I've been doing loads of internet forum searches on Blackstar's distortion pedals (HT Dist X, Dist and Dual) and I was fully expecting to find loads of glowing positive reviews - however that's not been the case at all.

While a lot love them, there's enough people saying bad things to get me worried - like they are not tight enough for metal, noisy, a bit fuzzy??

I would have tried them out by now but no local shops stock them and one I ordered in didn't arrive for some reason.
Quote by Chargrill3d
like they are not tight enough for metal, noisy, a bit fuzzy??

Bingo.
A friend of mine has got one and I thought it sounded great.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
I owned one and never found it fuzzy or noisy, the DistX could probably do metal not sure how tight it is though. I would recommend them to anyone they sound awesome, just go try one and get your own opinion of them.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

What about for that nu-metal sound? Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit kinda thing - I'm going to trek into London to find one on Monday
Quote by Chargrill3d
What about for that nu-metal sound? Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit kinda thing - I'm going to trek into London to find one on Monday

Yeah, it could definatly give you that type of distortion, I think the guys in Linkin Park use Mesas (I'm not sure though) & you can get quite close to a Mesa-ish sound with a Blackstar pedal
Depends on the amp you run it through. They've always sounded amazing to me, except through a Peavey Solo amp or some tiny little thing.
well the guy from johnny traunt uses the DistX as his distortion tone and thats pretty metal if you ask me

Reuben Gotto - Johnny Truant
“ I just got back from playing Wacken, and the HT-DistX sounded absolutely killer - I didn't even bother setting up a distorted channel on the amp! The emulated output feature is f*cking awesome for recording too, and perfect for writing at home between tours. It's the heaviest sounding pedal I've ever played through bar none. ”
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Yeah that Johnny Truant stuff is heavy! He also rates the speaker emulated out which is what I'm primarily going to be using.