Hey guys, I was looking into buying a 2x12 cab for my 50 watt mesa boogie head. I stumbled across this one on craigslist that has two 30 watt hellatones. am i gonna blow my speakers if i go for it?? thanks
yes, yer fine. don't worry about blowing the speaker. but you may want to find out the impedance of the amplifier and make sure it matches your head
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
50 watts would be the clean rating, right? So after distortion is taken into account its more than that, but whether it's more than 60 watts, I don't know.
My guitar build

My gear:
Blackheart Little Giant Combo
Epiphone Les Paul with Rio Grande TX/BBQ pickup set
Little Big Muff
Blues Driver
there is enough fudge room in the speaker to anticipate the clean rating on the amp. a 60 watt speaker will handle more like 70 to 75 watts so that you can match it with an amp of same rating.

-ae
All speakers are rated to match an amp of the same wattage. So a 50W speaker can handle 50W clean and sometimes up to 100W at peak, to be able to take when the amp distorts. So it's all cool!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
All speakers are rated to match an amp of the same wattage. So a 50W speaker can handle 50W clean and sometimes up to 100W at peak, to be able to take when the amp distorts. So it's all cool!

And now I know...
My guitar build

My gear:
Blackheart Little Giant Combo
Epiphone Les Paul with Rio Grande TX/BBQ pickup set
Little Big Muff
Blues Driver
Are both ratings in RMS?

It's a bit tricky really. Likelihood is that your amp will peak way over 50 watts, probably like 80-90. It's whether you like speaker distortion or not.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Well it should work but if you would be able to crank you amp a lot you may blow it out. But then again i'm not that knowledgeable on speakers so you may want to ask someone else.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Seems like you would be into the grey area where the cab will only just handle it and may produce speaker distortion. That is when the cone is pushed against the stops inside the magnet and the sound it creates is clipped. It would certainly reduce speaker life, so if you can, go for a cab with a pair of 50s in. That is nicely in the comfort zone. I use an 800w cab with my 120w head and its been going strong for about 35 years.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Juadafi
Are both ratings in RMS?

It's a bit tricky really. Likelihood is that your amp will peak way over 50 watts, probably like 80-90. It's whether you like speaker distortion or not.

very rarely do they give wattage ratings at peak. most likely it is both rms rating.

and there is likelyhood of 'rounding' the speaker(pushing it as mentioned above). some people actually prefer this sound

-ae
I just heard that with a tube amp, it could be pushing almost 100 watts at some points. and i dont want to invest in something im gonna blow out.