I have noticed lately that bands that may have been going for quite a while are starting to use more synthesizers on their new albums, take muse for example, in previous albums there have been a hint of electronics, but the guitars and piano were the main lead instrument, but with their latest album, some of the songs sound almost entirely synthesized (in terms of instrumentation), i do like the album but it took me a little while to get used to it, and i have noticed other bands doing it as well lately.

So what are your opinions on this? I think if its used sparingly it could add alot to the music, but too much leaves it sounding slightly soul-less.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
It killed Black Sabbath.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
I like it, providing its done properely it can make a great addition to a bands sound. Unlike editors new track.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by RSOB Bass
He didn't though.

It was a joke, he was saying about bands using it a lot recently and Muse have been

I like when bands use synths, just to a reasonable level
Quote by Duffman123
How dare you insult Muse

I didn't insult Muse, i love the new album but it just took me a few listens to get my head around the synth.

EDIT: I missed your last post, no harm done.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I definitely know what you mean. I feel like a lot of bands are seeking a sound that is more their own and have moved to the synth scene in hopes of a more signature sound. That and it's really simple to lay down most synth these days as opposed to the old days of analog synths that were far less predictable. Personally, I feel a lot like you do. It can be a really neat effect, but I wish it would stay an effect. You certainly do lose some soul when everything is synthesized (in my opinion). I feel the same about an over-use of pedals. The raw signal always seems to have more dynamics and life to it, but that's just me...
Some nice synth arpeggios in the background are fantastic. But too much makes me sick.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

SuperLol'd
I just don't like when Muse have the synth guy playing in the background... I don't know why, I just prefer them playing as a trio live.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Venice King
I just don't like when Muse have the synth guy playing in the background... I don't know why, I just prefer them playing as a trio live.

I can't imagine it without him though. The synth during the "No one's going to take me alive" bit in Knights of Cydonia just makes it.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by dgme92
I can't imagine it without him though. The synth during the "No one's going to take me alive" bit in Knights of Cydonia just makes it.

This.

Synth fits into some songs really well, but others not quite. It really just depends on the mood that the song is in.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Quote by urbanfox
The new Editors album seems a bit synth-heavy.

Dude all their albums are synth heavy
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Quote by ryand111
Dude all their albums are synth heavy

They aren't that synth heavy...
We have Radio 1 on at work and literally every song, if it's not f*cking AutoTune then it's a sh*tty 80's synth. Lame!
Quote by Cheesepuff
Motto I use for my band :

A little synth goes a long way.
A lot of synth goes nowhere.

Are your band signed?
Lots of synth can sound fantastic. Shoegaze, electronica, etc etc etc.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Synthesizers are really just like any other instrument. I has, admittedly, been overused in pop music more than most other instruments, but it's an instrument nevertheless.

I just think that most artists nowadays use it a bit more sensibly than was usual in, say, the '80s. Then again, there sure are artists that use it less sensibly as well

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quote by urbanfox
They aren't that synth heavy...

Yeah, their new stuff is a lot more synthy. Sadly no better than their old stuff though.

Not bad music really, just not good.