I have an old right handed bass kicking around the house that no one uses and I want to convert to a left handed bass. I'll make a new body for it, pickups and bridge shouldn't be a problem as they are generic really, so my question is with the headstock. I know on guitars, a reverse headstock isn't a big head, does it matter for a bass, tension wise or anything having the low E string going to the highest tuner? I don't mind tuning them in reverse position, just not sure if switching it around would matter. I know I need a new nut and I'll get one from graphtech.

Thanks.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
hmm i dont think it should be a problem as long as the nut and bridge are set up lefty
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
All it could possibly do is make the headstock bow a bit, cause the highest tension string is pulling at the top of the headstock. I couldn't think of anything else.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Well I got the wood to use, so for a free bass i'll give it a shot. lol.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Tension will be no problem whatsoever- on a medium set of bass strings, the tension is as follows:

G 43.5lbs (.045)
D 48lbs (.065)
A 45lbs (.085)
E 43.5lbs (.110)

The E string NEVER has the highest tension in a string set. In fact, often it's the lowest two.

A flipped 3 lbs of pressure won't do anything, anywhere. The neck doesn't bend more in one direction when the difference is on one side, why should it when it's flipped to another?

Additionally, why bother making a new body? I know someone on this forum uses straight lefty flips and he plays fine.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Tension will be no problem whatsoever- on a medium set of bass strings, the tension is as follows:

G 43.5lbs (.045)
D 48lbs (.065)
A 45lbs (.085)
E 43.5lbs (.110)

The E string NEVER has the highest tension in a string set. In fact, often it's the lowest two.

A flipped 3 lbs of pressure won't do anything, anywhere. The neck doesn't bend more in one direction when the difference is on one side, why should it when it's flipped to another?

Additionally, why bother making a new body? I know someone on this forum uses straight lefty flips and he plays fine.

Thanks for the info. As for the body, why not? I rather not have the knobs in my way, have the proper fret access, and since I have 2 lefty guitars, a lefty bass just seems right. lol.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by GeToChKn
Thanks for the info. As for the body, why not? I rather not have the knobs in my way, have the proper fret access, and since I have 2 lefty guitars, a lefty bass just seems right. lol.

I'd personally just trim down the upper horn to be more like the lower horn.

something like this:

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Reverse headstock isn't a problem, some manufacturers do it on purpose. What bass is it anyway?
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
The NUT. Swap that guy out, and you'd be fine i think from beside what others are saying.
Try adding more delay.
the guys are right. There will be no difference on the headstock. I have a couple that I did just that, put the lefty neck on my righty, and put the righty neck on my lefty to have 2 reverseheads...

worked for me with zero issues.....

I was going for this look....( in this pic I did not flip the nut yet, but it works 100% )