapist
First guitar, want to spend less money, not so sure if I'll like guitar so much. That is why I want to be safe and buy a cheaper guitar.
my first guitar was one of those 100$ barracuda things. Wasn't even mine actually, it was my brother's. It sucked in retrospect, but it certainly got me interested in playing guitar.

Another thing that could help is starting with acoustic. I don't want to start any debates here, but I find playing acoustic to be harder on the fingers than electric, so you'll progress faster.

Your decision though. For a first guitar, if you start electric, you can get something cheap
OI!

-Yes I drew that tomato
-Yes it's a rapist
Last edited by Jazzoon at Oct 3, 2009,
It depends on the sound you want. I perfer my Ibanez Gio GRG 170 over my Dean VXTL, but the dean works better for rythem, which is what I mostly play.
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
there is nothing and I mean nothing wrong with dean, they make great guitars most people who insult them are fanboys of other companies or people who cant play so blame the guitars
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
Quote by SlayingDragons
*Seconds this notion.*

Rondomusic.com

Can anyone recommend me a guitar for about 100 that's better than the Dean guitar and good for hard rock/metal?

Oh, and one that is NOT 3/4 size.
Last edited by dsan224 at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by Jazzoon
my first guitar was one of those 100$ barracuda things. Wasn't even mine actually, it was my brother's. It sucked in retrospect, but it certainly got me interested in playing guitar.

Anothing thing that could help is starting with acoustic. I don't want to start any debates here, but I find playing acoustic to be harder on the fingers than electric, so you'll progress faster.

You're decision though. For a first guitar, if you start electric, you can get something cheap

You know, I absolutely hate playing the acoustics at my school. But they really help strengthen your fingers.
Quote by dsan224
Can anyone recommend me a guitar for about 100 that's better than the Dean guitar and good for hard rock/metal?

lets face it, if you honestly want to succeed you have to be willing to pay more for a decent guitar not just expect that you can get one for 100
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
Quote by SlayingDragons
You know, I absolutely hate playing the acoustics at my school. But they really help strengthen your fingers.

I'm in a guitar class in my school and we use acoustics, so yeah I just want a guitar that I can play at home.
Quote by dsan224

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-M-53-Electric-Guitar-515729-i1384550.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG120-Electric-Guitar-103576583-i1167511.gc

slayingedit:

Look around for used guitars.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Oct 3, 2009,
That guitar will be fine as a first guitar. I think most of the people that say Dean is a bad guitar company haven't even played one, they are just following the crowd. But in my honest opioion Dean makes some good stuff. The Vendetta is a great guitar to learn on, of course you will want to upgrade later if you decide you want to keep playing. But just to see if you grow a interest for guitar, it will be just fine.
Quote by SlayingDragons

I meant something from Rondo Music. I've already considered the Ibanez RG120 and I want to be safe, I don't know if I'll really like guitar so I don't want to spend a lot on my first. Yes, to me 200 is a lot because I have never owned a guitar before. Remember I am an absolute beginner.
wait actually in regards to my earlier statement where do you live, i'm use to australian currency which is why it was a bit harsh
Quote by War_Demon
wait actually in regards to my earlier statement where do you live, i'm use to australian currency which is why it was a bit harsh

I live in the US, maybe 30 minutes away driving from Washington DC.
Quote by SlayingDragons

Look around for used guitars.

This.

Many people are afraid of buying used guitars just like they're afraid of getting anything else pre-owned. However, it is definitely something to look into as you can often have some really good deals.
OI!

-Yes I drew that tomato
-Yes it's a rapist
Quote by dsan224
I live in the US, maybe 30 minutes away driving from Washington DC.

well 100 us is considerably more than 100 us and you probably could get a decent guitar for that price

also as far second hands go, I only have ever purchase one but it was my latest a cort evl-k4 for roughly half the price of new it plays extremely well
Quote by War_Demon
well 100 us is considerably more than 100 us and you probably could get a decent guitar for that price

also as far second hands go, I only have ever purchase one but it was my latest a cort evl-k4 for roughly half the price of new it plays extremely well

You can't even get a decent used guitar for $100
TS, playing styles? I'd say spend $200 on a used Fender Standard but I don't know what you're looking to play
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
TS, playing styles? I'd say spend $200 on a used Fender Standard but I don't know what you're looking to play

I will be playing hard rock and metal mainly, but I might play some alternative and and even a little classic rock. But it will be mainly hard rock/metal.
Quote by War_Demon
there is nothing and I mean nothing wrong with dean, they make great guitars most people who insult them are fanboys of other companies or people who cant play so blame the guitars

Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02. I have a 1983 Dean Z Flametop as well as quite a few newer Deans. New Deans are alright guitars but not for the money. I mean, come on now. 1 large for a Chinese made CFH guitar that blows chunks? No thank you.

Dean made good guitars. Now they make shit.

Anyways, TS, if you can be happy with the Dean, then by all means go for it. I'd recommend not wasting your money though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'm still trying to decide if it's better than a Squier Bullet Strat, I'm leaning towards the Dean though.
Don't get the Dean. Trust me. The Ibanez GRG 170 (http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/Series-grg) is one of the best started guitars that I've played. I'm not an expert by any means, but I played the Ibanez and the Dean to compare them and the Ibanez is well worth the extra $100 or so you'll pay.
Quote by Geldin
Don't get the Dean. Trust me. The Ibanez GRG 170 (http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/Series-grg) is one of the best started guitars that I've played. I'm not an expert by any means, but I played the Ibanez and the Dean to compare them and the Ibanez is well worth the extra $100 or so you'll pay.

No it is not, they both are POS guitars.
Quote by darkcheef
No it is not, they both are POS guitars.

Mine's doing everything I want it to and it sounds good to me. Hence, I consider it good. I don't think it's perfect by any means and it is certainly far far away from an excellent guitar, but it far outstrips the Dean Vendetta.
Quote by muckypup
The Dean Vendetta will go out of tune quick, have crap pickups and really not be a very good guitar, but for $100 what are you expecting? you need to spend more like $250 and get yourself something nicer that will sound good and stay in tune dude.

For something that is my first guitar...

And I don't even know how much I'll like guitar...

That is why I'm not spending $250 on my first guitar.
If you don't like it, sell it at a pawnshop to recoup your losses. What most of us are hinting at is that if you have crappy unreliable stuff to start with, you might get frustrated and quit because of it. On the other hand, if you were to get ok-ish equipment to start with, the amount of frustration is diminished significantly.
If you start playing and decide you don't like it, but get a decent guitar to start on, it will have a better resale value than a $100 piece of crap that will probably in the end discourage you from playing in the first place.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Do you guys think it would be best to get a Squier Bullet Strat as a first guitar? With a Peavey Vypyr amp? The Squier is not very metal which is why I'm hesitant on it.
Last edited by dsan224 at Oct 4, 2009,
Quote by dsan224
Do you guys think it would be best to get a Squier Bullet Strat as a first guitar? With a Peavey Vypyr amp? The Squier is not very metal which is why I'm hesitant on it.

No, if you want a "metal" guitar get anything with humbuckers in it.
Quote by dsan224

the squier may not be very "metal" but neither is that dean. Personally I'd recommend going used (higher end squiers can get dirt cheap on craigslist) The Vypyr is a fine amp though.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/msg/1405928946.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/msg/1398988689.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/1402076702.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/1404824734.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/msg/1393773569.html (amp on that one)

are all things you may be interested.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/