I picked up guitar by ear. I learned by myself, watching other people play and picking up chord formations in books.

Now I know a lot of theory because of school and stuff, but I still rarely apply it. I've never been worried in extremely technical technique (I mean, I alternate pick and know how to let my muscles relax and stuff), but I don't strive to be super fast shred machine.

Anyone just take this laid back approach? It's taken me a long time to get to where I am (6 years of playing) but I feel solidified in the fact that I've progressed slow and thoroughly rather than rushed...and will continue on like that by just playing a little every day for fun, rather than for practice.

Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Imo, I think it doesn't matter how good you are at guitar. What matters is, are you having fun? If you are, then you're the best guitarist you can be.

Me personally I just learn any song that I like, and usually I learn many things by learning that song.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Oct 4, 2009,
My experience of guitar is based on licks. When I hear something I like, I learn it, but not necessarily the whole song.

Whenever I'm playing with somebody else I focus on creating music.
:p
When I just got my guitar (starting 2006) I just played songs I liked by reading tabs at first it was ok so I could get used to actually play the guitar and used to thought that I had no need for knowing technical aspects of music and stuff because I believed I'd understand the mechanics of playing a guitar just by playing songs, that until I got stucked and bored of playing what was written and found out that I couldn't create anything if I didn't know
how all of this stuff works, also used to never try complicated songs (I listen to SOAD, Linkin Park, Slipknot, Mudvayne,etc...and only cared about learning their songs) and didn't progress too much and wasted a lot of time that I could have used learning and pushing myself a little further. I mean, by the end of 2007 I didn't know how the hell to form a chord or anything like that and just today I finally learned about scales and modes.

So I'd recommend practicing and learning theory from day one, BUT dedicate more time on playing for fun and applying everything you've learned and never be afraid of pushing yourself a little further and keep progressing, never stop, there's always something new to learn.
Oh yeah, I know theory, scales, modes, chord formations, etc. I know how to use legato, sweep picking, arpeggios, everything you can think of :P

I mean it's there, I know what it is. I'm just saying, a lot of people spend so much time on it they forget why they play guitar, and eventually drop it because they get so stressed out...

I tried classical once and hated it. Not because it was hard, just because reading off paper was so emotionless...
well to be honest there's no reason why practice can't be fun as well, can't help but think that maybe you're trying to justify where you're at.

Some people just have different ideas of where they want their technique at, so you have to practice to get where you want to be.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
if you don't find practise fun, or at least playing songs fun, then you don't really like guitar.
I love playing guitar and playing songs xD I was just saying that I found the repetitious technique parts very boring and hard to continually do on a day to day basis. I try and switch it up a lot so I don't get bored of exercises :P
For me. I practice then i'll try whatever I practice as a little jam session.

I'll end up jamming for a while so I think this boosts my playing.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
I've learned a small amount of theory. But I still play about 90% by ear. The only time I ever really put theory into practice is determining key if I'm going to solo.
Do whatever makes you happy...that's why you picked up the instrument in the first place, right?

You'll find most people who pick up the guitar for the ladies or to impress others don't have much of an expectancy in the long run.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Ya, i mean you should just put in as much effort that makes you happy.

I have a laid back approach. when i practice, i don't have a schedule and just go with the flow. sometimes i'll do scales because i feel like it. or sometimes i'll work on a new song. or sometimes i'll just play every lead i know back to back. i have a lot more fun this way then sticking to a set routine.....
I think practice can be fun if you don't over do it. 15-30 minutes of good practice is good every day or so, unless your really focused on a specific technique.

I personally am working on my speed playing and its a lot of fun. I love feeling my progress. Its enjoyable.
Quote by hippieboy444
I think practice can be fun if you don't over do it. 15-30 minutes of good practice is good every day or so, unless your really focused on a specific technique.

I personally am working on my speed playing and its a lot of fun. I love feeling my progress. Its enjoyable.

Progress... that is the one thing that can ruin me enjoying my guitar. I am the type who believes they need a guitar teacher because I enjoy seeing results. I feel there are a million things I need to learn on the guitar and have no idea where to start. I have the basic fun techniques*coughtappingcough* almost beat to death(And my picking technique isn't horrible, until I start trying to go fast). I kinda foo around when I play, I get slightly better every time because I practice what is fun and what I suck at, but sometimes I wish I knew exactly what to practice. That is probably why I am not as god as many who have been playing for the same amount of time as I have. I really want to find a good guitar teacher because they can tell me exactly what I am doing wrong, rather than me finding it myself(my brother thinks he's good but I want to explode during his changes for power chord to power chord).

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.