So, I'm trying to put together my gear; ideally, I want to be able to play a couple different styles, but if I was gonna group it under one heading, I'd cop out and say "alt rock"; think Smashing Pumpkins, big guitars, some feedback, need to be able to do both loud and crashing heavy metal songs and also softer stuff. Right now, I've been playing on a small practice amp, but I want to move up to something better. I'm using a Godin SD guitar, and my pedal set-up is looking like it's going to be mainly a Digitech Weapon pedal(Dan Donegan's signature pedal) and a Line 6 Floor POD. Can anybody recommend a good amp for this, maximum $500? Thanks in advance, guys.
I recommend you spend more on your amp then get pedals if you need them. Also will you be gigging or is just for practice?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
I agree with the one above. Pedals can give you're amp good tone but it's mainly about your pickups and your amp. I would suggest getting a peavy vypyr 75 watt. I used to be one of hose who didn't like how everyone on here likes peavey vypyrs. But then I went into guitar center and tried one out and I want one so bad. I've been considering getting a tube amp sometime soon and I haven't tried the tube vypyr but if it's anything like their solid state amps, then it must be an amazing amp except with amazing tube quality.
Alright, well let's just move on past the pedals. I already have them, since I've been experimenting with the smaller practice amp, so that' over and done with. Yes, this amp would be for gigging with. I'll check out the peavey vypyr.
hmmmmmm for a gig it can be a little tricky. Are you playing with a drummer? cuz that will make a difference on what amp to get
Yeah, eventually I'll be playing with a drummer, plus I'd like to keep up with a buddy's tube amp(don't know the wattage, sorry, but this thing's loud) so that's a concern too.
Ok. Yeah it wouldn't be too much fun if it looked like you weren't playing. I would say go for the peavey vypyr tube 60 watt. That thing will be very loud and will have amazing tone. It's only $449.00 also. I would really recommend that if it's anyhing like the other vypyrs. If it is, it should be even better cuz it's a tube amp
Quote by pedroskins
Ok. Yeah it wouldn't be too much fun if it looked like you weren't playing. I would say go for the peavey vypyr tube 60 watt. That thing will be very loud and will have amazing tone. It's only $449.00 also. I would really recommend that if it's anyhing like the other vypyrs. If it is, it should be even better cuz it's a tube amp

Yeah; we're going for blending different sounds, so it really wouldn't work if one is drowning out the other. I'll check out the peavey vypyr tube amps; thanks man.

Out of curiosity, what's your opinion on the Line 6 Spider amps? A co-worker recommends them, says he loves his, but I've never had the chance to really hear him play.
I have a line 6 spider iii and it sounds really electronic, not very good. I wouldn't recom
end them. They just came out with spider iv and I didn't like that either. I had heard some good things about the spider iv but it still sounded electronic and sustained notes kinda vibrated when they were falling off
smashing pumpkins tone would be a marshall jcm 800 with kt88 tubes, a big muff, and a strat with lace sensor pups. fender blender for that sick tarantula solo
spendy and loud.
so sorry that dont answer your question lol.

I would suggest geting a small modable tube amp like an epiphone valve junior and moding it to sound like you want
the amps are under 200
pay an amp tech to mod it (or try it yourself ;P) under 100
shure sm57 and a DI box (incase you wanna gig it) 150
To my post above, I haven't tried them buT I've heard the spider valves are good.
Quote by mickeysixx
smashing pumpkins tone would be a marshall jcm 800 with kt88 tubes, a big muff, and a strat with lace sensor pups. fender blender for that sick tarantula solo
spendy and loud.
so sorry that dont answer your question lol.

I would suggest geting a small modable tube amp like an epiphone valve junior and moding it to sound like you want
the amps are under 200
pay an amp tech to mod it (or try it yourself ;P) under 100
shure sm57 and a DI box (incase you wanna gig it) 150

Man, I am not technical at all. However, my buddy the mad scientist/electrical engineering student... Is a small tube amp gonna be able to keep up with a bigger one in terms of sound though, even with mods?

I've been looking into the Marshalls, I may have to get one; I just love that damn buzzsaw sound.
Quote by UnbrokenGlass
Out of curiosity, what's your opinion on the Line 6 Spider amps? A co-worker recommends them, says he loves his, but I've never had the chance to really hear him play.

If you're talking about the Spider III or Spider IV range, they are not worth the effort considering.

If you're talking about the Spider Valve, its a pretty cool amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
If you're talking about the Spider III or Spider IV range, they are not worth the effort considering.

If you're talking about the Spider Valve, its a pretty cool amp.

At the time I was talking about a Spider 3 or 4, but now I'm going to have to check out the Valve next time I'm at a music shop.