Alright, so many of my friends tell me when I'm just fooling around and making fun of 80s rock singers, or even some power metal singers, I start to sound like I could actually do it.

What I need is some technical help.

a) how would I go about utilizing my head voice, or even accessing my falsetto (is this even needed?) to work in the "harsh" manner needed for that kind of rock music?

b) how would I control the "harshness" without tearing up my vocal cords? (note: I have NO interest in screaming and growling)

c) how much of this singing do you think is based off personal character and outgoing-ness? (that is to say, most rock singers seem like they're performing a mini-opera, very eccentric kind of)

Thanks for any help you can provide. I will shortly post a demo of me singing when I have some time (hopefully by Tuesday night!) so you can critique and see where I'm coming from!
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
The famous power screams (Like the jim gilette one) it's actually a form of screaming, though you can't **** up your voice from it as far as I know. It's alot of diaphgramic breath support and proper technique.

It's a hell of alot of practice. Until you can do the high notes (Which is going from chest voice, into head voice, then falsetto with no noticeable gaps, or staying totally in head voice) with vibrato don't even try to get harshness into your chord. Get the basic singing pitches technique down, then go for the harshness....
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Thanks for the advice! I'm watching some videos about it on youtube... lol...bad place for information, but it's a start
A lot of those guys didn't go into falsetto very often.

Sure, Bruce Dickenson has an intensely high voice, along with guys like Brad Delp, Rik Emmet and Steve Perry. Even Steven Tyler.

Some guys with higher voices that didn't often go into falsetto, but who had more 'manageable' ranges (ie. not crazy high) were Joe Elliot from Def Lep, Vince Neil from Crue, Brian Vollmer from Helix, Stephen Pearcy from Ratt, and Jani Lane from Warrant. Brett Michaels from Poison has an average-ish pop tenor range.

So, a lot of those '80's bands just had good singers - not ones who necessarily had to specialize in screams or anything.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I just want that type of voice, not necessarily the screams. I just love that... vibe. Like Bon Jovi and stuff...
Bon Jovi is a great singer. Maybe not technically great, but he always sound good. Funny, though, that many of those really high parts.... they're backing vox done by Richie Sambora.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.