I used to have a jackson Ps-37 preformer and it had the best neck ever. every since i sold it i have looked in to geting a higher end jackson, but everyone i have played has a thicker neck than the preformer. I have played a SLSMG, a pro series DK2M, RR3 and a few other random jacksons. none of them as thin as the preformer. I am looking in to buying a RR24 and was wondering which neck it would have. also why is there such a hugh difference in the neck of these jackson and the one i had and what guitars do they have with the same neck as the ps-37?
We must be talking some pretty thin neck here. I have a DK2 and the neck on that is super thin. Ever considered buying a neck from.... say... stewmac?
the reason i sold the ps-37 was because i hate bolt on necks. so buying a neck is out of the question and the RR24 is neck-thru
Believe it or not, Jackson's neck vary.

Shapes like the RR or Soloist have thicker necks, whilst the Kelly, King V, and Warrior have thinner necks.

But the RR and Soloist necks are baseball bats, more like 60's LP. The other shapes have necks that are in between a Wizard and a 60's neck.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Snake™

Shapes like the RR or Soloist have thicker necks, whilst the Kelly, King V, and Warrior have thinner necks.

But the RR and Soloist necks are baseball bats, more like 60's LP. The other shapes have necks that are in between a Wizard and a 60's neck.

Saying that the RR and Soloist necks are like baseball bats is not exactly accurate- the necks are all the same.

The RR's neck dimensions are 12” to 16” Compound Radius / 304.8 mm to 406.4 mm, the Soloist is 12” to 16” Compound Radius / 304.8 mm to 406.4 mm, the Dinky is 12" to 16" Compound Radius / 304.8 mm to 406.4 mm, the Warrior has a 12” to 16” Compound Radius / 304.8 mm to 406.4 mm.

Now compare that to a Les Paul:
a typical '59 neck (measured at 1st and 11th frets)
22.5 mm (.885") and 25.0 mm (.984")
a typical '60
20.5 mm (.807) and 22.0 (.866")

That is quite a difference. A Soloist neck is very wide, but it isn't fat like a LP's.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
My jackson's neck felt about as thin as my RG's, but had much better action and fretwork.
The neck plays like a dream if you ask me.
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
I've got two Jackson DX10D's. One is an 06 and one is an 09 model. The 06 has a noticeably thicker neck than the 09. Both came out of Japan.

This year they started making the DX10D's out of basswood instead of alder so I don't know if they redesigned the neck slightly in the process or what but the 06 is definitely thicker.

On a side note, the basswood guitar is lighter and brighter but I like the alder on the 06 a lot better. It just feels like a more quality guitar. The basswood one feels kinda cheap compared to the alder one. Really the only reason I bought another one is because they did the DX10D in Hot Pink this year and I think the paint is awesome. I'm bringing back hair metal bitches.
Quote by Snake™

From a SL2H owner and a Les Paul Classic owner:
The Jackson necks and the '60s necks are TOTALLY different. Other profile, other wideness, other thickness, other neckjoint, other scale, other finish, other woods, other frets. I can't imagine hwo you can even compare the 2.

@ TS: If you like superthin necks, go ibanez, but know that a superthin neck costs you tone and sustain. That's also why I prefer Jackson over Ibanez (that + the compound radius + the overall feel of quality).

This is why Paul Gilbert has designed his own neck at Ibanez: "This neck is beefy enough to deliver the sustain and resonance I want, but still has the playability that Ibanez is famous for. It will allow you to shred, with TONE."
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Oct 4, 2009,
I like fast necks too, but i need a bit of girth in my hand too.
The neck on most jacksons for me is PERFECT.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I hate the necks on an ibanez. yes they are thin but the contour is kinda squared. by that i mean has a large flat spot in the center and has a hard contour at the edges. this is why i only play ESPs and jacksons. also im looking for a v and i dont think ibanez makes a v any more.
Quote by slayne827
I hate the necks on an ibanez. yes they are thin but the contour is kinda squared. by that i mean has a large flat spot in the center and has a hard contour at the edges. this is why i only play ESPs and jacksons. also im looking for a v and i dont think ibanez makes a v any more.

It sounds like you want a V neck profile. Aka a neck style that gets thicker as you get to the middle.
^No, he means a flying v shape.
I prefer Jackson and ESP necks as well. In fact, if I could get an ESP Thin U neck with a compound radius (250mm-305mm) fingerboard, it would be perfect for me. Compound radius necks can achieve lower action with less relief and less fret buzz than most other necks, are easier to set up, and are generally more comfortable.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
I prefer Jackson and ESP necks as well. In fact, if I could get an ESP Thin U neck with a compound radius (250mm-305mm) fingerboard, it would be perfect for me. Compound radius necks can achieve lower action with less relief and less fret buzz than most other necks, are easier to set up, and are generally more comfortable.

I know that, I mean a V neck profile seems like it fits his bill since he hates flat necks.
I have a DK2, I love the neck too. I also play a Les paul of my bandmates sometimes, the neck is so different, but actually still really good. It seems for me the fatter necks suit the baseball-bat grip player better and more comfortably, allowing for better control bending with the thumb over the neck. The thinner D necks are better for the thumb behind and doing shed stuff and even gives you a tiny bit more reach. I also don't mind bolt-on necks, there are some advantages over neck-thru.
I dont like V shaped necks, and i hate flat necks. my jacksons contour was a constant curve and the same with the esp. ibanez necks have a huge flat spot that makes it feel squared. A neck dosent have to be flat to be thin.
Quote by Richmanofaction
Saying that the RR and Soloist necks are like baseball bats is not exactly accurate- the necks are all the same.

The RR's neck dimensions are 12” to 16” Compound Radius / 304.8 mm to 406.4 mm, the Soloist is 12” to 16” Compound Radius / 304.8 mm to 406.4 mm, the Dinky is 12" to 16" Compound Radius / 304.8 mm to 406.4 mm, the Warrior has a 12” to 16” Compound Radius / 304.8 mm to 406.4 mm.

Now compare that to a Les Paul:
a typical '59 neck (measured at 1st and 11th frets)
22.5 mm (.885") and 25.0 mm (.984")
a typical '60
20.5 mm (.807) and 22.0 (.866")

That is quite a difference. A Soloist neck is very wide, but it isn't fat like a LP's.

I meant to say for some reason, they seem a bit more fatter than say, a Kelly neck. It may be just me though. My RR24's neck feels a bit thicker than other Jackson necks, so maybe thats why. My bad.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Last edited by Snake™ at Oct 4, 2009,
when I played a jackson at a store, I forget which model really but it was a neck through. The fretboard felt "flatter" than other guitars, I really liked the feel.

I love the look of ibanez s' but like one of the posters above the neck felt weird with the large flat spot, im not quite sure what to feel about it.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by Shinozoku

You can actually get the action lower on a neck without a compound radius. Compound radius necks were invented for comfortable chords on the lower frets and a easy soloing on the higher ones. The flatter the radius, the lower your action can be since you'll be able to bend without fretting out your notes. But with compound radius necks, you have to adjust the action to compensate for the lower frets, which will be higher than what you can get on the higher frets. The action will be different on different parts of the neck, but it will never be universally "low" like you can get on a neck with a static radius.
slayne827 I feel ya, I bought a Jackson Fusion Deluxe in the early 90's. It's a little beat up now and the neck is well worn and need of a fret replacement or two, but it's by far the best playing neck for my personal playing style that I have ever experienced. It's the rosewood 24 fret with dot inlays. I'm now on the lookout for another neck just like it to build a strat copy.
Jackson import necks were very inconsistent between the '90s-mid/late 2000's on some models. Some of the '90's necks were the thinnest ever.
I've always wanted a Fusion just because of the 24.75 scale differing from the standard 25.5 scale Jackson uses.

btw...I think bumping old threads is frowned upon.
Quote by chaosinsues5
Jackson import necks were very inconsistent between the '90s-mid/late 2000's on some models. Some of the '90's necks were the thinnest ever.
I've always wanted a Fusion just because of the 24.75 scale differing from the standard 25.5 scale Jackson uses.

btw...I think bumping old threads is frowned upon.

Definitely not the most appreciated thing here for sure.

Try to watch the dates of the threads next time folks.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.