Hey, all

In my Arch Design class, I have access to CNC laser cutting and a CNC router. So I've decided I'm going to build myself a "custom" V. It will be heavily based off of a the offset Randy Rhoads V with a cutaway like the ESP Alexi models.

Anyway, down to what I actually wanted to ask:
I want a Seymour Duncan AHB-2 in the bridge and an EMG-60 in the neck. My only problem is the possibility that volumes of the two pickups will be too different. I don't want to switch pickups and find out that I need to turn up the master volume on my peavey just to hear myself.
So what can you all tell me about the compatibility of these pickups? I understand that it would be completely possible to mix them, but what about the volume, timbre, etc. of these pickups.
Also, has anyone mixed Blackouts and EMGs?
I hit up the searchbar and didn't find anything, I also decided that this was not something to be putting in the EMG thread, just so you guys know that I did look.

Thanks for any input, guys.

Have a sizzlin' day,
AJ
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Quote by Emoishboy
I want a Seymour Duncan AHB-2 in the bridge and an EMG-60 in the neck. My only problem is the possibility that volumes of the two pickups will be too different.
Always a possibility. Less likely, as the AHB-2 has provisions for a jumper to allow 2 different output settings.

Quote by Emoishboy
I don't want to switch pickups and find out that I need to turn up the master volume on my peavey just to hear myself.
You could always install a fixed voltage divider network to dial down the volume of the louder pickup. Sort of a "preset volume control" for that pickup, only.

Quote by Emoishboy
So what can you all tell me about the compatibility of these pickups?
Not a damned thing. You're in mostly uncharted waters.

Quote by Emoishboy
I understand that it would be completely possible to mix them,
Why would you think that? They both are Active pickups with medium-low impedance outputs. They are both designed to use 25k pots. No reason the outputs can't be mixed together, like pair of EMGs or a pair of Blackouts.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
SYK,
I was actually looking at that... I wanted to throw in a switch over those jumpers so I can have an onboard boost.
I googled a fixed voltage divider network... it's not something I would have thought of. Sort of like throwing in another potentiometer... but without a knob. Does this have the same drawbacks as rolling back your volume? (less saturation, loss of sharpness in tone, etc.)

And as my last comment on your post- You and I both know how stupid people can be, SYK.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Have a sizzlin' day,
AJ
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Quote by Emoishboy
I googled a fixed voltage divider network... it's not something I would have thought of. Sort of like throwing in another potentiometer... but without a knob.
Yep.

Quote by Emoishboy
Does this have the same drawbacks as rolling back your volume? (less saturation, loss of sharpness in tone, etc.)
Yes and no. Actives don't have nearly as much loss of treble when you roll down the volume as passives do. The resistance of the pots is much lower. So the capacitance of the cable has much less effect when the volume is dialed back.

Less saturation? Absolutely. You're reducing the output level to create a better match to a pickup that has less output. No way to get around that.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Emoishboy
Hey, all

In my Arch Design class, I have access to CNC laser cutting and a CNC router. So I've decided I'm going to build myself a "custom" V. It will be heavily based off of a the offset Randy Rhoads V with a cutaway like the ESP Alexi models.

I want a Seymour Duncan AHB-2 in the bridge and an EMG-60 in the neck. My only problem is the possibility that volumes of the two pickups will be too different. I don't want to switch pickups and find out that I need to turn up the master volume on my peavey just to hear myself.
So what can you all tell me about the compatibility of these pickups? I understand that it would be completely possible to mix them, but what about the volume, timbre, etc. of these pickups.
Also, has anyone mixed Blackouts and EMGs?
I hit up the searchbar and didn't find anything, I also decided that this was not something to be putting in the EMG thread, just so you guys know that I did look.

Thanks for any input, guys.

Have a sizzlin' day,
AJ

Output volumes can be fixed with adjusting the pickup height, can they not?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores