I seek suggestions from those who are far more in the know than I as I'm sure many of you would be aware of models I wouldn't think to try nor have heard of.

- I play blues and classic rock mostly
- I love the 5-way switch and trem bar on my Freeway, I have a hard time imagining myself playing an axe without these features, but of course not necessary.
- Willing to spend ~$1500 or so max.

Been playing many at the local shops the last week and I like a couple PRSes, there was an Ibanez (RG???) that was very nice and of course, a bunch of Strats I was digging (and some others, I just played one after the other to get a feel for all the variety).

I can say that it's gotta have either HSH or SSS (preferably the former). Of all I have played, these give me the sound I consistently enjoy.

Thanks a lot for any help.
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
strat.. With SSS configuration. its the best to get stevie ray vaughan, jimi hendrix, clapton sounds out of it, also, use a big muff on lower gain settings and you have classic rock. turn the muff up and your get hard rock to a bit of metal.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I would personally recommend an Ibanez s series. These guitars are so versatile and can suit almost any genre because of the 1 humbucker and 2 single coils, they feel great too.
Thanks fellas. Well I spent a few hours at the store today playing some Godins, Strats, a $2500 PRS (for the hell of it, it just looked so purdy) and a bunch of Les Pauls.

I wonder if it's the same for anyone else who had one guitar for a while before getting the next, but it doesn't matter how high-end the one I tried, I kept thinking "This doesn't feel as good as my Freeway" lol. It's obviously just that I've become so comfortable with mine, of course.

I'm leaning toward the Strat Deluxe, I am really digging the pickup switching system. It's pretty wild how many tones you can get out of the damn thing. I kept having this nagging doubt in my head, saying to myself "This isn't different enough from your Freeway" but if I get the SSS setup, it most certainly is, I could really hear the difference. I'd most likely use my Freeway (HSH) for the heavier stuff, though the Strat is amazingly versatile.

(I did not think much of the strings on them, though, most certainly would get those off right when buying if I do.)
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue
Les Paul, Godin, and of course a strat...
Something with sustain is good = )
If you already have a HSH guitar and you want either another one or a SSS, I'd definitely get the SSS. Especially if it's an American Deluxe Strat, mine is amazing.
I think an American Deluxe Strat would suit you well.

You can certainly find them within budget used, and they're killer guitars. The S-1 switching gives a ton of options on top of the standard 5 way switching, and I haven't played one that didn't play like a dream.

The only thing I would change about them is the SCN pickups, but even those are nice pickups. I'd just prefer a more boutique/vintage thing.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
thats too much to spend on a strat--
you could get 2 great ones for that much----
in my opinion-- medium priced strats are so close to the big ticket ones-- you could get two and cover more bases
I disagree. I spent $700 on my used American Deluxe Strat, and it's easily the best strat I've played, barring some Custom Shop models.

Obviously that's not a deal you find every day, and it would be hard to justify spending new price on it, but used, I think American Deluxes are worth the money.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by brokenarrow5
thats too much to spend on a strat--
you could get 2 great ones for that much----
in my opinion-- medium priced strats are so close to the big ticket ones-- you could get two and cover more bases

Not at all. I thought about selling my Am. Deluxe to get a MIM since I don't play it much. A MIM isn't even close. The Am. Deluxes feel A LOT better. The MIMs just feel cheap. The Deluxe also sounded better. It was a lot sweeter and had much better dynamics and more harmonics. You could hear the difference acoustically. The MIMs sounded very much like my basswood RG (which is great for an RG but terrible for a strat). I played the MIM through tube amps while I play mine through a GT-10. I was surprised too. I decided to keep my strat after that day.
If you like Gibson necks, I can't recommend the Gibson SG Classic enough. Thin (but comfy) neck, incredible fret access (the neck is set at the 19th fret) and the P-90s in it simply glisten. P-90s ARE the classic rock pickup and if you need an example of P-90 blues, look no further than this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap3izIxqeNY

It has 3/way and no trem, but since you can buy this for 1000 new (I got mine for 600 personally), you have an extra 500 to add on the tremolo of your choice. I honestly don't think you'll need a 5-way switch. This is the very first guitar where I've felt that the pickup switch was really useful; it's gone beyond a regular trick in my arsenal into an essential part of virtuall all songs I play. The tone rolled back on the neck gives a thick, milky clean/blues tone. I usually combine low tone and lower volume on the neck with a higher full volume on the bridge and higher (Not quite full) tone to give a very visible difference between pickups and even the middle go-between. These P-90s really snarl when you roll up the tone, to the point that it's almost (But isn't) too much when the tone goes to 10. Instead, it simply shows that these things can turn a good solo into a searingly hot solo. Combined with the enhanced clarity Humbuckers don't usually give you and the extra strength a single coil can't provide, you've gon a wunderkind of a pickup in this guitar.

Also, it'll enhance your manhood.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
You might find something you like at Carvin.

I don't own one myself, but I know several people who own Carvin guitars, basses, and/or amps. All sing their praises.

And they seem to be in your price range.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
where are you from? i just bought my first Campbell American and honestly, you get the best value for those guitars. the Precix model is my favorite