Well..im into melodic death metal heavily. More precisely into n Gothenburg metal.

Now the thing is, i play guitar and made one composition. now my drummer wants put some drum beat that he likes. also same goes for my keyboardist. Keyboardist also changed some of my composition's chord. i feel in total my composition is as became incomplete. Like i made one Intro of composition and according to the intro riff(riff chord) i made verse. But my keyboardist changed the verse chord. Now the composition is not sounding nice(i think). Also drummer is putting some drum beats that is make my riff sound not so good. But how can i make them understand?

So what do u think? Or what is the process of making composition? Is there any System to follow while making composition? Like when one guitarist start composition then only he will tell what to put and what to not(with co-operation of other members). Im also ready if my keyboardist come ahead and he start making a new composition and he tell me what type of riff to play withing Gothenburg metal Sound. But i dont like other members interrupting badly while im making composition.

And there no thing like personal interest. i just want a good composition.

Thanks
Last edited by Free_Fall at Oct 4, 2009,
Make two versions. Have your version and your bands version. There are no set rules to follow with composition it's what you think sounds good. There are guidlines you could follow with theory but I like to work with what I can hear for a more natural sounding piece.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Happened to me too, when I came up with riffs on guitar, which also our drummer did sometimes, our other guitarist always somehow changed them into something else. Okey it sounded good, sometimes better but I didn't like when he changed my riffs all the times so I said no play like I did or we come up with something else instead and keep this 'til we need it in another song. You always have to be prepared that others might not like what you compose and vice versa, but if you don't like what they change or something that your drummer does underneath, then tell them to change it or deal with it
Quote by nigeltheginger
Now that, to anyone else who is reading, is METAL

When moshing during my own gig instead of playing guitar
Last edited by groose at Oct 4, 2009,
it's not as simple as that, groose. if I were a hired gun in his band, and he said "play it this way" then that's what I'd do, simply because my paycheck depended on it. I'm guessing though, that this is not the case. If your band is comprised of equal partners, let me ask you this: who has the strongest knowledge of applied music theory? by what I can tell from your post (which, admittedly, isn't much), I'd say you value your keyboardist's musical opinions. you might not see eye to eye on every riff, progression, or song as a whole, but in general you allow him his freedom of expression to come through the music just as much as yours. in the end, it's all about what sounds best. let a trusted third party have a listen to the various versions and think about the feedback they give you.

I've been in this situation many times with varying results. sometimes, my bandmates will do amazing things with relatively simple riffs I come up with. Other times they're not feeling it until I write a part for them, then they put their own touch on THAT part, and things usually come together nicely.

On a side note, if the drum part doesn't work, that's a major problem. go back and listen to your song with the drums as they are and chck to see if they're in time with the beat and the rest of the band. there's a fair chance it sounds wrong because it's off.

...let's just say i've worked with a few drummers who weren't exactly swiss watches.