Bluesy...
UG Member
260 IQ
Joe Pass is a frikkin genius on the guitar. How the hell do you play the stuff that he does? I, among others i am sure, cannot seem to play any of his songs. How would one go about learning to play in this manner?

And on a side note:
I think that Joe Pass has some of the most beautiful music ever written for the guitar. Who do you think can measure up? and i swear to god if someone says john mayer, i am going to shoot them.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Marky_Strummer
132 IQ
John Mayer

But seriously, I love Joe Pass. My guitar teacher turned me onto him and I'm glad he did!
innertom
Registered Sex Offender
63 IQ
john mayer, haha

is it his songs or is it all jazz chord solos
Bluesy...
UG Member
260 IQ
im going to shoot you both.
I am the only sane person on the planet. Does that make me crazy?

Crank the Mids
Forkman
Julian
569 IQ
I have never heard of Joe Pass before, so I'm gonna go look him up now.

Edit: Dude is loose. Not really my style, but he's got chops.
Last edited by Forkman at Oct 4, 2009,
Jimmy94
GET ON THE SNAKE
971 IQ
Joe Pass is my favorite jazz guitarist, both in a solo guitar and combo situations. The man was a genius. His playing was effortless like there was no barrier between his head and fingers, transcribing complex chord and lead improvisations simultaneously.

I especially love his work with NHOP which I chose as jazz album of the month a few months back. Northsea Nights is an unbelievable album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt2J2k7Noxo
Jimmy94
GET ON THE SNAKE
971 IQ
his album portraits of duke ellington is another great example of him in a combo setting
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You
913 IQ
I <3 Joe Pass!!!!!!

I've been seriously delving into playing some of his tunes over the past few months - and boy it is HARD WORK!! What's so incredible about his playing, is that it never sounds overtly complex - his whole chordal melody + bass comping approach is in a sense very organic in the scope of sound that is produced.

The current tune that I'm working on is called "Blues for Basie" and I would highly recommend it to other guitar players here. Even if you don't master playing the song, studying its harmony is a profound exercise in how to bridge the gap between jazz and blues, and how to use chordal substitutions to imply certain tonalities.

For instance, a really cool device that he uses in the song is, during the turnaround, instead of playing the V chord (in context of the song a D7) he'll play a Cmaj9 chord implying the sound of the original V chord (altered).

The two people who I've heard that really built upon Joe Pass' style would be the late great Mr. Ted Greene and today, Charlie Hunter. Of course Charlie Hunter has simply taken it to the next level!
Gsaws
UG's Professor Oak
87 IQ
There's a video of Joe Pass and NHOP playing Donna Lee somewhere on youtube. NHOP plays the intro note for note on upright bass
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
I have intercontinental, Joe's Blues is great

he's my favorite jazz guitarist... not that that means much considering how little I know about jazz

Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
motoko
34 IQ
Quote by Jimmy94
Joe Pass is my favorite jazz guitarist, both in a solo guitar and combo situations. The man was a genius. His playing was effortless like there was no barrier between his head and fingers, transcribing complex chord and lead improvisations simultaneously.

I especially love his work with NHOP which I chose as jazz album of the month a few months back. Northsea Nights is an unbelievable album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt2J2k7Noxo

his stuff with nhop was ****ING INSANE

joe pass is arguably the greatest thing to ever happen to jazz guitar, his playing is absolutely unreal.
motoko
34 IQ
Quote by Jimmy94
his album portraits of duke ellington is another great example of him in a combo setting

are you my lost brother or something? :P

also why does this thread have so few replies? :CC
Last edited by motoko at Nov 6, 2009,
design8r
155 IQ
i have a joe pass herb ellis acoustic guitar cd which i ADORE it is the most amazing, chilled out guitar jazz/blues cd ever...the two players basically have conversations with their guitars in every song!

what other joe pass stuff do u recommend?
Jimmy94
GET ON THE SNAKE
971 IQ
Quote by motoko
are you my lost brother or something? :P

also why does this thread have so few replies? :CC

we're all brothers here
Jimmy94
GET ON THE SNAKE
971 IQ
Quote by design8r
i have a joe pass herb ellis acoustic guitar cd which i ADORE it is the most amazing, chilled out guitar jazz/blues cd ever...the two players basically have conversations with their guitars in every song!

what other joe pass stuff do u recommend?

I've got an album I found at a used cd store called "What Is There To Say" which features Joe playing solo for what sounds like a small intimate club, it's my favorite cd of his solo work.
JAZZ_MAN919
UG's dude
86 IQ
Quote by innertom
john mayer, haha

is it his songs or is it all jazz chord solos

he did a fair amount of stuff with bands too, some is on youtube.
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You
913 IQ
i have a joe pass herb ellis acoustic guitar cd which i ADORE it is the most amazing, chilled out guitar jazz/blues cd ever...the two players basically have conversations with their guitars in every song!/QUOTE]

yeah I think you're referring to the "Seven, Come Eleven" record - it is quite a phenomenal set!

I would very highly recommend two other records which haven't yet been mentioned:

For Django & Unforgettable. The latter being the first Joe Pass album I heard, and it still remains my favorite.