Hey, I'm looking at getting a bass cab to use with my guitar, but a guitar head with it.

If I'm getting a 200w 8 ohm Bass cab, how many watts and ohms should the head have?

Thanks.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

well your head should be 8ohms to match the bass cabinet i guess and the same with the watts, you can have less watts but not more...why do you want to use a bass cab, i cant really imagine it sounding that great...definitely bassy though
I tried to make a signature listing all my gear, but I couldn't for 2 reasons.

1. I couldn't remember all my gear
2. My signature was too long for UG to process.
Quote by MidEvilDeath
well your head should be 8ohms to match the bass cabinet i guess and the same with the watts, you can have less watts but not more...why do you want to use a bass cab, i cant really imagine it sounding that great...definitely bassy though

Why not, alot of guitarist past and present have used bass cabs. The Fender Bassman seems like a popular choice.
Would a bass amp with 1 15" rated at 200w sound like a 200w guitar amp? Because I know guitar amps sound louder with less watts.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by TheBigProjekt
Would a bass amp with 1 15" rated at 200w sound like a 200w guitar amp? Because I know guitar amps sound louder with less watts.

The cabinet doesn't determine the volume. A 200w rated cab with a 200w guitar head will be 200w. The only reason bass amps seem softer is that you need more power to make the low frequencies from a bass as loud as the higher, more easily heard frequencies from a guitar. As long as you're playing guitar through a guitar head, it will be about the same volume regardless of which type (guitar or bass) cab you're using.

TL;DR: Yes.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
The cabinet doesn't determine the volume. A 200w rated cab with a 200w guitar head will be 200w. The only reason bass amps seem softer is that you need more power to make the low frequencies from a bass as loud as the higher, more easily heard frequencies from a guitar. As long as you're playing guitar through a guitar head, it will be about the same volume regardless of which type (guitar or bass) cab you're using.

TL;DR: Yes.

Ah, so the guitar tones are "easier" for the bass cab to produce?
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

Quote by TheBigProjekt
Ah, so the guitar tones are "easier" for the bass cab to produce?

Essentially.

Basically (and I'm probably messing some of this up, but the concept is the same), the lower the frequency of a note, the harder it is to hear, and so you'll need more power to make it as loud as a higher frequencies. Because guitars put out those higher frequencies, a 15w guitar amp (SS) will sound louder than a 15w bass amp (also SS) even when they're at the same settings. It doesn't matter much to a bass cab what frequencies are running through it, but the higher ones will always be louder.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
Essentially.

Basically (and I'm probably messing some of this up, but the concept is the same), the lower the frequency of a note, the harder it is to hear, and so you'll need more power to make it as loud as a higher frequencies. Because guitars put out those higher frequencies, a 15w guitar amp (SS) will sound louder than a 15w bass amp (also SS) even when they're at the same settings. It doesn't matter much to a bass cab what frequencies are running through it, but the higher ones will always be louder.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. ^^
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.

Quote by TheBigProjekt
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. ^^

No problem. So feel free to use that bass cab, just match wattage and ohmage and you'll be fine.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
i do this sometimes because i like the tones my head produces by the low end and sheer power of the bass cab, and since it has a tweeter is has no problem putting out pinch harmonics or high soloing.