Hi there!

Ok, I want to learn scales, because my teacher thinks it's a good way to understand the music and the tones of the guitar.

I was thinking:
-Major Scale
-Minor Scale
-Minor Pentatonic
-(Blues Scale)

I'm wondering if there are a kind of box patterns for this scales so I can apply them in all keys I want.
I've put the blues scale in brackets (spelled wrong?) because that's one I don't reallly need to learn yet...

Please, post them in your reply if you know the box pattern or give me a link to a site.

Thank-you!
-WingedBull
In the long run you want to know the individual notes, instead of relying on patterns. I suggest you learn the notes in all keys and the notes on the fretboard.

If you want to learn the box patterns you can find them at www.all-guitar-chords.com
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
In the long run you want to know the individual notes, instead of relying on patterns. I suggest you learn the notes in all keys and the notes on the fretboard.

If you want to learn the box patterns you can find them at www.all-guitar-chords.com

Notes in all keys, do you mean the Major Scale then?
And site is ok!, ThX...
-WingedBull
Start with the major scale - learn box patterns but don't JUST learn them - learn teh scale in terms of steps (WWHWWWH) and intervals from the root (root, Maj 2nd, Maj 3rd, Perfcect 4th, Perfect 5th, Maj 6th, Maj 7th, Octave) and notes (eg C Maj = CDEFGAB) as well. That will make the other scales a whole lot easier.

Once you know the major scale, learn how to derive the minor scale from it, and learn how the pentatonics are related to the Major and minor scales.
Quote by WingedBull
Hi there!

Ok, I want to learn scales, because my teacher thinks it's a good way to understand the music and the tones of the guitar.

I was thinking:
-Major Scale
-Minor Scale
-Minor Pentatonic
-(Blues Scale)

I'm wondering if there are a kind of box patterns for this scales so I can apply them in all keys I want.
I've put the blues scale in brackets (spelled wrong?) because that's one I don't reallly need to learn yet...

Please, post them in your reply if you know the box pattern or give me a link to a site.

Thank-you!

Yes, all of those scales can be seen as patterns on the neck. The link in my sig has those & more.
shred is gaudy music
For me, the best treatment of the patterns created on the guitar (due to its unusual tuning) was the book Fretboard Logic. I recommend volumes I and II, which come together as one book. Don't bother with the third volume.

Patterns are no substitution for knowing what notes you are playing and why you are playing them but you still must, in a purely mechanical sense, know how these patterns are formed on the fretboard. Otherwise, you'll be frustrating yourself trying to carry out the double task of knowing "where to put your fingers" AND why you should put them there. These are two separate things.

The book does a much better job explaining this. I cannot recommend it enough. I still have a long way to go, but at least now I can focus on my musicality instead of wasting valuable time trying to figure out where the notes, scales, chord shapes, etc. are located on the fretboard itself. Play the patterns in the book, one by one, in every key, until your fingers move without you even thinking, and I'm sure you'll see the benefit. Then you'll see other guitarists and notice how many of them are doing the same two, three tricks. It's 'cause they're trapped inside the small handful of patterns they figured out by accident or saw in some half-assed online "lesson." Fretboard Logic will integrate the fretboard in your mind if you really read and practice it.
Last edited by Angel Martin at Oct 4, 2009,