Hello UGers, I've gotten an itch to get a tube amp, and so far I've decided between the Peavey Valveking 100 watt head and the Bugera 6262 120w head. I mostly play thrash and metalcore, but I like to play clean as well. The Bugera is currently out of stock and won't be in stock for 2 weeks or more, but the Peavey is in stock. Also, the Bugera comes with a footswitch, whereas the peavey doesnt, and the bugera's footswitch is much nicer, and also has a switchable effect loop (that would really come in handy) but I am more concerned with tone. What do you guys think I should get?
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
ehh i own the vk100, the clean is cool. but distortion sounds a bit forced. now i just throw a distortion pedal in front of it.
I forgot to mention I don't care much for using distortion pedals, I prefer an amp distortion
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Well which one do you guys think I should get? I need to have good thick distortion.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Here are some standard questions that need to be answered before we can help you:

What band's have a similar tone to what you're trying to get? (just naming a genre is too broad)

What's your budget?

Are you willing to buy used? (If so where are you located, for searches on craigslist and similar sites)

Since you're buying a head, do you already have a cab? If not have you looked into any? (A cab can make or break an amp's tone)

Have you considered combos? (Often times you can find the same amp that you are looking at in head/cab form a lot cheaper if you buy it in combo form - or you can find a better combo amp for the same price as the one you're looking at)

Is this amp for bedroom use, jamming with friends, playing gigs, or a combination of them?

Have you tried the amps that you've mentioned? (Often times people buy an amp based on what they've heard from other people and not what they've heard themselves and end up very disappointed with their purchase)
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Oct 3, 2009,
For starters, I don't want a combo. I already have a combo. I need a head, which is why I specifically asked about 2 heads, and I have to choose between these 2 because I am going to buy them through the Zzounds Pay as you Play plan. And this amp is for gigs and band practice, and the bands we play range from Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Shadows Fall, etc, but I love melodic death metal bands such as In Flames, Soilwork, etc, so I need a good distortion, and I have checked reviews for the both of these, as well as sound tests. I just wanted to get an opinion off of all you guys, because I've heard Bugera users seem to have a problem with reliability.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
So, what amp would be best for my needs?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Don't rule out a Combo just cause a head looks cooler, it's very possible that the money you spend on a good cab with the head could be combined with your head money to buy a combo of higher quality and tone.

Also he asked what SOUNDS you want to emulate, because Metallica, Megadeth and Pantera use completely different rigs and have very different sounds. Out of those bands whose tone do you prefer?

Furthermore don't only choose from the Zzsounds shop, consider buying used. You can get some great gear at prices you can afford.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by Lovecannon
For starters, I don't want a combo. I already have a combo. I need a head, which is why I specifically asked about 2 heads, and I have to choose between these 2 because I am going to buy them through the Zzounds Pay as you Play plan. And this amp is for gigs and band practice, and the bands we play range from Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Shadows Fall, etc, but I love melodic death metal bands such as In Flames, Soilwork, etc, so I need a good distortion, and I have checked reviews for the both of these, as well as sound tests. I just wanted to get an opinion off of all you guys, because I've heard Bugera users seem to have a problem with reliability.

There's no need to be testy, I'm just trying to help you out so you don't waste your money. If you just want to ignore me then go ahead and do so, but I'm just here to help.

Why don't you want a combo? Combos can handle band practice and gigs just as well as a head.

Why is it narrowed down to just those two heads? I'm sure you have more to choose from than just them (and a better ones at that).

Reading reviews written by other people and listening to sound clips on websites will do nothing for you - you actually have to try an amp out in person to be able to form a good opinion on something.

When reading a review you don't know if the author has a good ear for tone or what other amps he/she has played or compared said amp to (if any for that matter). With sound clips you often don't know the exact gear that was used in conjunction with the amp (pickups, external EQs, speakers,etc) or what kind of post-production EQ has been added to make an amp sound better than what it actually does.

As far as the Bugera reliability is concerned if you're buying a new one then you shouldn't have any problems - those issues tend to pertain to their first run (or first couple runs) of amps and have since been fixed for the most part.
I'm not getting a head because it looks cooler. Im going to be running a full stack, and I didnt watch sound clips, i checked video reviews of a similar guitar style, as well as the same pickups.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
I've still yet to get an actual answer between those two, which would be the better amp for what I need? Im not interested in other amps, just those two. Don't recommend me other amps
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
The VK is a great head after some mods. However, the Bugera will eat it alive stock.

My advice is to buy it used and spend the saved money on an output transformer.

Also, don't run it with the VK cab, it's a pile of rubbish.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Why would I need another output transformer with the Bugera?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
What will a transformer change?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Get the Bugera because it is better suited to what you want to play. The VK will do just fine getting you thrash tones, but will come no where close to the dark raw aggression that the 6262 has to play modern metal.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by Lovecannon
I'm not getting a head because it looks cooler. Im going to be running a full stack, and I didnt watch sound clips, i checked video reviews of a similar guitar style, as well as the same pickups.

That still doesn't really help you at all. I've heard sound clips and watched videos on the internet and when I tried the amp out in person it was like a completely different amp all together.

And you still have yet to answer the question "Why do you insist on a head?".

Quote by Lovecannon
I've still yet to get an actual answer between those two, which would be the better amp for what I need? Im not interested in other amps, just those two. Don't recommend me other amps

There are far better amps on the market than both of those, amps which you could probably afford. However, since you wanna be closed-minded and act like you have a porcupine up your ass I'm done trying to help out.
Quote by Lovecannon
Why would I need another output transformer with the Bugera?

I meant with the Valveking.

The problem is the Valveking's stock OT is small and designed to be cost-effective (i.e. not sound as good as it should) Send a PM to Jason43 for more details, he was the first VK user to swap his output transformer.

An OT can run between $100 and $200.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by i_am_metalhead
That still doesn't really help you at all. I've heard sound clips and watched videos on the internet and when I tried the amp out in person it was like a completely different amp all together.

And you still have yet to answer the question "Why do you insist on a head?".

There are far better amps on the market than both of those, amps which you could probably afford. However, since you wanna be closed-minded and act like you have a porcupine up your ass I'm done trying to help out.

I said I have to use the Zzounds Pay as you Play plan, because I need this amp ASAP and I dont have time to save up 600$ in cash. I burn through money like a MF so I need a monthly payment or else Id never save up that money. I am limited to what ZZounds has in my price range. SO STOP TWEAKING THAT THERE IS BETTER GEAR IN MY PRICE RANGE! The only other stock Zzounds has in that price range is a Crate FlexWave, various Line 6 Spiders, Peavey Windsor, Epiphone So-Cal, and other amps that Im not interested in. If I had 600$ in cash, by all means would I follow your suggestions and get a nice used amp such as a 5150/6505, or something like that. Unfortunately I do not have that luxury. And I did answer your question about the god forsaken combo amps, I said I have a full stack I'd like to run and I ALREADY HAVE A COMBO AMP.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Oct 4, 2009,
If you can only go new, then I'd recommend the Bugera over the Valveking.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
If you can only go new, then I'd recommend the Bugera over the Valveking.

Why thank you. That's probly what I'm going to end up doing, if Peavey would include the pedal with the Valveking, I'd consider that one, but I guess I'll just wait 2 weeks to get the 6262
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
This guy really doesn't deserve to be helped, just throwing that out there. If you come asking for help, don't get angry at those who try to help you. He's not coming in acting like a know-it-all jerk, he's just trying to offer a helpful suggestion. Maybe consider having some self control and you wouldn't have to spend excessive amounts of money mediocre gear.
Gear:
Fender USA Standard Strat
1972 Aria "Lawsuit" Les Paul

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb w/Randall cab
Traynor YCV40

Effects: (working on it..)
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
Quote by Lovecannon
I said I have to use the Zzounds Pay as you Play plan, because I need this amp ASAP and I dont have time to save up 600$ in cash. I burn through money like a MF so I need a monthly payment or else Id never save up that money. I am limited to what ZZounds has in my price range. SO STOP TWEAKING THAT THERE IS BETTER GEAR IN MY PRICE RANGE! The only other stock Zzounds has in that price range is a Crate FlexWave, various Line 6 Spiders, Peavey Windsor, Epiphone So-Cal, and other amps that Im not interested in. If I had 600$ in cash, by all means would I follow your suggestions and get a nice used amp such as a 5150/6505, or something like that. Unfortunately I do not have that luxury. And I did answer your question about the god forsaken combo amps, I said I have a full stack I'd like to run and I ALREADY HAVE A COMBO AMP.

I honestly don't even know where to begin.

You need to learn some self control and maybe take some anger management. You posted a question so you can't flip out on people when they give you an honest answer. God forbid that someone try to offer advice that would benefit you more and help you in the long run.

A Peavey 6505 isn't really a nice amp - its pretty fizzy and has sub-par cleans. Don't start throwing amps out at people saying "I would buy this [insert amp here] if I had the money!" because no one has made any other suggestions. Stop trying to look smart and intimidating because you're just making yourself look like a total jackass.

You could get something like an Ampeg VH-140c used for around $300 - it would completely kill the VK and the Bugera (and a 5150/6505 for that matter).

Also, you mentioned a Windsor in there somewhere - it would be better for thrash than either the VK or the Bugera, however you would need an external dirt pedal if you wanted to go into more modern tones like the metalcore that you mentioned.

As for your justification for getting a head - that's is the absolute lamest excuse that I've ever heard. There is nothing wrong with owning more than one combo. I own a couple combos, a couple heads, and a few cabs. The point I was trying to make is you could probably find a combo that would fall into the payment plan thing that you "have" to use that would suit your needs better than either of the amps you mentioned.

But if you insist on having the original question answered, the Bugera would be a better choice than the VK.

Now stop throwing your little temper tantrums and act like you have some sense.