By new years i'm going to buy a guitar and i was wondering which should i buy if i want to play soad.
The obvious choice would be an Ibanez but is there any other brand that might sound the same for a price range of $0-500.
I'm not saying i don't want an ibanez just dont know which model to buy thanks.
I'm pretty sure that Daron used to use custom Icemans.
Sending a dummy to my God.

I couldn't suggest a guitar but remember that most SOAD stuff is in drop c tuning...
Quote by protest000
I'm pretty sure that Daron used to use custom Icemans.

I know but the custom shop is only open to endorsees and thats way more than 500 bucks.
Oh and Icemans are discontinued now.
Quote by darkcheef
Anything with humbuckers, what amp do you have?

Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Quote by Nikkokami
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt

Change the amp, you wont sound much different if you change your guitar on a spider.
Quote by darkcheef
Change the amp, you wont sound much different if you change your guitar on a spider.

Thanks you're the only actually helping me everyone else seems to just be answering for ****s and giggles.

But any amp in mind?
Quote by schwinginbatman
What's your budget?

$500 is the absolute maximum. (excluding tax)
Quote by Nikkokami

In that price range, I'd recommend either, the Vox Valvetronix, the Peavey Vypyr, or perhaps the Roland Cube. Check them all out and see what you like, these are just good starting points.
Quote by Nikkokami

If you want to play really loud and heavy, get the B-52 AT112 for $300. It is a 60W all tube amp and can get seriously deafening. But if you need something quiet and more travel friendly, look into the Peavy vypyr series.
SOAD rules man.

They were my favourite band for soooooo long.

I liked them so much I bought an iceman. If you can find one, the IC200 is an AMAZING guitar for the price.

But, almost anything will work to play SOAD. In fact, before Daron started using Iceman's, he actually used Fender Stratocasters live.

And his Icemans werent very custom, to be honest. His main live guitar (I'm pretty sure) was a IC300, a basically stock, baritone Iceman, tuned to drop C. His pickups of choice were Gibson Burstbuckers ( I'm 90% sure ). Later on he started getting his dad to paint them with his original artwork.

After he got bored of the drop C tuned Iceman, He turned to Gibson SGs tuned to Drop D, 1/2 step down (drop Db) when Mezmerize came around.

I forgot to say that he used Gibson Les Pauls to record all his albums.

SO in short, if you can put .12s on it and tune to Drop C, and maybe throw some burtbuckers in there, and play it through a Marshall type amp, you can sound just like him.

Ya I'm a SOAD pro.
Last edited by Tedward at Oct 3, 2009,
Quote by darkcheef
If you want to play really loud and heavy, get the B-52 AT112 for $300. It is a 60W all tube amp and can get seriously deafening. But if you need something quiet and more travel friendly, look into the Peavy vypyr series.

Alright will do thanks for all the help really appreciate it
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
in System he used Ibanez Iceman's and gibson sg's so either of those would work great
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin