what some gear that would 4 industrial metal, and how do they get those cool backgrounds sounds?
Something to create beats/sound effects, looper/trigger/sampler, and for amps I would say Engl, Peavey, Diezel, Bogner (or anything modern high gain and very tight and defined). Guitars don't matter as much, just as long as it feels good to you.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
You would need a program like FL Studio or Beatcraft to make beats that you could program to a looper or trigger on a laptop via a midi controller.

As far as amps, go with a Marshall MG (hey, it works for Wayne Static )
Guys in industrial use a wide variety of amps (Rammstein use Mesas/ENGLs, whereas Orgy used Marshall JCM 900 SL-Xes) the tone has more to do with the way your amp is mic'd.

As for background sounds: get a keyboard player or get samples.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Budget?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Pretty much any amp with heavy distortion will sound good for industrial stuff. Industrial music isn't supposed to sound good by conventional standards.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Pretty much any amp with heavy distortion will sound good for industrial stuff. Industrial music isn't supposed to sound good by conventional standards.

I think Rammstein, Orgy, OOMPH!, KFMDM, etc all sound pretty good tonewise.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
That's because the likes of Rammstein are basically pop-industrial. Ya know?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
That's because the likes of Rammstein are basically pop-industrial. Ya know?

I do know. But regardless, its amazing. And TS, if you're going cheap on amps, try an old Marshall Valvestate. Worked for Prong, early Static X and White Zombie (not really industrial, but similar). However you'll want a little bit of a gain boost because mine doesn't have quite enough for me.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
to me the background stuff rarely seems like guitar. or if it is, it is heavy effects doing minimal playing. i would use a keyboard more for that, or get yourself one heck of a pedal board. think reverbs, delays, modulation effects and fuzzes. sounds a lot like what you would need for post rock actually, just with a different level of distortion. but most of it is probably keyboards or some sort of programming via computer program like fruitly loops.

amp wise, i would say anything with lots of gain and a modern tone.