Hi guys,

proper rookie, love my '70'80's funk and disco, been 'playing' since May with Yamaha active RBX374 with original strings thru Orange Crush RB20, the strings have done a lot of hours!

.....I want a nice warm deep sound, not really noticed how 'bright' my set-up is, until of all things, began playing Upside Down Diana Ross!

....not sure if I should be changing my strings yet, but bought some anyway, some RotoSound 66 swing bass 40/60/80/100 stainless roundwounds...will these make any difference?

I'm sure a 400 watt Orange would also help, but I'm only practicing and not looking to earn my keep from gigs

many thanks guys
Yamaha RBX-374, Orange Crush 20 and no talent!
Last edited by iconic at Oct 4, 2009,
If you want a deep sound, get new strings - flatwounds, perfered chrome. Then turn down the trebble on your bass, and you're reddy to rock.
If you already got new strings, why not put them on and see if it helps?
Why not listen to my songs on my profile?
With brand new rotos your sound will always be bright, thats just how they sound! I recommend focusing on the hi-mids for definition in your tone, than treble. And of course some tasty bass and lo-mids for the depth =)
Baaaaaaazz
thanks guys,

tried playing tru my headphones for the 1st time, what a difference!....maybe a shed sized amp would be good idea afterall

...the set up and I have at the moment seems more suited to to the John Taylor (duran duran) stuff I play, sounds great playing those old favorites, 'girls on film', 'rio', 'new religion' etc, more brighter tunes.

Not knowing too much still what makes a 'bass' give that creamy, fat, rich sound, is it more the action of the bass, or more to do with the amp?

By creamy, full & fat almost 'punchy', I know what I want, but can't describe it, these examples of guys set-ups say more than I can say?:

1/ Upside down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tD3Z_pEAGE

2/ Young and Company
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSEGPPgZh-8&feature=channel

3/ Streetlife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TIfEx_GYbk

4/ Girls on film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VWPz0ZRmAc

mine sounds simply more 'poppy' and twangy for want of better words, I have the bridge pick up full, no treble, full on bass, but lacks 'warmth'.

I got a feeling the answer maybe you get what you pay for, and that this what a great bass, well a great bass
Quote by iconic
I have the bridge pick up full

Don't forget about the neck pick up! That's where you'll get a more bassy, less offensive tone from. Try playing over the neck pick up as well. If I want to emulate a P-Bass tone with my Jazz I often play the neck pick up exclusively with the bridge cut out, and adjusting my tone control appropriately. You don't want to kill the treble completely, just enough so that you don't really hear it on the strings.. but it still contributes to a fuller sound. You don`t want to just adjust your EQ to either extreme (full on bass or no treble etc). It`s all about balance.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Last edited by Gsaws at Oct 4, 2009,
many thanks for the advice on the pick-ups

PS sorry to all, about the spelling mistakes in the title....doing 3 things at once! Can't edit it?

cheers guys
If I am not mistaken, your Yamaha RBX 374 has huge humbucking pickups with an active two-band EQ. That is probably why your sound is coming across as too bright. The original recordings of the songs you listed were done with Fender Precision and Jazz basses with passive EQs. That may be the solution to your problem.

Try a Fender Precision bass and a Jazz bass at your local music store and see if they give you the sound you are looking for. Stay away from flatwound strings, as they will probably never give you the slap tone that you want.

Good luck!