I'm trying to improve speed and accuracy in my fretting hand (who isn't?) I would really appreciate some tabbed exercises I can do quickly.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
first thing that comes to my mind is this...

e------------------------------1234---------------------
b------------------------1234------2345--------------
g------------------1234------------------2345--------
d------------1234------------------------------2345---
a------1234-------------------------------------------etc
e1234------------------------------------------------------

I always start off a good practice session with this, it really helps losen up the fingers and warm up alternate picking
E|--------------------------------------------------------------1--2--3--4--
B|--------------------------------------------------1--2--3--4--------------
G|--------------------------------------1--2--3--4--------------------------
D|--------------------------1--2--3--4--------------------------------------
A|--------------1--2--3--4--------------------------------------------------
E|--1--2--3--4--------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.guitartabcreator.com

This exercise helped me out a lot. All of it is alternate picking, start off slow, then speed up (using a metronome is very helpful). After reaching the top, do the same except going down. After, start over again except one fret higher.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
Also

E|-----------4--1--------------------5--2--------------------6--3-----------
B|--------3--------2--------------4--------3--------------5--------4--------
G|-----2--------------3--------3--------------4--------4--------------5-----
D|--1--------------------4--2--------------------5--3--------------------6--
A|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.guitartabcreator.com

This helped out for sweep exercises and accuracy. Just keep going up chromatically and you're golden
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
When I was just starting to work on forming my technique, I did the same as all the posters above are suggesting. I had all the books and articles from players with great technique and they too suggested the same kind of drills. Midless drills for long periods of time every day. I followed every instruction perfectly and while I could notice the improvement after a few weeks, I was getting burnt out on guitar.

Of course I stopped worrying about technique until I began to take private lessons on Jazz and Classical specifically. This introduced me to a whole new group of guys with fierce technique. They could pull off every run any rock guitar hero could do with smoothness and fluidity in their playing and could keep that pace while improvising (real improvising, not licks)

So I was then taught both the classical and jazz approaches to technique and to my surpirse no boring drills! They both focused on playing musical pieces that focused on some part of technique. Whether it be slurs, tremelo, or just plain speed runs. Now you are building solid technique without the bore of repetitive drills.

Instead of drills look up some violin studies or the Classical Studies for Pick Style guitar book and play the pieces (keep in mind you still need to practice to a metronome and play slow enough to get through with zero mistakes ten times out of ten). Also, play a difficult solo you are wanting to learn while focusing on maintaining your technique. I also go through each of the big scales I use in playing (major/minors/diminished/whole tone/pentatonics) and got through playing every interval type. First as single notes (lower-higher/higher lower) then double stops. So as you are getting technique type patterns you are getting your scale forms down and learning some good melodic patterns for improvising (Three birds with one stone?)
I take a major scale and go up and down in first position. Then move to the second degree of the scale and go up and down, then the third, then the fourth, and so on all the way up and down the fretboard. Or I do it with a minor scale. Or I pick a fret and go up and down going through every major scale that has that note in it and I just start on that degree so it changes every time. But really the other stuff is great too, sometimes im in the mood to do chromatic stuff actually :p
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

I'm not going to post a testimonial; all that I am going to say is that you should really search this forum before posting this. This is like the most common question I see aside from people who dont understand music theory.

Steve via exercises are great though. Props to whoever suggested them.

Also learn the backing for this track for stretching purposes, and use the backings for learning to change keys while you are soloing.
http://www.shredknowledge.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=484:joe-satriani-lesson-soloing-in-all-12-keys&catid=162:artist-spotlight&Itemid=282

It's a Joe Satch trick and trust me even a guitarist who has been playing for ten years will feel it.
play exercise, modes etc that range more than one ocative. 1234 is wrong, just wrong. it'll get you nowhere
--------------------------------------------------------
Quote by RustyGold
play exercise, modes etc that range more than one ocative. 1234 is wrong, just wrong. it'll get you nowhere

Actually chromatic scales help sooo much because you develop little quarks where you cant do certain things with your fingers. If you start having those sort of problems where you get finger-tied and stuck in the same motions when you are soloing 1234 type exercise's can be really useful.